• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Slip sliding away" in Lisbon

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree they are treacherous when wet (I've gone down on them a few times) but they are beautifully dangerous.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I shared that article with some friends in Lisbon yesterday, and they responded that they would not hate to see those little tiles disappear. Oh, no, I responded! Not surprisingly, people who live there (at least those who are not associated with tourism) may see them differently than those of us who go to enjoy their charms every so often.

I have seen some "prefabricated facsimilies" of these tiles and they are just awful, IMHO, so I am not sure what the solution is. If you've ever seen people (usually young men) installing them, it is truly an impressive skill, and the little bing bing bing as they knock them into place is a sound that's embedded in my brain. The benefits of this type of construction are not inconsiderable -- much better drainage than from unbroken impervious surface, much easier to do small scale repairs underneath, and of course the beautiful aesthetic. But like many good things, it comes at a price, and I have no doubt they are a safety hazard.

Must have been a slow news day for the WSJ :)

Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• photo (480x640).jpg
    photo (480x640).jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 9
View attachment 10631
Could not agree more. Spent a few days in Lisbon and flew home from there after completing my Camino on May 18. It rained the whole time (evening things out after 17 straight days of sunshine on the Camino). Take a look at some Lisbon sidewalks as smooth as marbleView attachment 10631 even when dry.

Different kind of pavement not made with the same stone ;)

To be very honest, the problem it's not in the pavement itself, it's on the maintenance that the city hall does (which is almost zero). The "calçada tradicional portuguêsa" doesn’t exist only in Lisbon. It's spread out all over Portugal. I don't have any problems in the town where I live with the sidewalks. But on Lisbon, especially on the old neighborhoods, where the ground it's unleveled and it's also very unstable, every year, they should do some maintenance to that.

And for those who will probably ask, "Why doesn't the city hall take it out?" Because it's considered National Art/Patrimony that’s why.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Did not mean my post as a critique. Actually loved the sidewalks and most other things about Lisbon. Plan to return and see more. :D

Did not mean my post as a critique. Actually loved the sidewalks and most other things about Lisbon. Plan to return and see more. :D

Actually, I didn't took it has a critic. I just forgot to separate your photo, from the explanation that I wanted to give :D

Actually, I didn't took it has a critic. I just forgot to separate your photo, from the explanation that I wanted to give :D
Obrigado. (That is the extent of my Portuguese vocabulary.) ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back