• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

shin splint

gypsywind

a number of things I have read has stated that shin splints has put an end to a number of caminos. Any preventative measures I can take to avoid that.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
a number of things I have read has stated that shin splints has put an end to a number of caminos. Any preventative measures I can take to avoid that.
Hi gypsywind (sigh... found memories from my childhood of gypsy caravans, horses and dogs and hanging around the campfires in the hope that the old stories of kidnapping children were true so that I could run away to an adventurous outdoor life - I was 7)

Shin splints. Yes, there are postings on this forum of how they ended Caminos but also some really excellent advice on how to treat and avoid:
@Al the optimist First Aid on the Camino and @Physio_pilgrim A Physiotherapist's guide to injury prevention and management on the Camino

If you are really concerned I would talk to a physiotherapist and/or a podiatrist and have an assessment done. My hubby is prone to them and had a couple of occurrences on the Camino but managed them partly due to his physio preparation beforehand.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My own non-professional opinion is that it's the asphalt that is the primary cause. I've been told that when your foot strike is the same km after km it puts too much pressure on the same parts of the body. When the terrain is uneven, it mixes it up more. That makes sense to me. And as the caminos (particularly the francés) becomes more and more paved, this is an inevitable result. So whenever I hit a stage of paving, I go to great lengths (some would say ridiculous lengths) to walk alongside on dirt, in weeds, whatever it takes to avoid the asphalt.

Though I know there have been some contrary findings in the press recently, what works for me is -- wearing silicone, never hard plastic, orthotics; icing my shins regularly after walking, whether they hurt or not. (I also ice my heels, but for another issue); elevating when I can. There's the RICE acronym, so I've got the rest, ice, elevation, but not sure what the C is or whether any of this works.

And if you're wondering about how to get ice, I always carry a small plastic bag at the ready. When I stop walking, I go to a bar for a drink and ask if I could have some ice in the bag. I've done this hundreds and hundreds of times and the only time I got a "no" was at a bar in Logroño in the square next to the cathedral in 2002 or 2003. Of course I have to sit outside since it's not very nice to have melting ice dripping all over the floor.

Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My own non-professional opinion is that it's the asphalt that is the primary cause. I've been told that when your foot strike is the same km after km it puts too much pressure on the same parts of the body. When the terrain is uneven, it mixes it up more. That makes sense to me. And as the caminos (particularly the francés) becomes more and more paved, this is an inevitable result. So whenever I hit a stage of paving, I go to great lengths (some would say ridiculous lengths) to walk alongside on dirt, in weeds, whatever it takes to avoid the asphalt.

Though I know there have been some contrary findings in the press recently, what works for me is -- wearing silicone, never hard plastic, orthotics; icing my shins regularly after walking, whether they hurt or not. (I also ice my heels, but for another issue); elevating when I can. There's the RICE acronym, so I've got the rest, ice, elevation, but not sure what the C is or whether any of this works.

And if you're wondering about how to get ice, I always carry a small plastic bag at the ready. When I stop walking, I go to a bar for a drink and ask if I could have some ice in the bag. I've done this hundreds and hundreds of times and the only time I got a "no" was at a bar in Logroño in the square next to the cathedral in 2002 or 2003. Of course I have to sit outside since it's not very nice to have melting ice dripping all over the floor.

Buen camino, Laurie
C=compression

I had some shin pain for a few days on my camino in November. I think a period walking in sticky mud was partly to blame - the weight on the shoes and the need to pull up my foot a little differently. Walking uphill (with foot constantly flexed) was painful and it would improve when I reached level ground or downhill. However, it is hard to avoid those conditions if they exist.

For a few days I applied antiinflammatory ointment (not sure that it did anything, but maybe...), slowed down my pace significantly, made sure my boots were laced comfortably (not too tight) and fortunately the pain went away.

P.S. Just reread the links provided by@peregrino2000. I agree with the advice to shorten your pace and not use long strides. Trying to walk side-by-side with someone can be a problem, even if the difference in pace is very slight.

Long distance running tricks here, do a search for shin splints stretching exercises (way too many options to link here), you can try short and low pace (keeping your pace low to the surface, almost sliding but beware of uneven surfaces), and as previously discussed here use of some ointment such as BenGay Pain Relieving Cream for temporary relief during the walk, and for long term relief after your walk just RICE it (relax, ice it, compress it, and elevate it), a plastic bag with cold water or ice will do the trick, don't fill it up to the top, let some space for the bag to fold around the critical area. And last, but not least, just put your PMA (positive mental attitude) hat on and hit the road, everything is going to be fine. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For Gypsy Wind and Mister Rob. Mister Rob, thank you for the link to the calf compression sleeve. Yes, I have used a similar product during my workouts (long distance running), however, the correct size is required in order to prevent circulation problems. Another option is an elastic shin wrap, this one can do the trick in case of circulation issues, it is easy to adjust.

This is what I use, I keep a pair of elastic shin wraps handy. Bottom line, try the compression sleeve (correct size), and in case of circulation issues try the elastic shin wrap (easy to find, available at drug stores). Let me insert a caveat emptor here, what works for one person may not work for everyone (concur with Miss W.M. on consulting a professional physiotherapist and/or a podiatrist if you are really concerned).

Thank you, good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Whilst no expert and certainly not a medical professional here are some thoughts.

I developed them coming into Leon and then really hammered them with the decent into Molinacesa.

I got advice from Physio's along the way and through personal trials and efforts to reduce the pain I found:

1. Stick to your natural stride. Particularly don't try to extend your stride to keep up with someone else.
  2. Use walking poles. Properly. Don't use them as 'outriggers' dangling from your wrists. Use then to take real weight off your legs. This requires downward and rearward effort.
  3. Step short going down steep hills. Almost tip toe down to avoid jarring. Put extra weight on your poles which should extend in front of you on the steep sections.
  4. If you develop foot or leg problems that are causing you to limp. Don't. Make an effort to walk naturally. Limping will just cause strain on other muscles as they try to compensate. (Physios kept advising this)
  5. Learn some simple taping techniques. It's worth asking a Physio to show you and to understand the different types of tapes. Farmacias seem to stock some good tapes. I tended to use non elastic 15-20mm wide tape mostly. Though I also tried elastic. The tape supports the shin muscles rather like a compression tube does, to stop the muscles 'bouncing' as you walk. Before I got the proper tape I used Duct tape for about 15 kms. It helped....
  6. Avoid walking on concrete and tarmac whenever you can.....

This is the technique I used for shins.

Very easy to do yourself.

For Achilles Tendonitis, the technique is a bit more complicated, but once you see a Physio do it you can copy it is a passable fashion.

The best thing though...........it to get some 'professional' advice before you go. Well worth the cost of the visit I would suggest.

Just a note on tape. I had one Physio in Arzua fix me up with that elastic KT tape. I didn't find it as effective as the plain old non elastic tape.

I just found this on a Government Health website which seems to make sense. Just note it is advice for Athletes rather than hikers specifically ....

Prevention of shin splints
Ways to reduce the risk of shin splints in future include:
  • Thoroughly warm up before exercising and include plenty of slow, sustained stretches in your cool down.
  • Incorporate a regular routine of stretching into your fitness program.
  • Strengthen the muscles of your lower legs with specific exercises.
  • Choose flat, softer surfaces to run on, such as running tracks or grassy ovals. (Not easy on a Camino)
  • Reduce the intensity of your training.
  • Place shock-absorbing insoles in your running shoes. (this was advice for atheletes hence running shoe reference)
  • Make sure you wear proper running shoes and replace them before they wear out. (this was advice for atheletes)
  • Cross-train with low-impact activities such as cycling, swimming or walking.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back