• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

should we reserve accom figeac onwards?

olivia/mary

Time of past OR future Camino
Figeac-for four weeks!
My mother and I are walking the Camino from figeac starting from the day before good Friday for one month. We are unsure if we need to book places of sleeping (including gites,hotels and other pilgrim hostels-particularly through les halts). We know its Easter so could be busy for that period so do we need to book somewhere and how long in advance would we need to?. Also we need some advice about booking for the entire walk, is booking a day or two ahead OK generally as we don't know how far we will walk in a day?

Thanks for your help :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In April and May last year we encountered full gites night after night. The French call ahead, so you should too. Otherwise, you will be wandering town on foot doing what could have been done on the phone -- finding a bed!

I have mentioned this several times but do not mind repeating myself. If you expect the gite to prepare your dinner, simple coutesy requires that one should call ahead to reserve - and - to allow the owners to purchase last needed items ot to cook a bit more. Accepted custom all along the Le Puy Chemin is to request from the gite one is staying to call ahead and reserve the evening before or the following morning - less spontaneous perhaps but certainly more kind then knocking on the door and expecting a warm welcome from your suprise visit.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wouldn't book the whole walk, just a day or two ahead. That might mean you have to try something more expensive at the beginning, but I think it is definitely worth it to stay 'flexible' eg if you get blisters, feel tired and want to walk a short day, it's really hot.... etc... Quite a few gite owners will ring ahead for you to the place you want to stay the next night to make a booking for you.
Margaret

I agree with Margaret--just a day or two ahead. You can ask the hosts wherever you are to call ahead for you if your French is lacking. If you plan the whole thing ahead, you are highly pressured to keep to that schedule and I assume you want some flexibility. It is very bad form to make reservations and then not show up--especially since your anticipated host will probably have purchased food for your meals, maybe turned others away, etc.

Thank you for your replies, most helpful indeed. we want to be flexible as really have no idea about distance to travel each day, so your advice is most helpful. generally is there space a couple of days out? has anyone had troubles? I also think I read somewhere that they do not allow you to sleep on the floor so therefore sleeping mats become just extra weight? we are most excited to embark on this journey :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
generally is there space a couple of days out? has anyone had troubles?
Yes, but your search is by phone, not with a pack on your back. The French may book months in advance, particularly in May. For spontaneous stops start with the Office de Tourisme. They will help you find a place, and you can pick up a bottle of bed bug spray.
I read somewhere that they do not allow you to sleep on the floor
True. Fire and building codes in France and Spain limit occupancy, so floor space is hard to come by. France always was very rules oriented, and Spain has become more so. After the first big albergue fire with locked doors, the codes on open exits will also be enforced. At the moment some places bar or chain doors so that early pilgrims cannot leave early. It will take a disaster for the practice to end.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back