• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shipping an item waiting for me in Santiago when I arrive

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014), VdlP (2018), de Levante (2022)
In early September I'll be going from Malaga to Santiago. I have a great duffle bag that I'll be storing my hiking boots and backpack as luggage while traveling by air to Spain. What are some suggestions to transport this empty duffle bag and a couple of other small items I would like to have when I arrive in Santiago? I would rather not carry abandon the duffle bag, but would need it for my return flight.

Appreciate in advance your ideas.

Greg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Greg,

I always do the same thing. When I arrive in Spain, I pack up the duffel and those few small items (neck pillow, headphones for airplane, etc) and ship them via Correos to Santiago. Ivar has a great service in Santiago -- and Tinca has given you the link in the above post.

This may be way too much overkill, but what I do is collapse a sturdy box and put it flat into my backpack before I leave. I also wrap a lot of box tape around one of my hiking poles, all of which I carry on the plane. I bring pre-addressed sticky labels (note that to use Correos you have to have a return address in Spain, so I always just list the address of my first stop). When I arrive in Spain from the US, I make up my own box and present it to Correos. I started doing that once when I was in a place where Correos didn't have any boxes and it was a huge hassle. I think they do have boxes now, but I have just gotten into this habit, it's part of my pre-Camino ritual, and it usually costs about 8 euros to ship my small box to Santiago.

Buen camino, I would love to hear how you like the Mozarabe from Malaga, it's one of my possibilities for 2017!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Greg,

I always do the same thing. When I arrive in Spain, I pack up the duffel and those few small items (neck pillow, headphones for airplane, etc) and ship them via Correos to Santiago. Ivar has a great service in Santiago -- and Tinca has given you the link in the above post.

This may be way too much overkill, but what I do is collapse a sturdy box and put it flat into my backpack before I leave. I also wrap a lot of box tape around one of my hiking poles, all of which I carry on the plane. I bring pre-addressed sticky labels (note that to use Correos you have to have a return address in Spain, so I always just list the address of my first stop). When I arrive in Spain from the US, I make up my own box and present it to Correos. I started doing that once when I was in a place where Correos didn't have any boxes and it was a huge hassle. I think they do have boxes now, but I have just gotten into this habit, it's part of my pre-Camino ritual, and it usually costs about 8 euros to ship my small box to Santiago.

Buen camino, I would love to hear how you like the Mozarabe from Malaga, it's one of my possibilities for 2017!
Thank you Tincatinker, your information was spot on!!
Thank you Peregrina2000, your information on bringing a folded box, tape and preaddressed labels is great information. I'll certainly keep you posted as to my hike on the Camino Mozarabe/Malaga. It seems to be one of the less traveled Caminos until Merida on the Via de la Plata.

Thanks everyone here. This is a great piece of information! We will definitely take advantage of this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back