• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shorter walk. Sleeping bag?

Merry

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I are planning to do this walk in April/May 2024.
It has been suggested that we need a sleeping sheet but not a sleeping bag. Any thoughts?
We want to walk about 450 kms and want to finish in St Jean Pied de Port. We’d welcome suggestions on where to start our walk,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To see more details on the trail use the Gronze website. The Le Puy trail there has both stage and accomondation info.

About sleeping a setup for April/May. I would go for a mix of synthetic thermal underwear with a silk blanket. Or if you prefer a liner, then that would do good as well. The warmest liner I know is the Sea to Summit Termolite Extreme.

Here is the Summer gear list that I out together:
http://caminopilgrim.travel.blog/2023/04/12/gear-packing-list-camino/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It has been suggested that we need a sleeping sheet but not a sleeping bag. Any thoughts?
We want to walk about 450 kms and want to finish in St Jean Pied de Port. We’d welcome suggestions on where to start our walk,
that’s right ... you should be fine with a [silk] sleeping sheet ... the vast majority of gîtes, especially in the back half where you will be walking, provide a bottom sheet, pillowcase and a blanket ... if the blanket is not on the bed when you arrive you can just ask ... if you take chambre d’hôte accommodation all bedlinen is supplied [by law]
------
as for your starting point 450km to Saint Jean-Pied-de-Port ... you might consider starting at Cahors ... a larger town and easily accessed by train from
Paris🚂🚂🚂
------
Good luck‼️

I've always used a sleeping bag when I stayed in the gites/albergues. If you stay in more upscale ones with maybe even single rooms, bedding might be provided.

Wool blankets are often available even for the dorm rooms, but you probably don't want to know how often they get washed... (or not).

On my april/may walk I've sometimes been cold even with clothes+lightweight sleeping bag+blanket.

It really depends on how warm/cold of a sleeper you are.

I'd never walk without at least a lightweight sleeping bag, not even in summer, but that's personal preference.

Anyway, Bon chemin!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From <info@cicerone.co.uk> in the UK you can get a book on the whole Le Puy to SJPdP.
With distances, elevation and whether the walk is easy to strenuous and accommodation and costs.
You will find it is so easy to use

I just finished the Le Puy in October 2023 with only a silk liner and had no problems at all. Unlike the Francais, where paper sheets are the norm and sleeping bags are recommended, in France all of the Gites where I stayed provided proper bottom sheets, pillow cases and blankets.

Cahors is a natural starting point for the back end of the Le Puy, but its a little further than you'd like to walk (about 500km to SJPP). Check-out Gronze.com for stages, Kms, elevation maps, Gites, and descriptions of each stage. It's a great resource and I found it invaluable for planning the Le Puy . Bon Chemin!

I walked in April/May and definitely needed a sleeping bag (I also carried a silk liner and sometimes used both with an extra blanket.) Some of the gites are freezing!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As a rule, I always carry a very light sleeping bag and a liner. You can never be 100% certain of sleeping arrangements or the weather and, for me, a few hours of good sleep each night far outweighs the burden of a few extra grams.

that’s right ... you should be fine with a [silk] sleeping sheet ... the vast majority of gîtes, especially in the back half where you will be walking, provide a bottom sheet, pillowcase and a blanket ... if the blanket is not on the bed when you arrive you can just ask ... if you take chambre d’hôte accommodation all bedlinen is supplied [by law]
------
as for your starting point 450km to Saint Jean-Pied-de-Port ... you might consider starting at Cahors ... a larger town and easily accessed by train from
Paris🚂🚂🚂
------
Good luck‼️
Thank you BlackRocker57! Would this answer be different if I was to leave le Puy mid-May? With the Aubrac region's altitude I'm not sure a silk sleeping sheet would suffice...? (I really appreciate input from your extensive experience of this route!)

Thank you BlackRocker57! Would this answer be different if I was to leave le Puy mid-May? With the Aubrac region's altitude I'm not sure a silk sleeping sheet would suffice...? (I really appreciate input from your extensive experience of this route!)
No, I don’t think so ... unless of course you happen to cop some particularly cold weather but in any case your hosts are not going to let you freeze ... almost every if not every GdE will offer blankets or duvets and / OR the opportunity to hire additional bedlinen if needs be ... and if you decide to stay at a chambre d’hôte [small family guesthouse] all that bedlinen is supplied by law ... so given all of that you should be fine with just a silk liner🤔 also, a couple of other things to keep in mind : it is not always cold in mid-May; in 2022 the first of a number of heatwaves came at that time; secondly, in a shared room, with three or four other people, you should find it rather cozy should it happen to be ❄️ of course there will exceptions but hébergeurs do not want to see their guests going cold or complaining about the cold so they will do whatever they can within reason to alleviate that e.g. turning on the heating.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back