• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Shoes...gore-tex or breathability?

tohams

What does your experience on El Camino tell you?

I've been using La Sportiva trail runners that I've been happy with. Well, yesterday, I got my custom orthotics in. Now the shoe feels too small. It's fine...my lawn mowing shoes badly need replacement anyway.

I leave for El Camino the last weekend of Septmeber, so I will do my walking mostly in October from SJPDP. Given the season, would you recommend I get shoes with gore-tex (e.g. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-us/ViewProduct.mvc.aspx/15496M/0/Mens/Intercept-GORE-TEX?galleryId=M-F) or something that "I've heard" breathes better (like my current La Sportivas)?

I am scared of blisters, so leaning towards well ventilated shoes. I have yet to get any in my training walks (as much as 15 miles) though, so that's encouraging. But I also haven't walked in the rain and am not sure how that would feel with shoes that leak like a sieve.

Ideas?

Thanks!

TerryB

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Norte/Primitivo (April/May) 2009: Norte/Primitivo (parts) (April/May) 2010: Inglés (May) 2011: Primitivo (April/May) 2012: Norte / Camino de La Reina (April/May) 2013: Camino del Mar / Inglés (May/June) 2015
tohams said:
I also haven't walked in the rain and am not sure how that would feel with shoes that leak like a sieve.

Hi tohams,
Not sure where you are based but you need to visit a GOOD sports shoe shop! If you read back on this forum you will find those who swear by Gore-Tex and those who curse it! each to her/his own. My 500 mile+ boots (Norte / Primitivo) are Hi-Tec Altitude lV with Gore-Tex. They had a serious work-out on the Primitivo with water and mud most days, even when it was not raining. I had no problem with wet feet or blisters, mainly I think because of 100 miles or so walked in 'training'. I also wore 3 (yes that is THREE) pairs of socks!! A very thin wicking liner (from Rohan) a light pair and a heavy pair of mohair socks from Corrymoor. angora goat hair socks DO NOT SMELL. My boots are a size 8 at least a 1/2 size too big, 71/2 was too small even with only thin socks. The other thing I did every day was powder my feet and inside my boots with 'Fungusol' therefore no vaseline! A couple of 'hot-spots' I covered with 'Dermomed Fix'. I tried Compeed but, like waterproof elastplast it won't stick to my skin! I also found I needed to tighten my laces after 10 - 15 minutes walking in the mornings. Feet can warm up at night and cool down AFTER putting boots on. You may need to ajust laces several times in the day.
"Fungusol" and "Dermomed Fix" you can buy in Farmacias in Spain.

Buen Camino!
Tio Tel

andy.d

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
TerryB said:
tohams said:
I also found I needed to tighten my laces after 10 - 15 minutes walking in the mornings. Feet can warm up at night and cool down AFTER putting boots on. You may need to ajust laces several times in the day.

I also find stopping once an hour and taking my boots off for 5 or 10 minutes helps the rhythm of the day and really prevents blisters,

Andy

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I wore New Balance trail shoes ( I feel like a commercial) and never had a blister.
I had one or two "hotspots" which I immediately slapped Compeed on - blisters never developed.
The few times my shoes got wet, they dried overnight.
They were comfortable and more than sufficient -
I took a pair of Tevas to wear in the evenings.

Advertisement

Booking.com