• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shikoku 88 temple pilgrimage

newfydog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
We just got a note from a friend heading out on the 1200 km Shikoku 88 Temple pilgrimage in Japan. It sounds like the Chemin in many ways.

The Shikoku Pilgrimage (四国遍路, Shikoku Henro?) or Shikoku Junrei (四国巡礼?) is a multi-site pilgrimage of 88 temples associated with the Buddhist monk Kūkai (Kōbō Daishi) on the island of Shikoku, Japan. A popular and distinctive feature of the island's cultural landscape, and with a long history, large numbers of pilgrims (known as henro (遍路?)) still undertake the journey for a variety of ascetic, pious, and tourism-related purposes.

In addition to the 88 "official" temples of the pilgrimage, there are over 200 bangai — temples not considered part of the official 88. To complete the pilgrimage, it is not necessary to visit the temples in order; in some cases it is even considered lucky[citation needed] to travel in reverse order. The pilgrimage is traditionally completed on foot, but modern pilgrims use cars, taxis, buses, bicycles, or motorcycles. The walking course is approximately 1,200 km long and can take anywhere from 30 to 60 days to complete. "Henro" (遍路?) is the Japanese word for pilgrim, and the inhabitants of Shikoku call the pilgrims o-henro-san (お遍路さん?), the o (お?) being an honorific and the san (さん?) a title similar to "Mr." or "Mrs.". They are often recognizable by their white clothing, sedge hats, and kongō-tsue or walking sticks.

The pictures look like a mixture of fantastic country, with some urban pieces.

Anyone done it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Buddhist saint Kobo Daishi was born on Shikoku in 774 and after visiting mainland Japan returned to his home where he founded the Shingon sect of Buddhism building 88 temples around the circumference of the island. (There are now around 100 temples)
Pilgrims started trekking to each temple after the saint's death in 835. This is considered to be the origin of the Shikoku Pilgrimage.

A 'real' Henro is a walking pilgrim who wears a white robe, a wide brimmed hat, carries a pole and a small shoulder bag for personal belongings - those on foot need at least 50 to 60 days for the 1600km pilgrimage. A bus takes 13 days to cover the full length of the pilgrimage, while a taxi or car can do it in 7 days.

I have always been amazed at the parallels with the Camino pilgrimage and the obvious human connectedness of the two different pilgrimage trails, on different continents, starting around the same period in history.

(I have done two 'virtual' Shikoko pilgrimages! That is, my photograph has been on two pilgrimages of the 88 temples - one in 2005 and another just last month!)

In case anyone is interested in a page of links to more info on the Shikoku pilgrimage I'll attach it here.

Attachments

• Shikoku Links.doc
    43 KB · Views: 145
  • shikoku-map.jpg
    shikoku-map.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 3,091
Thanks for all the info Sill. That "Wandering the World" link is by a guy we met on the France-Spain border above SJPP in 2002! (the link doesn't work now but his home page is still active.) He later showed up here in Oregon visiting a mutual friend. He has bcome quite the Buddhist, so I guess that trail was more influential.

I'll see what my friend thinks of the trip. We might have to put that one on the list.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A friend has walked part of the Shikoku pilgrimage.

Expect to pay over $100 per day. Indigent pilgrims are likely to be shunned (the Japanese are not big on "beggars.") Nothing is free.

Make sure you like Japanese food. There is almost nothing else (they have McDonalds and pizza some places).

Most pilgrims will be using transport. Japanese henro will arrive by the busload. Walking between the temples can be along very busy and dangerous roads.

Dress the part as a henro, or you will stand out in a bad way. Non-spiritual walkers are not really welcome, though they will be treated courteously.

A stamp is hand calligraphy and costs about 1,000 yen. You are expected to get one, and to follow the other rituals. (do the math on 88 stamps at 1,000 yen each).

You will not find any English, even on the signs (train stations excepted). The maps are in Japanese.

There are no pilgrims accommodations like albergues. Hotels and B&B's are the usual lodging.

An old friend operates a walking tour business in Japan, and he has never organized one for Shikoku because of the obstacles and difficulties involved.

The experience will be enormously different than a camino in Spain/France.

Newfydog - if you are interested in a 14 page diary of a friend who walked the whole route in 2005 let me know and I'll send it to you.
sillydoll at gmail dot com

Nice description Falcon! I've worked in Japan, so that is about what I would expect. I'm sure it is not for everyone. It will be interesting to see how our friend Lisa fares. We met her last year on a tour of temples in Bhutan and she was the only one who didn't get burned out on three temples a day.

It would be interesting know if there are particular segments which would be best.

Here's blog I'm wading through by two Aussies who spent 88 days on it, camping in all sorts of places, cooking over a backpacking stove.. Sounds like they come as close to doing it cheap and camino like as anyone could.

http://pamnjeff.com/shikoku/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jeff and Pam are seasoned trekkers and helped me a lot when I was planning my walk on the Via Francigena. Their blog was one of the few in English at the time
They have also done the Lycian Way in Turkey: http://www.pamnjeff.com/Turkey/no_camping.htm

As a neo-Buddhist and Japanophile, this is definitely on my List Of Hikes To Do Before Decrepitude!

We were lucky enough to host Sonomi, one of the camino´s only Japanese hospitaleras last year. We talked long and longingly of the Shikoku trail. So for Christmas she sent us a copy of

"A Journey of the Soul: The Shikoku Pilgrimage and its 88 Temples," a guidebook in English by Tatsuro Muro and David C. Moreton (ISBN 978-4-905702-52-8); and a good map from the Shikoku Tourism Promotion Association, http://www.shikoki.gr.jp/ . I still look through them with longing.

Other useful links are:
http://www.shikokuhentotrail.com and
http://www.henro.net/

A detailed English description of each temple can be found in "A Henro PIlgrimage Guide to the 88 Temples of Shikoku Island, Japan (2006), by Bishop Taisen Miyata, of Koyasan Buddhist Temple in Los Angeles. A "Shikoku Japan 88 Route Guide Map" is available at http:77www.buyodo.co.jp/ .

I was warned about the huge cultural and linguistic divide, how the temples and guest lodgings are subtly different from one another and a guest´s behavior is expected to vary among them... subtleties I think I will need to overcome with a Japanese companion or veteran Henro at least for the first few days. But if any of you guys is going, do let me know. I would so love to do at least part of this trail, but I would not want to strike out on it alone. Perhaps I could convince Sonomi to walk with us the first few days?

Rebekah Scott said:
I was warned about the huge cultural and linguistic divide, how the temples and guest lodgings are subtly different from one another and a guest´s behavior is expected to vary among them... subtleties I think I will need to overcome with a Japanese companion or veteran Henro at least for the first few days.

Japanese life is so full of these things. There are rules about where to sit, who to greet first, how to hand a business card etc. I usually manage to fail at most of them. I usually don't even realize I screwed up until later. My attitude has been that yes, I will be an awkward oaf, but if I am sincere and enthusiastic the Japanese polite manners will smooth the way.

I found I scored some real points by insisting I get to the office the same time they do and joining in morning exercises. They were a bit embarassed by this daily ritual and didn't want to subject me to it, but I thought they were a great way to start a day.

The language is tough. I can barely learn languages which use our same alphabet. I took some classes and made little progress. Many Japanese have had years of English but are embarassed to try to use it. You think they are avoiding you, when actually they don't want show how bad their English is.

It helps if you can see feeling ignorant and out of place as part of the fun.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One page of an email blog of a Canadian-Japanese friend of mine from 2008:
OK! Finally internet at city hall in Uwajima. Accessibility has been nil. Still a phenomenal experience personally and spiritually. Shikoku is reminiscent of Japan of the 60's. People very responsive to henros always greeting us, encouraging us with a gunbutte, giving us settai such as food and drink (cakes, tea, fruit, cookies) and taking us to the next temples by car if they are going there.

One of the most relaxing times is the ofuro at night. after an exhausting the ofuro at night. after an exhausting day of trekking. Imagine a bunch of aging naked women like me scrubbing down together until we are squeaky clean and then soaking in the huge ofuro. What a wonderful social experience. One lady was rubbing her tummy as she sat at the edge of the tub. I asked her why and said she was constipated and the combination of the hot ofuro and rubbing helps. So I tried it! It did work hot ofuro and rubbing helps. So I tried it! This worked for me too, so I am tossing out my Metamucil!!!

Traveling with Pat is fantastic. However she has a chronic bad habit. Whenever there is a ladies room she bolts ahead to find the one western style toilet (used for handicapped people) among several traditional porcelain holes in the floor. Most of the time I don`t mind squatting; however it`s almost impossible to get upright with a weighty 16 or 17 lb. backpack on my back.

Starting at sea level, we must follow roads/paths that zig and zag their way up narrow, hairpin curves. Most walking henro take 45 days and most that we meet take 45 days and most that we meet are doing it for the 3rd or 4th time. We are not among the walking henro although we do walk a good 3 or 4 hours each day.

The other day we climbed up a precarious mountain passage to get to #24. I swear it was about 1,000 dilapidated stones steps at a 45 or 50 degree incline. It was very difficult because of pouring rain and my heavy backpack. I misstepped and slipped and couldn`t get up. I managed to twist and use my walking stick for leverage. Alas the stick snapped under my weight. I should tell you that the walkingstick is considered sacred because it symbolizes the fact that Kobo Dashi (founder of esoteric Buddhism in Japan) is walking with the pilgrim. What sacrilege to snap Kobo Dashi in half!!! Later I was buying another and the only foreigner we`d met so far who had done many pilgrimages commented to Pat that was the first time he`d encountered anyone who`d broken a stick. Now he knows one!!!

I have so much to tell you, but time is running out. I`ll try to get on the internet at Bob`s in Matsuyama. I could write a book of our experiences!
Note: an ofuro is the hot Japanese bath.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
JFC, what a question. The nuclear problems are up on the northernmost islands. Shikoku is the most southern.

Someday we all will die.

Hi all

Just a follow up to some of the info above: Shikoku isn't the southernmost island of the 4 large islands, as claimed. That would be Kyushu. But Shikoku is well to the southwest of the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant, by some 700 kilometres.

That said, Nagoya University researchers on 15 November 2011 claimed there is a "high likelihood" that deposits of radioactive Cesium 137 from the reactor have spread as far as Shikoku, and as far north as the northernmost island of Hokkaido. The report is summarised (in Japanese) on the Yomiuri news website here: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/science/news/2 ... T01175.htm

The researchers belief radiation levels in these outlying regions are not so dangerous as to require immediate decontamination.

Eric

Actually, I think Okinawa is the southern-most Japanese island(s) since the U.S. "gave" it back in 1972.

Radiation from the plants was detected over the U.S. a short time after the meltdown, but at levels that require measuring single atoms. A coal-fired power plant emits more radiation. The radioactivity in the waters of southern Japan is much less dangerous than other toxic substances. None of these dangers come even close to the danger of driving down a highway, or crossing the street (for those who are accustomed to driving on the right side of the road).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ah, semantics! Falcon has mixed politics and geography -- something we all do at times. Okinawa Island is the largest island in Okinawa Prefecture, which covers all the Ryukyu Islands (literally "Southwest Islands") which extend for a thousand miles between Kyushu (the southernmost Japanese island) and Taiwan.

Japanese (political term) administration covers the Japanese Islands and the Ryukyu Islands (geographical terms).

I tread lightly here -- the relationship between the Okinawans and the home island Japanese has been fraught at times.

thanks guys for the geography update/correction.
I still wanna go, radiation and Okinawans notwithstanding. Someone said the Japanese government was considering giving a thousand or so free airline tickets to Japan to westerners who would agree to write about the country and its people in their established blogs, websites, and online media -- an effort to show scared people that Japan´s not poisonous.
I got my application in!

Reb.

A recent description:
Some Notes & Advice on the Pilgrimage Circuit to the 88 Temples of Shikoku, Primarily Conceived for Curious Non-Japanophone Parties Who Have Walked the Camino de Santiago

In the summer of 2009, in part for reasons of friendship and malaise and in part for reasons that, even now, remain obscure to me, I left my apartment in Berlin and met my friend Tom in St. Jean-Pied-de-Port; we set off in the early morning of June tenth and arrived in Santiago de Compostela some thirty-three days later, where we indulged erstwhile vices for two days before walking the final hundred kilometers to Finisterre. My account of that trip was published at indefensible length in the literary quarterly McSweeney’s, and I’ve made a pdf copy available here.

While on the Camino, I met three Japanese pilgrims, one a charming and thoughtful phd candidate in anthropology at the University of Tokyo, the other an older couple who had driven the Camino on their honeymoon and were back to see what it would be like to walk it; each of them told me about the Shikoku o-henro and suggested I might find it of some interest. I read a bit about Shikoku and readily agreed, and when Tom and I arrived at the ocean I knew I had only begun to work through the questions that, in one form or another, drew me to the Camino in the first place: what it means to travel with some vague expectation of transformation; why a Medieval religious pilgrimage had gained, over the last twenty years, such a strong secular following; what the differences are between experiencing a distant place as a pilgrim vs. as a tourist (‘tourist’ being the antagonist whose contrast helps the pilgrim understand what differentiates her journey, with its structure, its mythology, and its privation, from mere sightseeing); how pilgrimage offered history’s first pretext for an experience of elsewhere; and how pilgrimage travel provides for a satisfying ratio of obedience and belonging (you are in thrall to the authority of an old set of rules, and keep pace with others in similar thrall) to license and digression (those rules allow idiosyncrasy and surprise and nonfungible personal experience). I decided that all of this might make for a small and digressive book on pilgrimage, a kind of anti-travelogue about restlessness, borrowed authority, and communities of austere purpose; I drew up a proposal and was lucky enough to sell it, to Riverhead, a few months later. In the late winter of 2010 I took the boat from Shanghai to Kobe, and on the first of March I — along with my grandfather, who would be joining me for the first ten temples — bought a hat and a staff at Temple 1, Ryôzenji, and began to circumambulate Shikoku. I returned to Ryôzenji, this time from the opposite direction, thirty-nine days later.

I can say with some reasonable anecdotal confidence that most of the foreigners who walk the Shikoku o-henro have first walked the Camino. The Camino is an unusually vivid experience, and it’s not difficult to understand why someone might cast about, especially in the immediate post-partum lull, for something similar. Thanks to Dave Turkington and David Moreton, there is a wealth of good resources for gaijin pilgrims to be found online, but as I walked, in inevitable and constant Camino-comparative reverie, it struck me that there ought to be some information available specifically for those who have completed the Camino and are considering taking up the o-henro. The below is not intended to be a comprehensive guide; for information about the history of the circuit, where to start, what to bring, etc, I encourage you to visit Turkington’s site. (The one thing I will add to his site is that it’s absolutely possible to do it with virtually no Japanese, though I recommend you learn at least the numbers and basic greetings before you go; it’s also pretty useful to learn the kana, but that’s slightly more of an investment. There are also excellent iPhone Japanese/English dictionaries that made my interactions considerably easier.) The following is, rather, an ad hoc catalogue of advice I might have wanted to hear between finishing the Camino and setting out for Shikoku. I’m afraid much of this will seem discouraging, but that’s not my aim. The Shikoku o-henro is not particularly fun, or at least not fun in the way the Camino frequently was, but it does have distinct rewards of its own. (That said, the one American I walked with for a few days in Shikoku said that he found the Camino much more difficult, emotionally and physically, but he had done it in February and admitted he was carrying something like sixty pounds of luggage for some reason.) If you go into the o-henro expecting an experience that much resembles the Camino, however, you will no doubt find yourself disappointed and frustrated, and I offer the below advice with the idea that the sooner you abandon the hope that it will feel like a Camino de Santiago with sashimi rather than bocadillos, the better off you will likely be.

I’m more than happy to correspond about either the Camino or the Shikoku o-henro, especially with those who have done one and are considering the other, and can be reached at gideonlk [at] gmail [dot] com.

1. The Shikoku o-henro is vastly more difficult than the Camino de Santiago.

It’s not just that the o-henro is, depending on whether you visit the bangai or not, four to six hundred kilometers longer, though there was a brief moment of despair when I got to Matsuyama and realized I’d just completed the equivalent of the Camino and still had two weeks to walk. Ninety percent of the Camino is on paths of one variety or another; ninety percent of the o-henro is on asphalt roads. Imagine the last fifteen or so kilometers arriving at Burgos, when you come down out of the mountains on that exceedingly pleasant forested trail, abruptly hit a road, walk the access lane around the airport, and then consider killing yourself as you trudge along a four-lane exhaust-cloud artery lined with blocky warehouses and ferreterías. That interim right there is, with little exaggeration, most of the o-henro, though the o-henro has the additional pleasure of long, airless tunnels, as well. The trail is rarely quiet and almost never soft, and at times the proximity and speed of the traffic makes it feel unsafe. Much of the trip looks like this, but with a parade of trucks:

empty road

When it is quiet and soft, it’s because you’re going up and down mountains. These are almost without exception the most pleasant and memorable stretches of the o-henro, but they are also far more strenuous than almost any given section of the Camino. There are at least two days that are as long and arduous as the Camino between St. Jean and Roncesvalles, the climbs to T12 and to T60, and there are more than a dozen stretches that are steeper than the ascent to O Cebreiro (the approaches to T20, T21, T27, and, though it’s short, T35; the two passes between T36 and T37; the pass between T39 and T40, entering Ehime Prefecture, and then the one between T40 and Uwajima City; the two passes between T43 and Ôzu City; the long, unbroken ascent from Ôzu City to T44, and then the constant up and down to T45 and back; the peak at T60; the trail and steps to T71; the plateaux at T81 and T82 and then at T84; and, finally, the advance upon T88, if you take the path rather than the road.) These sections are, as I’ve said, far more appealing:

Hiking boots are almost certainly overkill and will hurt your feet on the asphalt more than they’ll help you in the mountains; I recommend the most comfortable and thickly padded running sneakers you can find. They’ll get soaked when it rains but there’s little you can do about that, and you ought to have an opportunity to dry them at night.

2. The Shikoku o-henro has not, at least to my knowledge, been parsed into stages the way the Camino has, nor does it lend itself to an easily adopted itinerary.

This is perhaps even more difficult to grow accustomed to than the asphalt. The Camino requires almost nothing in the way of logistical effort or skill; even if you chose not to walk with a guidebook, the xeroxed sheets they give out in St. Jean, and which are available along the way, break it up into thirty or thirty-one stages of average difficulty. Even if you don’t follow the normal, prescribed stages, you very rarely find yourself having to walk more than eight or ten kilometers, at the absolute most, without finding an albergue, and you never have to make a reservation in advance. As far as the actual trail goes, there are yellow arrows approximately every four feet, so even the world’s least oriented bozo can make his or her way without too much trouble.

None of this is true for the o-henro. It is possible that, for Japanese speakers (as I said, I can’t count myself among them), there are websites and books that say things like, ‘If you want to finish in about forty-five days, we suggest you walk to T8 on the first day, T11 on the second, T12 on the third, T17 on the fourth,’ and so on, but as far as I can tell nothing of the sort exists in English. Even if it did, however — and I’ve given some thought to offering a proposed forty-five-day itinerary here, and may yet do so — it wouldn’t be nearly as useful, because you’ve got a much narrower margin to tailor it to your own pace. There are plenty of places along the henro trail without an overnight accommodation for twenty kilometers, which means that you’ve got to put considerably more thought into how you break up the route. (This is especially true if you’re sleeping in henro huts, which can be few and far between, though it’s not quite as true if you’ve got a tent; more on accommodation in a moment.) Furthermore, the henro trail, while apparently much better than it once was, isn’t marked nearly as well as the Camino is, which means you’ve got a far better chance of getting lost, and the stakes are much higher when you do. Incidentally, the same thing goes for food; you almost always have to at least pay attention to the prospects for the next two meals, since it’s not unusual to go eight hours without much in the way of a market.

Insofar as there’s a solution to this, my advice is, if you can afford it, to stay in the ryokan and minshuku, especially the recommended ones (David Moreton has starred some in his guidebook, and they seemed like universally good recommendations). The inn proprietors will know the local henro trail and, even if you don’t speak Japanese, they’ll be able to help you make an informed and reasonable decision about the next day’s leg, and then will be more than happy to make a reservation for you for the next evening. I stayed at some places where the proprietor even had a local map with distances indicated; there were two ryokan marked at twenty kilometers, another at twenty-four, another at thirty, and so on, so I could just tell him I’d been averaging about thirty-five clicks a day and he had an immediate recommendation. One time I told a ryokan proprietor that I was planning on making a certain temple the next day and he insisted it was too far for one day and made a reservation for me five or six kilometers closer; he was right. The other thing that only the locals will know is the condition of the trail. Especially if you’re walking in the early spring, as I was, there will be places where the trail is in bad shape, and a local will, for example, tell you to take a parallel road instead of the usual one. There is no other way to know this sort of thing; you can try to ask at the temples themselves, but especially when there are big bus tours you most likely will not get the same quality of attention. Overnighting at places that are going to be able to give you advice like this is invaluable, and once I figured that out I wished I’d been doing it from the beginning. They are also just obscenely comfortable:

That said, it’s far more expensive; as the various websites mention, a night in a ryokan or minshuku without food will cost anywhere from 3500—4500¥, and with food (two meals) will be 6000—9000¥. Without food this is still cheaper than a hotel (business hotels tend to run around 4500—6000¥/nt), but it’s certainly not budget travel. Having spent the first half of my o-henro sleeping outside — in huts and bus stations and once in a mountain shrine — and most of the second half in ryokan and minshuku, I can say with no hesitation that the latter is a much easier, more pleasant, and less anxious way to make the circuit. It’s also, even if most people won’t speak much English, less lonely. (See next note.) If you are going to sleep outside, do bring a tent, and if you’re going to start before April you ought to make sure your sleeping bag is rated to below freezing.

3. The Shikoku o-henro is profoundly solitary.

One of the wonderful things about the Camino is that you’ve almost always got the option of company; if you want to walk alone, you can, but if you hit the old slough of despond there’s usually someone to walk alongside for an hour or a week. This is not true in Shikoku. On an average day on the island, I probably saw two or three other walking pilgrims, though there were days I saw a dozen and days I saw nobody at all. I met four foreigners: a fifty-year old American sleeping mostly in huts, a young Australian couple with a tent, and a nineteen-year-old American whose notes in guestbooks I saw along the way and whom I finally encountered at T88. There was also apparently a Quebécoise some days ahead and a Swiss woman about a week behind. That was it, and I’m given to understand that even that was a lot. I met four Japanese walkers who spoke some English and wanted company, but that was only toward the end, when I was staying more consistently in ryokan and had a chance to meet other henro on foot. For me a significant aspect of my Camino experience was the rich and spontaneous community that Tom and I found ourselves a part of along the way, and the loneliness of the o-henro was something that, even if I was aware in the abstract that I’d be mostly left to my own devices, I was not entirely prepared for.

4. You absolutely need a map.

This is more of a corollary to #2 above. Most of the people we met on the Camino didn’t have a guidebook; they either had the xeroxed stage recommendations or nothing at all. The signage and relative frequency of villages and albergues make this possible. But there is simply no way to do the o-henro without a guidebook. The only English map book is the one David Moreton put together, which is available on his website. In the attempt to make a book small enough to fit in a pocket, though, the maps in the Moreton book aren’t always drawn to the most useful scale, so my strong recommendation is that you also purchase the standard yellow Japanese map book; it’s available everywhere once you arrive and isn’t very heavy. Though it takes a little getting used to — the maps are cut up in counterintuitive ways, and there’s no consistency to where north is, so you’re always spinning the book like some paper DJ — but they’re extremely helpful once you’ve gotten used to them, and they contain much more information (including a great deal of topographical detail) than Moreton had room for. They also show all the alternative routes with the varying mileages marked off; for the most part Moreton only indicates major alternatives, and often it’s hard to tell from his maps what the differences are and which is the standard route. Use the two together. It’s worth the extra weight.

5. It will definitely rain and will probably rain a lot.

I know that most people hit inclement weather over the Pyrenees or throughout Galicia, but Tom and I were lucky enough to have only about ten minutes of rain the entire Camino. In Shikoku it rained for about half the time I was on the circuit, and often it poured. One day it hailed. And if you start, as I did, on the first of March, it will be cold enough in the mornings for gloves; when I walked toward T44, up and out of Ôzu City, there was frost on the windshields, and by then it was almost April. I think, in retrospect, that I started a bit too early — weatherwise I’d suggest starting closer to April 1, if you can — but I was worried that it would be hard to travel during Japan’s Golden Week, the first week in May, so I wanted to finish by then.

6. There is no internet.

This seems like a trivial thing, I know, but many people start the Camino thinking they’ll be in only very intermittent touch and then are pleased to discover that so many of the albergues and cafés have internet available. The other foreigners I met in Shikoku were all planning, they told me, to blog, but were surprised to find pretty much no internet at all outside of the four provincial capitals. All Japanese people have internet on their phones, so there’s no need for an internet-café infrastructure. That said, if you’re resourceful you can find it — at, for example, the Michi-no-Eki stops, or at the town and prefectural offices — but if you’re looking to blog or be in regular touch you ought to bring along an iPhone or iPod Touch that you can use over wireless networks. (Even the smallest villages usually, with a little searching, had an open wireless network somewhere.) I advise against a laptop for reasons of weight and of rain.

I may update this page as new suggestions occur to me, but for the moment that covers what I think anybody considering the circuit ought to know. If you’ve done both pilgrimages and have further suggestions, by all means please do be in touch.

— Gideon Lewis-Kraus

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have a stepson (and step-grandson) living in Japan so I've also been eyeing this particular pilgrimage. After reading all this, it doesn't look too inviting to the inveterate walker. But on a motorcycle...hmmm :p

Rebekah, do you have the free flight website handy? My wife is a journalist and I think could do the trip justice.

My wife and I (I'm American, she's Japanese) are opening a guesthouse in Matsuyama, Shikoku on the o-henro trail, 5 mins from Japan's oldest onsen, Dogo, in early March, 2012. We plan to offer "self-guided tours" to both give a taste (2-10 days) of O-henro and to advice/instruct on how to walk the pilgrimage. The tours entail an introductory orientation/workshop on the pilgrimage and your specific route-including Japanese that is useful on the trail, full booking of accommodation, maps/literature of the route you'll be walking, optional luggage service from accommodation to accommodation and full support while on the trail. The orientation will take place at our guesthouse in Matsuyama, you will take public transport (train/bus) to the start of your requested route, then walk back to Matsuyama (2-10 days) on the pilgrimage route.

Our aims are: to help bring more foreigners to experience the pilgrimage, to offer something that is more digestible to most travelers to Japan who want to try the pilgrimage and to help people learn "how" to walk o-henro. Please check out our website for more information: senguesthouse-matsuyama.com

In response to the posting by falcon, I know Gideon and he has a certain perspective and had a certain experience on his pilgrimage. And though while a lot of the information is correct, very well written and necessary, I feel the overall mood of the piece is to say, "it's different than the Camino in a bad way." And to this I wish to offer a different perspective.

I have walked both pilgrimages and though they are totally different, both are amazing and offer different things to the walker. The 88 temple pilgrimage is a lot more solitary and the walking is more challenging. I found the "highs" were higher and the "lows" were lower on the shikoku pilgrimage than the Camino. The Camino is a lot more social and it's a lot easier to understand what's going on (for westerners anyway). The 88 temple pilgrimage will take you out of your comfort zone and throw you into a totally new culture-one that is highly introspective and humbling. It literally changed my life and I truly wish all to experience it.

I do hope to see more foreigners on the 88 temple pilgrimage, and if you do come to walk it, come by and visit us sen guesthouse-would love to hear your experiences over a cup of coffee!

Matthew Iannarone

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll see you in September 2013!! I plan to be in Kobe in October for a school reunion, so will walk around Shikoku before it. O-cha I have had, but kohi? That will be a treat. I don't suppose an entire ceremony has been developed for it ... :D

Hi everybody!
I have walked the Cammino de Santiago last summer and now i am writing a thesis on the Shikoku henro (since i am studying japanese culture) and i would like to walk this route one day as well. Does anybody know any web sites where i can find more specific information about the shikoku henro dealing with the amount of people walking this route every year and showing statistical data??
thank you very much to all of you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back