• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes for the Norte route in June and July.

Chevychase

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese. Norte
What shoes should we wear on the Norte route in June and July? Light boots, trail runners or hiking sandals? We start in Irun mid June and finish late July. We have completed the Frances and the Portuguese but this was in April and May so we had cool weather then. We are from Zululand so we will be okay with the heat. Thanks for the forum.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What shoes should we wear on the Norte route in June and July? Light boots, trail runners or hiking sandals? We start in Irun mid June and finish late July. We have completed the Frances and the Portuguese but this was in April and May so we had cool weather then. We are from Zululand so we will be okay with the heat. Thanks for the forum.
We have just finished part of Del Norte from Bilbao to Santander (4 days @ 34km per day). We derived our own route primarily along the coast. I would highly recommend sturdy but lightweight hiking boots for many parts. There are sections that involve walking alond road also, which is where we switched to trail runners. (we carried 9kg each with 2 pairs each). Depending what weather you do get, sections along the coast require sure footed Ness but mostly OK. One thing I would recommend are hiking poles... Not so much for hiking (we rarely use them), but we did have multiple encounters with dogs that we had to ward off.

I am very surprised about the dogs @Setanta88 - maybe the locals have become complacent during Covid and are not tying up their dogs. When we walked the Norte we did not have a single encounter with an unfriendly dog. Those that barked or looked aggressive were always tied up or enclosed.

I would expect June and July to be hot.

I wore good hiking sandals all the way on the Norte, and they were fine. We did have a few days of intense rain, and I particularly remember one day of relentless deep mud (up a mountain, with logging trucks churning up the path) but I sloshed through in my sandals with waterproof socks for warmth, and washed the mud off at the end of the day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I walked the Norte I had one encounter with two dogs, the small terrier was snapping at my ankles and the other one had the most ferocious bark but had no teeth, they stopped as soon as I passed by the yard they were obviously protecting

I have walked the Norte in October and November, Irun-Santiago. I have also walked 5 other caminos. First I would say to each his own, your feet are pretty personal. I have always walked in Trail Runners and I use Toms slippers as my albergue and nighttime shoes. I would completely disagree with a previous pilgrim who said to walk in boots. I am a huge klutz and have walked in rain, sleet, ice storms and snow. If it is really bad use your poles to steady yourself and take your time. It can be hot in the summer and there is alot of road walking if you don't know the variants. I think you are asking for big blisters with boots. Also my very unscientific research about blisters in 6,000K of Camino walking tells me that by far more people get more blisters and more severe blisters with boots than with Sandals or trail runners. This is not backwoods hiking in really rugged terrain it is the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have also walked the del Norte in October and November (wet, wet, wet) and 5 other Caminos but not 6000 km.. It may be more in my mind than on the end of my leg, but for the del Norte and the Primitivo I prefer the security of ankle support with (very light) boots, plus the mud protection. (But I am an old, overweight man.) However, on our first Camino my wife bought Keen sandals in Gijon and ditched her expensive Lowas -- because of an infected blister that she got after 3 weeks walking blister free. And I do carry one pole. Each to her and his own. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back