Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Different because it's shorter

Time of past OR future Camino
Partial Frances (2018)
Full Frances 2022 (May-Jun)
I did the Camino Frances from St. Jean in 2022. I wouldn't call it life changing or anything that dramatic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so freeing to unburden myself of responsibilities. It was 5 weeks of a simple life; walk, eat, drink, sleep. Everything you needed was in your pack, no extra possessions. It wasn't without purpose as there was always the next stage and ultimately Santiago, but it was a simple pursuit. I am doing the Primitivo in May with my partner who couldn't do it previously because of her hip replacement. I'm worried that I (and her) will not get the full experience because it is only two weeks. Just when we'll be getting into a rhythm, it will be over. Has anyone else experienced this?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did the Camino Frances from St. Jean in 2022. I wouldn't call it life changing or anything that dramatic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so freeing to unburden myself of responsibilities. It was 5 weeks of a simple life; walk, eat, drink, sleep. Everything you needed was in your pack, no extra possessions. It wasn't without purpose as there was always the next stage and ultimately Santiago, but it was a simple pursuit. I am doing the Primitivo in May with my partner who couldn't do it previously because of her hip replacement. I'm worried that I (and her) will not get the full experience because it is only two weeks. Just when we'll be getting into a rhythm, it will be over. Has anyone else experienced this?
I took students for 7 days this winter. Although it felt short to me, it felt like a full experience to most of them. Only one expressed a desire to walk longer. I think her Camino will be fine. Try not to impose your Camino on hers...

My first Camino was in 2015, from St Jean to Santiago.
My wife joined me in 2016, for a Hybrid version, as she was not fully committed to it.
We walked for about 10 days.
I made sure to include a few varied sections along the way, Foncebadon, Cruz de Ferro, O Cebreiro, etc.
Then we walked from Sarria to Santiago in one contiguous walk.

On the penultimate day, she wished it wasn't ending so soon..........
So two years later she walked with me from St Jean.

But she doesn't want to do a 'long one' again.
Two weeks is long enough for her.

So I guess what I'm saying is.........
You can't tell.
We all get something different from a Camino.
And the chances of you both having the same expectations?
Or gaining the same things from the journey?

For me, I'm into the 'Rhythm' now with 20 mins of starting!
For a first time Pilgrim, it might take 7-10 days?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No matter how many weeks I walk, I have yet to find myself wanting it to end. Same as when our family travelled for fifteen months - I was the only one who was not ready to return home. I suspect it's a very individual thing. So two weeks on the Portuguese really did not feel like enough to me, but friends who have done it, thought it was a perfect introduction (and are about to go back for a longer one).

I strongly agree with the other responses in that feeling "not enough", "just right" and "too much" differs between persons - and you never can tell which it might be. I say - go - see, feel what THIS camino has in store.

I strongly agree with the other responses in that feeling "not enough", "just right" and "too much" differs between persons - and you never can tell which it might be. I say - go - see, feel what THIS camino has in store.
No worries, we are going.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Apart from the very first time, when I walked for 19 days, all my cam1nos have been piecemeal - 7-10 days at a time, between 1 and 4 times a year, depending on holiday availability.

I have walked thousands of kilometres this way, and have always felt that each walk was a complete experience.

I can walk 14 days every two years. I would love to walk for a month but my live at this moment doesn't make this possible. So it will take me six years to walk the camino norte and primitivo.

After that two years i find myself in the rithim in one day. I love it too much and know i have only a short time so i want to make the most of it. Somehow my body goes along with that.

The rest of the time i read this forum and enjoy the journey of other people and practice for the next one.

The Primitivo may be shorter than the full Camino Francis route, but it has arguably many more very challenging days than the Francis route.
Some very hilly days until you reach Lugo.
But it remains my favorite out of the seven walks I have done due to the scenery and lower numbers, although I hear numbers are up since I walked it in the fall of 2018.
It was only a little disappointing once we reached Melide and the heavy Camino Francis traffic after ten days of relatively light pilgrim traffic.
If you feel the need to add some days, walking to Finnisterre and Muxia may be an option to consider. I did this segment last fall and enjoyed it a allot.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you currently taking orders? Also how much would adding a little Canadian flag 🇨🇦 add to the cost? 😊

Apart from the very first time, when I walked for 19 days, all my cam1nos have been piecemeal - 7-10 days at a time, between 1 and 4 times a year, depending on holiday availability.

I have walked thousands of kilometres this way, and have always felt that each walk was a complete experience.
Oh to live so close! When you are 36 hours and $2500 away, doing four ten day walks in a year is just not conceivable (for me). But I sure can imagine squeezing in a week whenever I could.

My experience of the Primitivo was that although not that long (I took 12 days), it has a full Camino narrative and plenty to see and remember. The first few days to Borres or Campiello form a natural first act, followed by the crossing of the mountains to Lugo which is arguably the best of the 100km starting cities. This leaves the last act through less demanding terrain to enjoy before you finish in Santiago. Add to that the fact that Oviedo is worth a trip in its own right. I don't think you need to worry.

Yes and no. When I did the Portugues (13 days) in 2018 after the Frances in 2016, there was certainly a bit of a feeling that it ended just as it was getting going. But it was still a valuable experience and I still heard from people that I came back a lot more relaxed than I was when I left for it. As well, I think the more Caminos you do the quicker you can get into that "Camino groove".

I followed the shorter Camino with a longer 51 day Camino last year, but this year my Camino with my daughter - her first Camino - will be only 10-14 days, so clearly I think a short Camino is still valuable.

Also, there will still be the feeling that you are walking a complete Camino, retracing the steps of Alfonso II from Oviedo to Santiago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps you could ad the Salvador for yourself and meet in Oviedo to do the Primitivo together? Or bus to Muxia and walk back to Santiago?

I have done both Frances (from SJPDP) and Primitivo. Totally different in one way, but also similiar. i would not spend much time worrying about what kind of experience it will be, just put one foot in front of the other - and repeat.

I am sure that if you walked Frances to years in a row also would give you different experiences. That is just how it is.

But; Primitivo has harder stages, less people, more beautyful nature.

AND; If you have the time and motivation, walk on to Finesterre after SdC. Leaving SdC (and all the people/noise/fuzz) was the best thing about my walk in 2018.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back