• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag or Liner?

kmccue

Time of past OR future Camino
I'll be hiking the Camino in September? I was planning to JUST take a lightweight sleeping bag, but now I'm thinking that maybe I ought to toss in my liner as well. The liner is treated against bedbugs...and I've used it with great success (no bedbugs!) in Guatemala. Trying to keep weight to a minimum? Suggestions?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do hostels/Alburges provide linens or blankets (if cold) for cost?
also, I'd really like to NOT sleep in a chemically treated liner .. is there a high incidence of bed bugs?

thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum. Blankets yes in most of them, liners no. With bed bugs its the luck of the draw, we met none in 2012 but we met several other pilgrims who had encountered them.

Do hostels/Alburges provide linens or blankets (if cold) for cost?
also, I'd really like to NOT sleep in a chemically treated liner .. is there a high incidence of bed bugs?

thanks!

All hostels will have linens.
SOME, not all albergues supply blankets.
I know that Roncesvalles (where it is probably coldest) does NOT supply blankets.

Bedbugs? All along the Camino in September.
Like wayfarer says, it's the luck of the draw.
If you watch carefully for bedbug sign and take precautions (do a Google search on Annie's Simple Life Bedbugs) you can avoid them.
Rather than sleeping in a chemically treated liner, spray the OUTSIDE of your pack and the OUTSIDE of your sleeping bag.
Buen Camino! :)

thanks so much! Will look at bedbug site and also consider spraying the outside of pack/liner.
When I hiked the Tour Du Mont Blanc (late June-July, heat wave), I brought only a sleeping bag liner (very lightweight) and I think that (plus offered sheets/sometimes blankets) was all I used to sleep.
If I walk the Camino Frances in the month of June, would you recommend a lightweight bag vs. liner?

thanks much!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dont forget to spray the inside of your pack. If the critters happen to hitch a ride with you, thats where they will be, inside your pack. Not on the outside enjoying the camino view when you walk to the next albergue.
Permethrin is not a repellent, so it will not scare them away, but if they are in longer constant contact (at least 45 minutes) with permethrin treated fabrics, they will get paralized and then die. So if they hitch a ride, they will be dead by the time you arrive in the next town, and thats what you want.

Last edited:
Oh, i take a sleepinbag liner and a lightweight sleepimgbag. Some call it overkill, but i have used them both together and seperate and was happy that i brought them with me.
In warm night i was happy with the liner, colder nights with the sleepingbag and by the end of september i had nights where i used them both at the same time.

Its a matter of choice. I wasnt bothered by the extra weight, but i am bothered by the thought of using albergue blankets. Brrrrr

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
my favorite little lightweight bag that was like second skin was stolen, along with many of my favorite hiking gear, from my car trunk. Trying to not spend $ on things unless totally necessary. I'll have to look into weather in June, but I hear you on the albergue blankets. haha, ok, thanks Dutch :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
my favorite little lightweight bag that was like second skin was stolen, along with many of my favorite hiking gear, from my car trunk. Trying to not spend $ on things unless totally necessary. I'll have to look into weather in June, but I hear you on the albergue blankets. haha, ok, thanks Dutch :)
A lot of the albergues I stayed in on both Caminos had blankets, but not all. I had no problems in using them. No complaints. Also never got bitten by bedbugs on either of my Caminos. Never even saw one.
Get a silk liner off of eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Silk...ck-Hostel-Party-Guesthouse-Trek-/290474704495) They are inexpensive, light pack up small and provide some measure of warmth. A lot of the albergues can get quite warm later in the night from the combined body heat of a lot of people.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back