• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a sleeping bag or a liner enough for the Camino in April?

Jordonez

Planeando mi primer Camino Mayo 2024!
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
I'll be off on my first Camino this coming April. I'd like to know for those of you who have done the Camino this time of the year is it really necessary to lug around a sleeping bag and the liner as well or will the liner suffice? Also which products did you take with you if you chose to use one?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll be off on my first Camino this coming April. I'd like to know for those of you who have done the Camino this time of the year is it really necessary to lug around a sleeping bag and the liner as well or will the liner suffice? Also which products did you take with you if you chose to use one?
I would take a light sleepingbag or a fleececarpet, and a liner as well. If you have booked hotels or hostels you do not need them, but in albergues yes!

Yes, you will need a sleeping bag if you are staying in albergues. I have a 15 year old Montbell spiral hugger 5 which is no longer available for purchase. Weighs 1 lb. Later in the summer you might get by with a silk liner bag (July, August).

edited: looks like an updated version is now available for purchase and slightly heavier than my original.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pre-covid a liner would have been sufficient as blankets were commonplace in albergues. That’s far less the case now.

On balance I’d say - take a sleeping bag, as April can be either just cool or fairly cold. Of course your personal experience of overnight temperature is a factor.

I left SJPdP the second week of April and ended in Santiago the second week of May, back in 2018.

I had a very light sleeping bag (rate 40 degree) that weighed about 600g (1.25 lb). I didn't need it every night but on the nights that I did I was happy to have it. My normal (20 degree) camping sleeping bag would have been overkill, while I'm sure a liner-only approach would have been too little for me. But we all sleep differently in terms of warmth, so YMMV.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
90% likely you will need a sleeping bag if you plan to sleep in Albergues in April, although with climate change who knows really.

I took this. Ridiculously light, compact when stored and easy to stuff back in bag in mornings (no rolling, folding or wrestling required), and it was also perfect to use as a lightweight duvet if desired. I think it was only about £90 when I bought it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Record high temps in parts of Spain today 26c its a tough choice.

I took a light sleeping bag in April of 2018 and definitely needed it. Took one again in October of 2019… needed it then too. Both on the Frances.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Let me start by saying I prefer to be a little cooler at night and I’m not sure the difference in temps month to month but I took a Summit Sleeper bag liner in October of 2023 and only used it a few times. also, I was sleeping in shirt and light sleeping pants so maybe that’s why I didn’t even need the liner. Actually the only night I used the liner was in the ruins of San Anton which has no electricity. I did find many of the albergues have blankets but I only needed those on rare occasion. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I’ve walked from SJPP to Burgos last April. I only took a cotton sleeping bag liner. I stayed in a lot of hostels, a few provided blankets and if it was cold and no blankets were to be had I slept in my puffer jacket which did the trick. I only did this twice. Once at Orrison and once further down the trail. I’m walking Burgos onwards this April and will only be taking my sleeping liner again. For me, it works well. Buen Camino !

April 19-May 19, 2016, I took only a liner. I got by, but the first couple weeks were pretty chilly. I slept in my clothes most nights. I used albergue blankets a few times, and they helped a lot, but was always worried about bed bugs, thinking they probably didn't get washed every day. I would take a light down bag under the same circumstances.

I took a light sleeping bag in April of 2018 and definitely needed it. Took one again in October of 2019… needed it then too. Both on the Frances.
How heavy was your sleeping bag? I'm seeing some that are nearly 3-4 pounds and that seems heavy to me

which bag do you recommend?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
what recommendation do you have for the sleeping bag?
Any light sleeping bag you can get. I got mine in a store for motorcycle stuff. It should be comfortable for temperatures down to 8/10°C.
In case it is too warm you can open the sleeping bag. If it is too cold 🥶 and you have a liner only you might be trembling at night.

If you want something light, consider a down quilt. Tradeoff is the less weight = more $$.

Yes, you do need a sleeping bag in April if you stay in albergues. A liner as well if you feel the cold, otherwise, no. It can be very cold in some places at that time of year!
As for what sleeping bag to choose, for my first camino I had a cheap one weighing 600g, did the trick, now since Jerusalem I have a down one, much lighter but much more expensive. Not needed on the francés.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am also starting the Camino in April. I am taking the Sea to Summit Spark 50 Ultralight Down Sleeping Bag, that is comfortable to 50f / 10c and weighs 7.9oz / 225g. Its an 850+ fill down bag with a hydrophobic coating.

The bag packs down to nothing. I will add sleeping layers if the bag is not warm enough during any given night. I slept a night in my 47f garage with it and was personally warm enough without added layers. Seems to be made out of butterfly wings. So its ultralight and performs, but I will need to baby the bag a little. Example... if you were half drunk and got into the bag and yarded on the zipper, bad things could happen.

Last edited:
Very personal choice, some like it hot some like it cold.

My choice is a silk rectangular liner as the BB cant get thru.
Layer up with clothes if you need more warmth even your wet weather gear. You can't walk in a sleeping bag 😆

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can find it in the Forum store!

True, but personally i'd rather support local Spanish hiking stores. Spain has some excellent smaller hiking/climbing shops (several in Madrid, others along the Frances) that carry this item.

€60,-
re sleep bag:

Via de la Plata in April - needed it
Camino Francés in May - needed it
Via Sanabrés in September - needed it
Camino Catalan in November - definitely needed it
Camino Mozarabe in coming March - will be needing it, they are instructing me down there...
Only once - in a Xunta albergue that had floor heating, in Astorga - we went to bed cold, woke up sweating as the heating was turned on in the night...

Maybe in June/July it will not be necessary.....

I use Sea to Summit TR1 down bag/quilt, 500 grams , packs down well to 5,8 litres

+

pack

1706369359841.png

Last edited:
April 19-May 19, 2016, I took only a liner. I got by, but the first couple weeks were pretty chilly. I slept in my clothes most nights. I used albergue blankets a few times, and they helped a lot, but was always worried about bed bugs, thinking they probably didn't get washed every day. I would take a light down bag under the same circumstances.
Reflects my thoughts very closely. Waking up cold is a miserable experience. I recommend the lightest possible sleeping bag.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Right. This forum is so useful to me that I like to support it and @ivar 😊

That's wonderful trecile - and I would like to support a local business that better reflects the camino I know. Clearly, we have a different take on this ; )

Right, but not all local businesses are equal ; )
True. I think Casa Ivar is a smaller local business than many sporting goods stores in Spain, and has a track record of supporting the Camino and the community of pilgrims in ways that other local businesses may not. YMMV, of course.

The local business where I bought my hiking poles in 2016, for example, was certainly no Decathlon, but it did have stores in both Zubiri and Viana (and possibly other locations as well).

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
True. I think Casa Ivar is a smaller local business than many sporting goods stores in Spain, and has a track record of supporting the Camino and the community of pilgrims in ways that other local businesses may not.
Basically a "one man show," though Ivar does have one employee now.

I started the CF 13 Apr with a very light sleeping bag and silk liner. Used it 4 times then got rid of it. For me the silk liner was enough. There seemed to be plenty of blankets available along the way.

I bought a lightweight, xtra long, cheap bag off of EBay 6 years ago and used it on 2 Demi-Camino of 150 miles each, both in October. Worked fine. Rather than roll the bag up tightly, I spread it out in a large Ziploc bag. Adds cushioning. Bag is reasonably lightweight but in all honesty, I am not one to cut off tags from stuff to lighten the load.

As an aside, bought the XL bag when I was 6-7, over the Camino and other hikes, I lost an inch in height, but went up a shoe size!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I took a light sleeping bag and a liner on the CF starting in April 2022. It worked out well and there were many cooler nights where I felt snug and comfortable in my sleeping bag. May God bless you on your journey!
Buen Camino,
Daniel

Just a lightweight bag. Mine is down and barely weighs anything. I cut the zipper and hood off.
You can also buy an inexpensive down travel blanket that will work just fine.
And try it out at home in front of an open door all night to see if it works before you take it on the Camino. . .

The Sea to Summit Traveler bag comes in a 50 degree version, so lighter and cheaper than the 30 degree model, but always worked well for me in March. A few times I slept with my down jacket too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back