• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or no?

TMcA

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
My wife and I will spend nearly three weeks on the Chemin du Puy starting October 5 from Le Puy. Right now we do not plan to carry sleeping bags, having read on the forum that they are not necessary in the gites and other accommodations along the way. We will carry only our silk liners which will save ourselves a couple of pounds each. Will these liners alone be acceptable to the proprietors of the places where we will stay?

From a study of the posts on the Le Puy section of this very helpful forum, we will: take the train from the Lyon airport into the city and then on to Le Puy; purchase the Orange telephone card and make reservations in advance at the places we wish to stay; use the Miam Miam Dodo guide (already purchased); and, utitlize Blue Marble for caching in Paris the things we will need there after our hike

In addition to the help obtained on this forum, we should thank the many hikers we met last spring on the Camino Frances who nominated this portion of the Chemin du Puy and who further advised us that we must do this hike in autumn.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, you'll be fine with a liner. Blankets will be available. You may need to ask for them, so make sure your French includes that phrase. If you're not already brushing up on your French, get cracking! It will make a huge difference in how much you enjoy this trip. At that time of year, it will be really important to look downstream for lodging reservations and for availability of supplies. Your gite hosts can call ahead for you, and find out what the situation is. Tourism Offices are also terrific resources. As always in France, plan ahead for weekends, school vacations, and other holidays. All Saints' will occur during your trip, and that's a major one. Many establishments close after that.

Bon Chemin!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
it will be really important to look downstream for lodging reservations
When the crowds have tapered off, hosts stop opening automatically, so you will need to call ahead so that they will be there. They will be very welcoming, but they do not hang around all week on the off chance that a pilgrim will drop by! If you cannot make a basic phone call, ask the current host to call ahead for you. Two to three days of advance reservations are a good idea, and be sure to cancel if you won't be using a reservation.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back