Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shorter stages on the Primitivo?

mboyce

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (June 2015)
Hello, my name is Marvin. In June of 2015 my dad and I would like to do the Primitivo. I have been looking at the route and what others have done on the route, and most seem to travel 20 or more km a day. Does anyone do shorter days? It would be better for my dad if we could do 10-12 mile days. I know that there can be some long stretches on the route, but does anyone have any advice for shorter days?
Thanks for an info.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, my name is Marvin. In June of 2015 my dad and I would like to do the Primitivo. I have been looking at the route and what others have done on the route, and most seem to travel 20 or more km a day. Does anyone do shorter days? It would be better for my dad if we could do 10-12 mile days. I know that there can be some long stretches on the route, but does anyone have any advice for shorter days?
Thanks for an info.

Hi Mboyce! My husband and I plan to walk the Camino Primitivo at the same time as you (June 2015). In preparation, I have been gaathering info from lots of sources and combining it into one guide we can carry. You sill see that we plan som days longer than 20k. But my guide lists most of the albergues and the town by town distances so I think you could use it to plan some shorter days. Check it out here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tiago-and-then-to-muxia-finisterre-guide.225/. Make sure you download the most recent version if you decided to use it. Also, I am working on a revision with phone numbers and names of pensions and casa rurals. Maybe we will meet up next summer!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We did shorter days, see our blog for Camino Primitivo 2012, when we walked from Tineo. It is also possible before then. There are a few longer stages where there is no accommodation, but mostly it is easy to make your own shorter days by using private accommodation as well as the albergues.
Enjoy the research and Buen Camino

Hi Mboyce! My husband and I plan to walk the Camino Primitivo at the same time as you (June 2015). In preparation, I have been gaathering info from lots of sources and combining it into one guide we can carry. You sill see that we plan som days longer than 20k. But my guide lists most of the albergues and the town by town distances so I think you could use it to plan some shorter days. Check it out here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tiago-and-then-to-muxia-finisterre-guide.225/. Make sure you download the most recent version if you decided to use it. Also, I am working on a revision with phone numbers and names of pensions and casa rurals. Maybe we will meet up next summer!
WOW! Great work. Thanks for sharing.
Stefania

Thank you for all the info. I appreciate all of your help. I am really looking forward to the Camino and I just want to make sure my dad can enjoy the hole trip without overdoing it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We did shorter days, see our blog for Camino Primitivo 2012, when we walked from Tineo. It is also possible before then. There are a few longer stages where there is no accommodation, but mostly it is easy to make your own shorter days by using private accommodation as well as the albergues.

Thank you for this. We are starting on April 22, almost the exact date you started in 2012!

I would also mention that there is a regular bus service along the Primitivo (except between Grandas and Fonsagrada). Just in case, use a taxi. You don't have to "skip" (cheat ?) any part if later you return to the spot where you left off and continue your walk. A taxi will cost you between 1.2 and 1.5 Euros per kilometer. Obtain information at the time of staying in any place along your way. (i.e. don't start worrying right now about this);)

Thanks for an info.

I know I posted my shorter days on the Primitivo thread during the holidays. Perhaps you can find it. LizBrant may know where to find it. My longest day is 24 km, with some being only 6 or 8 - so a good balance of longer and shorter for those of us with age, and/or plantear fasciitis ;0)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know I posted my shorter days on the Primitivo thread during the holidays. Perhaps you can find it. LizBrant may know where to find it. My longest day is 24 km, with some being only 6 or 8 - so a good balance of longer and shorter for those of us with age, and/or plantear fasciitis ;0)
Anemone' stages are here: <a href="https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ty-on-the-camino-primitivo.26578/#post-261938">Lodging & Safety on the Camino Primitivo</a>. Liz

Here is a link to a site I find very helpful. Plug in the average distance you'd like to walk, what you intend to pay for lodging and deal breakers such as hot water, wifi, laundry, there's a number of them. And it pops up a list of etapas to meet your criteria! The url is www.urcamino.com

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back