• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping place between SJPP and Roncesvalles on 2 nov 2018

willemijna vogelaar

Time of past OR future Camino
nov 2018
My friend and I wil started de Camino France on 2 nov. 2018. We want to sleep between SJPP and Roncesvalles, but the refuge Orisson is closed. Do you know another sleeping place what is open on 2 nov. 2018? We do not want to walk to first day 24 km. Thank you

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The Route Napoleon, the mountain route, I believe closes on November 1. If so, you take the way through the valley and stop in the town of Valcarlos. There is an albergue there and also, I think, some private accommodation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
stop by the pilgrim office in sjpp, they have the latest info. route napoleon usually closes on november 1st, but if the weather is really good it may stay open for the first weekend of november. I think that all the accommodation on route napoleon closes down at the end of october but again, ask in the pilgrim office.

There is one albergue in Valcarlos and several casa rurals.
See all as cited on this Gronze.com list.
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/saint-jean-pied-port/valcarlos/roncesvalles

The municipal albergue is great and you can reserve there. Since the Valcarlos municipal has few beds a reservation is safest.

At times the camino path diverges off the road into the wood; in winter weather I always followed the roads parallel to the path. The roads are fine but do walk on the left-side verges facing traffic.

If you walk at dawn/dusk wear something bright and carry your light to flash towards on-coming traffic.

Between SJPdP and Valcarlos there is only one place for food/water/petrol near the old frontier; between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles there is no place for food nor potable water. Be prepared!

Good luck and Buen camino to both of you!

The Route Napoleon, the mountain route, I believe closes on November 1
but if the weather is really good it may stay open for the first weekend of November.
No believe's and may's, please, it's crystal clear: Since 2015 and by order of the Government of Navarra, the Spanish section of the Route Napoleon is closed for pilgrims and other walkers every year from 1 November until 31 March:

Closes every year on 1 Nov.jpg

You must go via Valcarlos.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My friend and I wil started de Camino France on 2 nov. 2018. We want to sleep between SJPP and Roncesvalles, but the refuge Orisson is closed. Do you know another sleeping place what is open on 2 nov. 2018? We do not want to walk to first day 24 km. Thank you
I agree about checking in SJ pilgrims office.
There is a wonderful albergue with a restaurant at Hunto. It may still be open.
Buen Camino
Happymark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am taking the Valcarlos route on the last day of October. Just too much for me all the way to the top and into Roncesvalles on the first day. Nice Albergue, 24 beds, kitchen etc.
10.00/bed
Since you may arrive on the weekend, or after hours, the door code can be had also at the Benta Ardandegia restaurant.

Last edited:
Not to mention a bar at the very end of the town with tasty food, friendly service and a small shop with regional products. Valcarlos is a feel-good town. Personally, I was moved by the story of the local church.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Now Googling "History of Valcarlos Chruch"

Ok. So the church was destroyed during the War of Convention and rebuilt between 1799 and 1802. On the info board you will read that “ between 9, 13 and 21 September 1803, Valcarlos applied for a loan of 26,407 reales and 13 maravedies at the annual interest rate of 13,12 percent. All Valcarlos dwellers guaranteed the loan with their properties and their lives, about the way of paying the cost of stonemasonry and carpentry works for the Church and parish house”.

I was deeply moved by the story for two different reasons. Firstly, that whole town guaranteed the loan for the church not only with their possessions but also with their lives. The second reason is more personal. This year to do the Camino I had to take a loan to buy a new bike (my old one after doing 5 Caminos has finally retired) and new GPS (last moment, my friend’s GPS happened to be not so reliable). It was important for me to do it in the spring because I wanted to publish my guide for cyclists, that I finished three years ago, but in the end, I didn’t publish it. The route does change, so I had to cycle it again. I climbed to Valcarlos, full of doubts and when I read this story I realized that perhaps I am not so crazy after all. They cleared the loan after 30 years. I will pay back my next year.

So you see, thanks to the story from the 19th century I started to climb to Ibaneta in a much better frame of mind.

Ok. So the church was destroyed during the War of Convention and rebuilt between 1799 and 1802. On the info board you will read that “ between 9, 13 and 21 September 1803, Valcarlos applied for a loan of 26,407 reales and 13 maravedies at the annual interest rate of 13,12 percent. All Valcarlos dwellers guaranteed the loan with their properties and their lives, about the way of paying the cost of stonemasonry and carpentry works for the Church and parish house”.

I was deeply moved by the story for two different reasons. Firstly, that whole town guaranteed the loan for the church not only with their possessions but also with their lives. The second reason is more personal. This year to do the Camino I had to take a loan to buy a new bike (my old one after doing 5 Caminos has finally retired) and new GPS (last moment, my friend’s GPS happened to be not so reliable). It was important for me to do it in the spring because I wanted to publish my guide for cyclists, that I finished three years ago, but in the end, I didn’t publish it. The route does change, so I had to cycle it again. I climbed to Valcarlos, full of doubts and when I read this story I realized that perhaps I am not so crazy after all. They cleared the loan after 30 years. I will pay back my next year.

So you see, thanks to the story from the 19th century I started to climb to Ibaneta in a much better frame of mind.

Truly inspiring. Both parts of the story!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
stop by the pilgrim office in sjpp, they have the latest info. route napoleon usually closes on november 1st, but if the weather is really good it may stay open for the first weekend of november. I think that all the accommodation on route napoleon closes down at the end of october but again, ask in the pilgrim office.
Route Napoleon is closed from November 1th. since 2015 .

Truly inspiring. Both parts of the story!!

Thank you so much! Buen Camino and say hello to Valcarlos. I hope that you will have good weather

To put it bluntly Willem , if you go over the top you are endangering the lives of others.....not too worried about you mate if you disobey this simple Govt instruction.
Valcarlos is a beautiful Basque village where you will be well looked after.
DO NOT GO OVER THE TOP , regardless of advice from anyone in STJPdP

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back