• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag March

Norwegiandreamer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de santiago (2016)
Is it any requirements for the sleeping bag at this time of year? I want to buy a cheap, light, summer sleeping bag. Or do i need to find one for three seasons?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Is it any requirements for the sleeping bag at this time of year? I want to buy a cheap, light, summer sleeping bag. Or do i need to find one for three seasons?
I have never walked the CF in March but if I did, I would bring a lightweight (summer weight) sleeping bag. In my experience the albergues are warm, and some are heated I am sure and there are blankets available in many of them. The lightweight bag in combination with a blanket should work just fine.

March is still very cold (usually). It used to be that during the low season (including March) albergues did not have many pilgrims and did not like the expense of turning on the heating. Things may be different now many more people walk during March, but I'd still have at least a summer weight bag, and a warm set of thermals tucked into the bottom of my bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I walked in APRIL, I about froze because, like Kanga has said, many albergues did not want to turn on the heat.
And I had a down bag!

A 16 degrees C light sleeping bag can get you through the 3 seasons. When it is really cold (up in the mountain or without heat) you can sleep your walking clothes inside the sleeping bag.

I would take a sleeping bag, even if you only need it once, albergues and some pensiones have a habit of turning the heater off about 2 am :(

Zzotte

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There are some other lightweight options beside sleeping bags that have become pretty popular. I've just purchased this down sleeping quilt: http://www.mec.ca/product/5045-945/therm-a-rest-vela-quilt/?q=vela for my April CF and looking forward to having the warmth when needed but the freedom to move about and regulate my temp when it's warm. This quilt comes in at just under 1kg and is rated for 0-15C temp. I asked the company selling it and the low temp comfort ratings for men is 2C and women 7C so sounds pretty good for an early spring Camino.
Buen Camino
Jordon

Last edited by a moderator:
Froze in May of 2013, with little heating in albergues. I would bring a three season bag. There ae great bags out there that are light and warm, but they will come at à certaitn price. Saw one from Western Muntaineering at MEC last week, the Mitylite, ssssoooo comfy and light, but €£$! I would not bring anything rated for 10 degrees or more.

Depending on how tall you are, the Double Black Diamond duvet throw might work for you. Currently available on Amazon.com for 60$.It's 70x60" and weighs a pound.

One thing for sure, don't bring anything too heavy or too large (or expensive). The albergues along the Caminos Frances are homes to countless abandoned sleeping bags that the original owners didn't want to carry anymore, as well as countless abandoned sleeping pads.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I started first week April -7c bag glad I had it. I would take it again & use it if I started in March. 1kilo bag. Look to see if REI ships to Norway. A fellow pilgrim from Sweden & I swap goods as his costs are much higher in Sweden.

I have walked CF twice in March/April.
Definitely needed a sleeping bag +liner and,frequently,needed to add an albergue blanket too.
Some albergues are like morgues,apart from the snoring!

I started first week April -7c bag glad I had it. I would take it again & use it if I started in March. 1kilo bag. Look to see if REI ships to Norway. A fellow pilgrim from Sweden & I swap goods as his costs are much higher in Sweden.
I am in Madrid at the moment, heading back to U.S. for one week the end of the month then back to Madrid. Am planning to hit the trail around mid April and will have until the end of May to finish up. I’d planned to pick up a down blanket at REI during the brief trip back. I’m wondering if it is ever hot at night in the community sleeping quarters. I have a harder time sleeping in heat than chilled. And because of that wondered if I should consider going a bit earlier, end of March, than April.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked in March 2014 and are heading back out this March again. I would echo the comments here. Some of the Albergues are very cold. I have a Marmot Arete (no longer made I think) that came in at 850g with stuff sack. It's rated at 40F/4C and was just right - always warm enough and very light. An 800-fill bag is usually pretty expensive but I got lucky and got it on sale. I remember one night having to wear a couple layers to get warm enough, but that worked fine.

I am in Madrid at the moment, heading back to U.S. for one week the end of the month then back to Madrid. Am planning to hit the trail around mid April and will have until the end of May to finish up. I’d planned to pick up a down blanket at REI during the brief trip back. I’m wondering if it is ever hot at night in the community sleeping quarters. I have a harder time sleeping in heat than chilled. And because of that wondered if I should consider going a bit earlier, end of March, than April.
It gets quite warm after 15 April

Depends on the albergue itself (how ventilated is it?), how many pilgrims sleeping in a big room and what time of year on the Camino and what part of the Camino.
I know between June and September, on the part of the Camino before Galicia, some of the albergues I slept in were quite warm. Warm enough that I slept with no blanket or cover of any kind.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are starting our Camino on March 19 and taking a 180z down bag plus a silk liner for more warmth if needed. All together less than 2 lbs.

We are starting our Camino on March 19 and taking a 180z down bag plus a silk liner for more warmth if needed. All together less than 2 lbs.
You should be fine as long as you have a fleece jacket if you need to layer up a bit

March is still very cold (usually). It used to be that during the low season (including March) albergues did not have many pilgrims and did not like the expense of turning on the heating. Things may be different now many more people walk during March, but I'd still have at least a summer weight bag, and a warm set of thermals tucked into the bottom of my bag.
I love the idea of tucking my thermals in the bottom Kanga! Definitely going to use it! Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Depends on the albergue itself (how ventilated is it?), how many pilgrims sleeping in a big room and what time of year on the Camino and what part of the Camino.
I know between June and September, on the part of the Camino before Galicia, some of the albergues I slept in were quite warm. Warm enough that I slept with no blanket or cover of any kind.
Yes, June and September I would be more concerned about it being too HOT, not cold for sure. I've decided to take a super warm sleeping bag, my camp hammock and a pad. I'm throwing in some air activated heat pads just in case. All in all, I should be able to sleep "anywhere"

Yes, June and September I would be more concerned about it being too HOT, not cold for sure. I've decided to take a super warm sleeping bag, my camp hammock and a pad. I'm throwing in some air activated heat pads just in case. All in all, I should be able to sleep "anywhere"
All those things sound heavy. You camping on the Camino?
Super warm sleeping bag? Is it lightweight and small and packable? Unless you sleep outside, not sure if you need a winter weight bag even in April.
Camp hammock? Again, sounds like an outdoor sleeping piece of gear.
As far as ground pads go, if you are staying in albergues there is really no need for them.
What's an air activated heat pad?

All those things sound heavy. You camping on the Camino?
Super warm sleeping bag? Is it lightweight and small and packable? Unless you sleep outside, not sure if you need a winter weight bag even in April.
Camp hammock? Again, sounds like an outdoor sleeping piece of gear.
As far as ground pads go, if you are staying in albergues there is really no need for them.
What's an air activated heat pad?
Yes, the hammock as well as the sleeping bag are for outdoors. The hammock is an alternative to a tent. It is something that can be used for a nap as well as a full night. I've used it in many situations and it has always been worth it's weight. I have not decided on bag vs blanket yet, but either will be down and lightweight. The sleeping bag is for backpacking. The air activated heat pads are very simple small hand or foot warmers that get hot once opened. Trying to fall asleep if your feet or some other body part is frozen is a nightmare. From every single blog/website/thread I've read, it's pretty cold in March. I'm also carrying a few food items. I've done quite a bit of hiking in the U.S. and though I keep seeing people talk about keeping your pack light, though I agree, there is no way you can't do the Camino with a pack similar to what I would carry on the AT. Carry pretty much everything you need to get along without outside help or covered sleeping.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, the hammock as well as the sleeping bag are for outdoors. The hammock is an alternative to a tent. It is something that can be used for a nap as well as a full night. I've used it in many situations and it has always been worth it's weight. I have not decided on bag vs blanket yet, but either will be down and lightweight. The sleeping bag is for backpacking. The air activated heat pads are very simple small hand or foot warmers that get hot once opened. Trying to fall asleep if your feet or some other body part is frozen is a nightmare. From every single blog/website/thread I've read, it's pretty cold in March. I'm also carrying a few food items. I've done quite a bit of hiking in the U.S. and though I keep seeing people talk about keeping your pack light, though I agree, there is no way you can't do the Camino with a pack similar to what I would carry on the AT. Carry pretty much everything you need to get along without outside help or covered sleeping.
I do carry a few things that some people probably won't, but on my last trip to Canada every single person in the small group of 6 that I traveled into back country with, needed to "use" something I had. Rubber gloves topped the list in popularity.

If you are doing a Camino with outdoor camping involved your kit will definitely be way different than the average Camino walker's. I would say 99.99% of the Camino walkers sleep in albergues and such, and not outdoors, thus way less gear carried. The overwhelming advice and questions on this forum do not involve camping Caminos.
I have never done the AT, but have done a bit of backpacking in the US and time with a ruck on my back in the military. You can't look at the average Camino Frances as a backpacking trip. All it really is, is a series of long walks between villages and towns where you bunk down for the night.

If you are doing a Camino with outdoor camping involved your kit will definitely be way different than the average Camino walker's. I would say 99.99% of the Camino walkers sleep in albergues and such, and not outdoors, thus way less gear carried. The overwhelming advice and questions on this forum do not involve camping Caminos.
I have never done the AT, but have done a bit of backpacking in the US and time with a ruck on my back in the military. You can't look at the average Camino Frances as a backpacking trip. All it really is, is a series of long walks between villages where you bunk down for the night.
I don't plan on doing a whole lot of camping. Apparently there aren't many places to camp. But with permission, if I find a place to hang my hammock I'll sleep in it over a bunk any day. I'll pay the fee as it's not about the money. It's about my comfort. I do hope I'll find a few places along the way to set up my own camp. Even if it has to be a stealth one. Love sleeping under the stars

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't plan on doing a whole lot of camping. Apparently there aren't many places to camp. But with permission, if I find a place to hang my hammock I'll sleep in it over a bunk any day. I'll pay the fee as it's not about the money. It's about my comfort. I do hope I'll find a few places along the way to set up my own camp. Even if it has to be a stealth one. Love sleeping under the stars
As I walked I would often look at spots along the Way and make a mental note to myself when it looked like a good spot to stop if I was roughing it. Believe me, looked like plenty of places to sleep under the stars on the DL.....
I'm partial to freshly cut fields. Outta there before sunrise, leaving no trace.

As I walked I would often look at spots along the Way and make a mental note to myself when it looked like a good spot to stop if I was roughing it. Believe me, looked like plenty of places to sleep under the stars on the DL.....
I'm partial to freshly cut fields. Outta there before sunrise, leaving no trace.
That sounds a little like heaven to me. Hopefully I'll succeed in finding a few of those spots

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back