• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPP-Fisterra 19 days ( start 17/02/24)

souheil

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello To all
I am a long distance hiker and i plan to start the Camino Frances for the 4th time ( after 2014 2015 2022 ) on Feb 17th, 2024 from SJPP. I read all posts related to 20 days or less CF achievement. I am 60 years old in good shape / fitness and i think averaging 45 kms per day is doable without reaching physical stress limits. I did CF in 27 days and 2 times in 23 days ... I already prepared an XLS with target stages but of course still subject to weather, albergues availability and physical concerns if any ( one rest day) .. If anybody have any special advise ( winter season specificities ) , particular informations to share for this period ( 17 Feb to March 6th ) or want to join or start same day, thank you .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Aprinca website lists open accommodation on the Frances and will probably still be running when you set off. If you can average 45km per day then the long stages needed in winter because of the scarcity of accommodation should not be a problem. My question about your plan would be how you keep up that average when the distances between available beds varies a great deal. There may not be anywhere at or near your 45km point. You may have to walk considerably less on some days and more on others to maintain that average. Less is obviously manageable if a bit frustrating. How much beyond 45km would you be happy to walk?

The rough distance is 900km (800 SJPdP --> SdC and 100 - SdC --> Fisterra)
divided by 19 days it gives us 47.5km/day (slightly rounded up)
As @Bradypus just pointed out - that distance can vary based on availability of accommodations (not to mention any other variables)
If you can do it - God's Speed & Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
According to my calculations I walked about a marathon a day both in 2010 (20 to SdC, 23 to Finisterre) and in 2018 (19 to SdC) although not in the winter. I was 54 and 62 and although fit I would not consider myself an athlete. I'm just lucky that I am able to walk long distances and recover fast. And it was never my plan to walk such long stages, it just worked out for me.

As mentioned, the Aprinca website is your best bet. I used it one year in the winter but still called ahead to make sure the information was correct. On two occasions is wasn't.
Ultreia!

Hello . Thanks for your comments. As i told you i am if i can say a 'veteran' of the CF. Longest Stages i already did are Sahagun/Leon ( 55 kms officially but 58.1 on my Garmin ) and the Melide/ Santiago ( 54 kms ) wich is not planned at the beginning but due to adrenalin to achieving the goal ... So again i scheduled these stages in my plan . For this time, my planned longest stage will be Fromista/Sahagun ( 60 kms ) . But these data are only tentative planning depending of many parameters such as snow, heavy rain, closed albergues ( even i choose cities instead villages when possible ) as well as the most important factor witch is my body adaptive response ( tendonitis, joint pain, blisters etc..) . My Backpack pack is 7.2 kg without water and food , so lets say 8.5 max in ' battle ordre'..

Only caveat for me would be daylight hours available. I set off in the dark quite happily but I am not so sure I would want to be searching for an unknown albergue when the light starts to go. If of course you know where you will need to be each day, then doable for sure. I have done mid 24-27 from SJPDP to the sea without trying, so If that's your aim and you plan it all out and have good luck... all good

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Go for it ! its your camino and your choice I did the 100 k marker at Ferreiros to SdC. None stop If it aint in my ruck sack then I don't have. it I love the peace and quiet of being with ME. well under 24 hours. would have been faster but there was another walker having trouble so had to stay with him until I could ensure he was OK Next for me is Reading to Southampton. 115ish. one day 2 day travel Gatwick fly to A Corona day 3 again nonstop to Santiago D C.

Fully intend this year around Sept doing STPP to Santiago. time and days. well if it feels good walk if tired stop and rest somewhere Love to know you itinerary. Im thinking 15 days to SDC.

May I wish you all the best and enjoy your jolly.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back