• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shin Splints pre-Camino

alwaysbeseeking

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned to start late July 2023
Hi all. I’ve been training for the Camino since early May and planned to start in 1.5 wks, but recently developed some pretty bad shin splints (ugh). My physical therapist said I need 2-6 weeks without walking long distances for the bone to heal (to avoid stress fracture, as my shin splints are likely bone related). I’ve already been resting a week, so that means 1-5 more weeks. Then once I start walking again, I need to ease in slowly. I’m extremely bummed. Just looking for ideas as to how people here would deal with the news.

I’m debating between pushing the trip back a month and just easing in slowly at that point (though changing flights, work coverage, etc will be a pain), leaving the trip as planned but biking most of the way (though that makes me pretty sad), or a combo (push it back a couple weeks, walk/bike as feels right). I’m also very sadly considering skipping SJPDP to Roncesvalles, as I don’t want to stress my legs out of the gate. I welcome any thoughts!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I developed a shin splint after a week on the Camino and feared it would end my pilgrimage. However, I found a way to tape it, used voltaren on it, shortened my stride and it eased up over time. By the time I finished, it was a non issue. I took a day off in Burgos and Leon, otherwise averaged 25 km per day for 5 weeks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am prone to shin issues including shin splints - and they do take time to properly heal if they are 'bad'. I did finish a camino for 2 and a half days with them and I was miserable but determined and it took a good month before I felt recovered.
If it was possible to push the trip back-even if it was hassle - I would probably do that. None of the options are what you really want...

I developed a shin splint after a week on the Camino and feared it would end my pilgrimage. However, I found a way to tape it, used voltaren on it, shortened my stride and it eased up over time. By the time I finished, it was a non issue. I took a day off in Burgos and Leon, otherwise averaged 25 km per day for 5 weeks.
Thanks. Appreciate this response!

Have you considered compression shafts as a support while recouperating...
I use CEP product with good results.

1689511867696.png 1689511922155.png

They are a hassle to apply but they help plenty on the pain and the support is bounty..

Run it by your physio. I had to abort at Muxia, with no shops open and on a holiday. Took the morning bus to SdC, jumped a plane home and went straight for the drawer for these fellas. Never again will I forget to bring them. End of hellish pains....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Based on my own experience with shin splints that developed on the Camino Frances last year, I think you’ve enough time to heal, not completely, but enough. Compression stockings will help a lot, as will stretching, now and while walking the Camino. I found that Cinfadol, a topical anti-inflammatory liquid helps as well. It’s available at pharmacies all along the Camino.

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpeg
    IMG_0489.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Hi all. I’ve been training for the Camino since early May and planned to start in 1.5 wks, but recently developed some pretty bad shin splints (ugh). My physical therapist said I need 2-6 weeks without walking long distances for the bone to heal (to avoid stress fracture, as my shin splints are likely bone related). I’ve already been resting a week, so that means 1-5 more weeks. Then once I start walking again, I need to ease in slowly. I’m extremely bummed. Just looking for ideas as to how people here would deal with the news.

I’m debating between pushing the trip back a month and just easing in slowly at that point (though changing flights, work coverage, etc will be a pain), leaving the trip as planned but biking most of the way (though that makes me pretty sad), or a combo (push it back a couple weeks, walk/bike as feels right). I’m also very sadly considering skipping SJPDP to Roncesvalles, as I don’t want to stress my legs out of the gate. I welcome any thoughts!
Has your physio reviewed your gait? It may be that your foot is not flexing sufficiently.

To your original question: there’s a world of difference between coping with an injury which develops en-route; when I’ve resorted to any physical, pharmaceutical and even spiritual intervention I could get my hands on and setting out with an injury. The latter would be ill-advised IMHO.

One exercise you could do while rehabbing (and as preventative for anyone else who's reading this) is what I call "tibia pumps", which you can do sitting down! Extend one leg and PULL your toe towards your chest repeatedly (do not "flex and point", just "pull and release"). Usually I would say do it til you feel the tibialis muscle burn, but if it's already inflamed then build more slowly and carefully between your icings. Do it at least as often as you brush your teeth (maybe during!) Building this often overlooked muscle will help it from freaking out when you throw a mountain at it. (Yes, I am a certified personal trainer with many years of experience, live on flat shores year round and just did the Primitivo without a whisper of shin splints). Good Luck and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks. Appreciate this response!
Do not discount shortening your stride. When your heel hits the ground, your foot rotates forward until it is flat on the ground. A longer stride increases the angle between your tibia and your foot when the foot hits, putting more strain on the shin muscles. A short stride reduces the pull on these muscles and eliminates the microtears that cause the pain.

I also taped using this technique. https://blog.physical-sports.co.uk/2014/09/15/taping-for-shin-splints/ I used leukotape and reapplied every 3 or 4 days. It really helped. When I finished, I took the tape off and could feel the difference (not in a good way) as I walked around Santiago. I reapplied for my walk to Muxia.

I’m also prone to shin splints, my first Camino changed drastically because of them. Like others I highly recommend compression socks, they’re really quite miraculous. I like Sockwell merino, they have a great cushioned sole as well. If you could wait another week or two, get yourself some socks and be open to possibly biking part of the way should problems arise I think you’ll be fine. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
That worked for my husband as well. In Leon there was a health tech that a new friend pilgrim found out about, located near the cathedral plaza. He taped her leg & she slowed down her pace & did well to Santiago with no extra rest days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
IMHO, shin splints are caused by over-enthusiasm. Your stride is too long, you are walking too fast, etc. Your legs beg you to slow down, but you push yourself.

Get as much rest as you can (you won't get out of shape by getting this rest) and use this time as a wake up call to listen more carefully to what your body is telling you.

I think we've all been there - I know I have - and needed to take a sip of the drink called "humility."

Don't distress about doing or not doing parts of the Camino. Your experience will be one you won't forget and, if you are called, you can always go back later and do the parts you skip.

Shin splints generally are not bone stress fractures. They’re the result of weak / strained muscles, typically on the front and sides of the calf, that don’t get much specific strengthening, even from walking or hiking. While walking the Camino, I saw many pilgrims afflicted with them, myself included. To save my legs, I skipped the high route to Roncavalles and did an overnight in Valcarlos, and it helped.

On my return, I wrote up a strengthening guide for patients (I’m a podiatrist) that helped me and many patients. One specific muscle may be overloaded, but it helps to strengthen all of the lower leg muscles for better balance.

The advice on shortening your stride and wearing compression hose is also good.

I’d be glad to share this PDF handout - just send a PM. Good luck

Shin splints generally are not bone stress fractures. They’re the result of weak / strained muscles, typically on the front and sides of the calf, that don’t get much specific strengthening, even from walking or hiking. While walking the Camino, I saw many pilgrims afflicted with them, myself included. To save my legs, I skipped the high route to Roncavalles and did an overnight in Valcarlos, and it helped.

On my return, I wrote up a strengthening guide for patients (I’m a podiatrist) that helped me and many patients. One specific muscle may be overloaded, but it helps to strengthen all of the lower leg muscles for better balance.

The advice on shortening your stride and wearing compression hose is also good.

I’d be glad to share this PDF handout - just send a PM. Good luck
You can add it to the resource section of the forum if you would like.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can add it to the resource section of the forum if you would like.
Yes, weak muscles! A strong tibialis will also prevent hyper extension and "toe slapping" with a long stride. I take very long strides and quickly roll through my foot without hard striking. I'm not a super athlete, just a very experienced trainer. You can support with physio tape what the muscles can't, or slow down and enjoy the scenery for now. But try to prepare your muscles to do the work for next time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Push it back. I delayed my trip 2 years because of Covid. It will be worthwhile to wait till you are physically strong enough.

Be careful - I walked through shin splints for the last 150 miles of the Portuguese last December and returned home with a significant oblique stress fracture of the right tibia and developing stress fracture in my left tibia and spent 1.5 months in a wheelchair and an additional 4 months on crutches. I’ve had to listen to concerns about bent legs (due to the oblique fracture) and the possibility of a rod in my leg.

I did distance consult with my doctor during the Camino but …

Your mileage may vary but I’ve done this rodeo before.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
IMHO, shin splints are caused by over-enthusiasm. Your stride is too long, you are walking too fast, etc. Your legs beg you to slow down, but you push yourself.

Get as much rest as you can (you won't get out of shape by getting this rest) and use this time as a wake up call to listen more carefully to what your body is telling you.

I think we've all been there - I know I have - and needed to take a sip of the drink called "humility."

Don't distress about doing or not doing parts of the Camino. Your experience will be one you won't forget and, if you are called, you can always go back later and do the parts you skip.
I think that you are right about walking too fast and striding too long. My first bout of tendinitis was on day 12 after Beldorado. I was fit and we were walking rather swiftly along the flattish route. On my second Camino (Podiensis) my tendinitis started when I was about a week into the walk. By that stage, I had gained a lot of fitness and had finished the steep climbing sections, and reached the flatter high Aubrac plateau where I was able to walk much quicker. It is so cruel to finally be feeling mountain and long-distance fit and enjoying every step, to suddenly getting shin strain and having each step be a stab of burning pain turning each day into a grueling ordeal. It was 22 days for the Camino Frances and 11 days for Podiensis before my pain eased and I could walk comfortably again. Although I enjoyed each of those days, the pain made it quite an ordeal and the days much longer and slower for my companions, but I did get to find out exactly what sort of person I was when the going really gets tough which is something that you really don't get to find out living in our soft, comfortable, modern, peacetime lives. However, I now know this and really don't want to repeat this lesson again.

A good thread that I found when I search for "shin splints prevention."
In the last couple of weeks, I've started training for a March '24 Camino and started feeling some strain on the outside of my lower shins. I think they came because I started walking up and down the one big hill in my town with a 9 kg backpack. Nothing serious yet, but I know I don't want to go there!

Shin Splints are what turned me into a bicigrino on my last Camino! It's good that it happened now and reminded me that I have to be cautious in pre-training and that this is what I have to train against.

I think many camino dreamers don't realize that the primary reason people give up on their Camino is because of lower leg injuries.

The shin splints preventative exercise sheet posted by @Penbaysail , a podiatrist, seems quite good and I started those exercises today.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/shin-splint-prevention.834/

I also added the exercise where are you try to pick up a towel with your toes and repeat those 10 times. And lastly, another exercise I learned was to lay on the bed with your feet, slightly elevated and "write" the alphabet with your feet.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.