• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shortcut between Calzadilla de los Hermanillos and El Burgo Ranero?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos tonight and would like to know if anyone has walked the road between this alternative route and El Burgo Ranero?20190529_184025.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @trecile, I remember crossing it. Typical rural Spanish back-road, nearly wide enough for two vehicle but not for two vehicles and a Pilgrim. I don't suppose it carries much traffic except during school-run, ploughing, planting & harvest.

Did you have a particular reason for leaving the Calzada Romana? I remember it as a really enjoyable day and an easy divert to Reliegos if you are desperate for an encounter with the Elvis Bar (reportedly closed?). I've taken the side trip to Graceland but walked back to the Alto to continue into Mansilla along the old track. The Calzada offers a few, brief, moments to place your feet on the original Roman road surface. The alternative is, to quote St John "modern senda running along an asphalt road parallel to the motorway". I've never walked it so I can't comment.

We continued on the alternative route until reliegos we then had a short walk from alternative route to get to a cafe for a coffee and tortilla. I loved Calza dilla and had a good meal at Albergue via trajana also visited the little shop

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The only reason I was asking is that I do like to stop in a bar after about the first 8 km for breakfast and a bathroom break. 😊
And after the 17 km between Carrión de los Condes and Calzadilla de las Cuezas yesterday I'm not anxious to repeat a long morning walk so soon. But I can certainly do it if the alternative isn't safe.

The only reason I was asking is that I do like to stop in a bar after about the first 8 km for breakfast and a bathroom break. 😊
And after the 17 km between Carrión de los Condes and Calzadilla de las Cuezas yesterday I'm not anxious to repeat a long morning walk so soon. But I can certainly do it if the alternative isn't safe.
If this is that long interminable Roman Rd alternative route to Reliegos, there was nothing. No water, no food, no shade, just endless Roman Rd and ploughed fields. (it was an accident I took this road, I was temporarily lost)
I guess if you are expecting a worse stretch than from Carrion de los Condes it would meet expectations but on another hot day I would never repeat it. If you do take plenty of water.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We started early before it was light. We sat and had a break at the picnic stop to break up the journey. Otherwise there wasn't any where to sit. I would do it again. We didn't see any one else until we reached religios

We started early before it was light. We sat and had a break at the picnic stop to break up the journey. Otherwise there wasn't any where to sit. I would do it again. We didn't see any one else until we reached religios
The reason it was so hard for me is that it was already mid morning by the time I started on that Roman road, having made a wrong turn, and ending up in a village i didn't expect to see.
It was so hot through the midday and early afternoon, and there is no water or shade.

I'm in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos tonight and would like to know if anyone has walked the road between this alternative route and El Burgo Ranero?View attachment 58242
Hi Trecile,i walked this part last month from Sahagún and stayed at the Municipal Albergue in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos , ( The nice albergue Via Trajana was full but it was nice to have a drink in the evening and breakfast there next morning , they are lovely people , hardworking and with a big smile).
i loved walking on the Via Romana , i was alone most of the time , enjoying peace and also the noise of the frogs and watching some stokes trying to catch them
i felt very connected to the past on this portion of the Camino and just would think about the Roman Legions walking there
I'm in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos tonight and would like to know if anyone has walked the road between this alternative route and El Burgo Ranero?View attachment 58242

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I ended up just walking the Román road and taking the turn off to Reliegos. I think that it would have been about 2 km longer to cut across to El Burgo Ranero. It was a pleasant walk, and only took about 3 hr 15 minutes.
I hadn't originally planned to walk this alternative, but the night before I was to start on this section I received an email from a friend telling me that another friend was serving as hospitalera in the municipal albergue in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos, so of course I had to go! 20190529_142446.jpg It's a comfortable albergue, which was made even more so by the fact that there were only three pilgrims there that night - so each of us had our own room. 😊

Hi Trecile ! i walked this part from Sahagunlto Calzadilla de losast month 28 th of april! Couldn't get a bed in Albergue Via Trajan but stayed tin the albergue municipal ; it was nice though to go there for a drink in the evening and the breakfast the next morning , very lovely and hardworking people; They let me send my bag pack to them since it was not possible at the Municipal albergue. i liked this portion of the Camino, i was alone most of the time , there were the noise of the frogs in the morning and some storkes trying to catch them! After that , a special quality of silence as if the noises were absorbed by the different layers of gravel and stones of the Via Romana i felt special connection to the past and i was thinking of the roman legions passing by 2000 years ago... Also the weather was perfect , it will get warmer and warmer of course lots of water and walking very early might be already necessary

Attachments

• IMG_1733 (1).jpg
    IMG_1733 (1).jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1734.jpg
    IMG_1734.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Elvis Bar was open two weeks ago. but only two pilgrims there.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just walked the road. Romana you can cross but you get only to the tree lined route of the Francis. Nothing there but agohst ranch.I am now in villavante. Elvis bar open. Bc.

Last edited:
Elvis Bar was open two weeks ago. but only two pilgrims there.

So excited to hear this!!!! 16 days and counting till my flight, can’t wait to walk in there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back