• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP-Finisterre: 17 days Y/N en pied?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Grant, it seems to me that even though you asked the question, you had already made up your mind. So, I say go for it. Then you'll definitely find the answer to your question. Buen camino.

Grant, it seems to me that even though you asked the question, you had already made up your mind. So, I say go for it. Then you'll definitely find the answer to your question. Buen camino.
Reassurance helps though...thanks. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Grant. Best of luck next year with your speedy Camino.

I find it really interesting that having walked part of the Camino with your wife doing only 25km a day, you now want to walk it doing 50km a day. That strikes a cord with our recent experience.

We've just returned from our first Camino starting at SJPP. Although we had planned to walk it together, it became obvious before we even left that my newly retired husband was suddenly much fitter and faster than he had been for years now that he was no longer behind a desk all day. I told him to just walk at his pace, gave him my blessing and off he went like a dog off a lead!!! He was walking at about 5km/hour, doing nearly 40km a day whilst I was doing 25km at around 4km/hour. Yes, I missed seeing him in the evening and sharing the events of the day, but we both met and talked to many more people than we would have done had we been together. Several people said we had done the correct thing as they had come across couples bickering as they were mismatched in walking ability.

So, well done to you for walking happily at a 'slow' speed and being content to wait before you really test yourself physically on the Camino.

Hello all, after my very first experience on El Camino in 2014, I'm wondering if it's realistic to do it in 17 days. I appreciate that much will be missed en route, but the challenge seems worth the price.
Not certain how I missed this post, I only go to Frances or Norte forums in quick spurts and sometimes see a mention in the sidebar of the threads that make me click.
From your description and what you are willing to put into this Camino I 100% think this possible and 100% think you will enjoy your Camino as much I have enjoyed mine.
The only concern is injury...and we have that same concern if we have 60 days to walk it! My longest day was 52 kms...I ate, drank smelled the flowers and fed the donkeys on that day!!!! I strolled the streets of a town and interviewed locals as to "the best" place to eat seafood on that day. I teared up when I reached a town with no immediate bed...but smiled and celebrated when I found a hotel with a place to sleep. I went out late that night and had a glass of wine. So on that day...I ate, socialized, stopped, drank,smelled flowers, fed donkeys, sang, ... teared up...and slept...just like all of my other days....

My feet were restless that night...but your physical situation sounds way better off than mine :)...this was on the Inglais (immediately post Norte) and I suffered no blisters and there was mucho rain.
Yes this is possible ,I think...and it is possible to enjoy it as well , I think.

I was a long distance runner for two decades of my life...endurance and distance have never scared me....in fact in those two decades I never suffered a running injury.
Had I known about the Camino back in those days I honestly think I would have been one who would have entertained running it...

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I also think it neat when someone thinks differently and just goes for it. It's your Camino and I wish you great success! It's quite a feeling to set a personal goal and to achieve it. You have received numerous opinions...I would quietly go about my planning and simply enjoy the experience!

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An American woman ran the Camino in 8 days some years back, so 17 days should be a doddle!! I think she ran with a support team, namely her family, and found the challenge relatively easy, relative that was to what she was used to back home. The weather was mild, mid Winter and she knocked out 2.5 marathons a day for 8 days ..... respect ..... 17 days so 55 KMs a day ... sure you could do it. Not sure where she started though ..,.

The key to walking quickly to Ginisterre would be not to stop in Santiago, until you come back from Finistere as there is a risk of loosing your mojo in such a beautiful place!! Ideally keep going onto Muxia and then walk back to Santiago, picking up 4 Compostellas ....

Her approach possibly brings up a number of issues, from what is the appropriate way to walk/run the Camino eg supported v unsupported, carry backpack v taxi, book hostals or go with the flow. Then there is the issue of what is 17 days ... 17 days in succession or over a number of years, 17 equivalent days or normal days .... detail is important or not ....

I walked my first Camino from St. Jean to Santiago in 15 days and my fastest Camino in 13 days.

My first was my most epic as I had no prior knowledge of the Camino, resulting in some poor purchases (boots that were not big enough). I got blisters from Day 2 and arrived in Santiago nursing a few more blisters as it rained from Saria to Santiago. I walked between 25 and 85 KMs a day, so not planned, organised and or disciplined. The weather was very hot in the Meseta which was tough going, but I loved every last moment out on the Camino, having my own adventure. I also got a leg infection which another pilgrim sorted out, so I had a lot of luck as well.

My 13 day Camino was well planned in terms of gear and equipment, right through to a day plan (2.5 to 3 Brierley stages a day eg SJPP to Pamplona, Pamolona to Los Arcos .... so just under 60KMs every day, with a very long last day under moonlight, such good fun).

Before my first Camino I did have prior knowledge and experience of ultra running having competed and completed a number of ultra and multi day marathons including the Marathon Des Sables in the Sahara Desert. So I had a lot of knowledge and practical experience to draw on. It was not my intention to walk the Camino quickly, just evolved, eventually morphing into an epic challenge against the clock .... such good fun.

Knowledge through experience is key as it will tell you what you and your body is capable of. The Forum can give you ideas but you and your body will determine what will and will not work for you.

Ideally you would be:
  1. Marathon or ultra marathon fit. You want your body to be primed from the get go and not after a few days. Jet lag should be avoided as it will slow you down in a number of ways from tiredness, dehydration, lower energy levels to constipation ...
  2. Light in body weight = (height in cms - 100) x 90% to 100%. The lighter you are the faster you will walk and the less likely you will pick up weight related injuries.
  3. Focused - focus on your Camino and your plan. Avoid distractions eg Facebook, internet, coffee shops.
  4. Agree with your wife, business associates etc. on how you will be limited in your availability and find a way that works with your "Stakeholders"!!!
  5. Make your luck .... go when good weather can be expected - April/May, September/October, make good decisions along the way, including small decisions.
  6. Organised - light and fit for purpose with lots of routines and be disciplined eg change socks during the day, washing socks straight away, dealing with hot spots before they become blisters, bio security ... hand sanitation as your imune system will become weaker than normal.
  7. Walk alone up to 60KMs a day and still have enough time to eat, sleep, redt, recover ...
  8. Avoid over nighting in the big towns and cities, slow to get out of in the am and too many temptations ....
  9. Knowledge of your body, smart walking, know how, when and where it will breakdown so as to take preventative action eg I have to tape up my pinky toes as they rupture and my second toes as they get really sore.
  10. Have fun .....
Key Equipment:

1. Non Gortex Trail Running Shoes with spare insoles and large cycling over booties for the rain. Gortex makes your feet sweat. I use Brookes as they are light with big soles
  2. Desert style running hat as used in the MDS. Check out the hat from OR (Outdoor Research).
  3. Compression top and socks eg Skins, Salamon ... buy in Triathlon shop. Compression shorts may cause chaffing so possibly avoid. Compression socks are critical for avoiding tendinitis/shin splints.
  4. Good GPS watch ... Heart Rate, Speed, Distance, Temperature eg Garmin, Sunnto, Polar. Good idea to walk within a heart rate range that is safe for you and makes max use of carbs and fat burning mixture.
  5. Clothing - light layers that cover your body and keep the sun off. Light rain gear assuming you plan to walk during a dry period. It nearly always rains in Galacia, which is just a few days at 60 KMs per day.
  6. Running Poles - lighter and more flexible than walking poles. I am 1KPH fast with running poles. Light gloves good for in the sun. Likeys in Wales sell them, weigh 100 grams each.
  7. Cereal bowl, spork and Lunch box. You will need to eat lots of food so a cereal breakfast is fast and easy. Special K is available all over Spain Lunch box for speeding up meal times and allows for the splitting of meals into smaller portions as your stomach will get smaller as you push yourself harder and harder. Carry biscuits for quick snack and pick me up at all times.
  8. Ear plugs and light sleeping bag with a good liner as sleep is key to walking long distances day in day out.
  9. Key gear ideas:
    1. Light Backpack eg Raidlight 25l from France
    2. See through stuff sack eg Eagle creek 20 or 30 l ... keeps everything waterproof and compact.
    3. Sleeping Bag liner eg Sea to Summit "Thermolite Reactor" sleeping bag liner is expensive but amazing adding degrees to any sleeping bag.
    4. Good head torch with variable beam, with a red filter gor indoors. Check ultra running websites such as Likeys.
    5. Power monkey to recharge your gadgets on the go.
    6. Isotonic tablets and or salt tables when very sunny.
    7. Minimilist wash bag - buy your toiletories at the airport.
    8. Shower cap - ideal for washing your feet during the day.
    9. Tennis ball for foot stretching and have a good stretching routine for the end of each day.
    10. Camino Buff.
  10. Minimise as much as possible eg buy Brierley maps instead of guide book or just use the one page map from the Pilgrim office in SJPP along with their one page list of albergues instead of a guide book. Put them into waterproof plastic sleeves.

Last edited:
The answer to your question would be, yes, it is doable. There are no reasons like having to wait for the next ferry, etc. It all depends on your physical limitation, like how fast can you walk and how far you can go in a day.

I just returned from the Norte.
For various reasons, I walked 40, 47 and 50 km on successive days. My pack weight is about 12 kg.
I could handle the short term longer distances...but would not want to do it continuouly for the whole route.
Also...there are stages on the Norte where 50km would be almost impossible.
The Frances tends to be more compatible to long distance but there are still some stages that would be difficult.
I can understand the idea as a personal accomplishment goal...but not for me.
Maybe when I was a bit younger.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just returned from the Norte.
For various reasons, I walked 40, 47 and 50 km on successive days. My pack weight is about 12 kg.
I could handle the short term longer distances...but would not want to do it continuouly for the whole route.
Also...there are stages on the Norte where 50km would be almost impossible.
The Frances tends to be more compatible to long distance but there are still some stages that would be difficult.
I can understand the idea as a personal accomplishment goal...but not for me.
Maybe when I was a bit younger.
I totally agree...there are stages on the Norte where 50km would be impossible. I left for the Norte with a plan centered around
kilometers and quickly had to toss that ...

I totally agree...there are stages on the Norte where 50km would be impossible. I left for the Norte with a plan centered around
kilometers and quickly had to toss that ...

Sounds like a challenge .... not this year though ... ha ha ..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I say go for it. Will you be blogging? (That would really impress!)

This year, in May, I met a German pilgrim named Peter who walked from Fromista to Moratinos (9 km before Sahagun) in a single day. I remarked to him that must have been close to 50 Km. He said 51. He then remarked that he wanted to make Sahagun that night (60 km total) but is was already nearly dark and he needed a place to sleep for the night.

In any event, he was doing this because he only had a limited amount of holiday remaining to finish and he was doing it for a noble purpose, as he explained. But, Peter did admit that this was his most difficult day yet, and that his feet and knees were bothering him.

BTW, Peter was about 190 cm tall, of thin to average build, with very long legs. He was muscular and appeared to me to be in very good physical condition. He was also a well experienced distance hiker / walker. But he did appear to be physically exhausted. He departed early the next morning.

My point in mentioning this experience is to point out that doing 50 km or more in one day is technically possible, especially on rolling and level ground like the Meseta between Fromista and Moratinos or Sahagun. However, sustaining this pace on hilly terrain (Navarra or Galicia), and in possibly bad weather is another thing entirely.

Have you ever walked the Camino in constant, driving rain? I hate mud! After two Caminos I can safely say that I prefer being wet, to being wet and muddy. But along the Camino, unless you are road walking, mud is a certainty. You just need to deal with it. Mud also reduces an hourly pace nearly 50 percent. So, a 5 km per hour pace becomes 3 km/hour or less.

For the record, the day I met Peter, it had been sunny, cloudless, completely without rain, and about 22-23 degrees Celsius at midday. In other words, what some might consider a perfect day for the Camino. And by Peter's own account, walking 51 Km that day was pushing it, but he felt he needed to to accomplish his noble purpose. I can respect that.

Personally, I make better time on a cloudy, but dry day. But, for me, it is not about time, but about space. I enjoy the view, the scenery, the animals, flora, and people, old buildings and everything else visual, aural, or tactile.

In the final assessment, you must do what you think best, as it is your Camino. Those of us who are more or less "happy hobos" along a Camino would appreciate it if you either wore a cowbell or announced your overtaking us rapidly (call out "passing on the left" or "on your left"), so we can step to the right side and allow you to pass on our left. As you will quickly be out of earshot, please allow me to wish you a sincere and heartfelt "Buen Camino" in advance.

I hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back