• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So Glad I Walked The Coastal Route From Porto!

Miles2go

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto-Santiago (July 2015)
Thank you to all of the forum members whose input influenced me to walk, for my first Camino, the coastal route of the CP from Porto to Vila do Conde before joining the central route near Arcos. The walk along the Rio Douro to the ocean was safe and very scenic and even more scenic passing beaches and through small fishing villages between Matoshinos and Vila do Conde. Along the ocean the route was very well marked and I walked mostly on wonderful boardwalks thoughtfully constructed over dunes and protected wetland areas. Cafes and busy swimming beaches were plentiful and the cool ocean breeze was something I missed on the rest of my journey to Santiago.

I left Porto on July 9 and arrived 13 days and 250 kilometers later in Santiago on July 21 having had the pleasure to walk with 12 other pilgrims along the way. For me, the coastal walk, a festive night spent at Casa da Fernanda, and the celebration dinner in Santiago with nearly all of my Camino friends were the highlights of the trip.

Were I to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey C,

I'm glad you made it, so fortunate to have met you on the way. So glad that you adjusted my backpack the correct way or I might not have reached the end, blisters have healed up nicely by the way.

Thanks for the memories.

Lee

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Heading to Porto in few days to walk the coastal way to Santiago (although I plan to walk as much as possible along the coastline and get inland only if have no other choice). Thanks for the updates

Thanks for these posts. I am planning on walking the coastal route June 2016. I will be starting in Viana do Castelo. Any helpful info/maps/guides is greatly appreciated!!

From Viana do Castelo

Just follow the ocean as far as Vigo by keeping the ocean at the left side.

Keep an eye on the website of the ferryboat in Caminha if it is sailing (due to the tide) otherwise ask aroundin Caminha for a fisherman called Mario (Mario o pescardor) He can set you over- 5€ per person- see my video).
From Baiona-Nigrán you can follow the yellow waymarkers which lead into the hills to Vigo or the green ones which keep following the coastline.

In Redondela you will hit the central Portugese route to Santiago

Forget the municipal albergue in Redondela and walk on for 3 kms to Cessantes where is a far better albergue, refúxio de la Jerézana
https://www.facebook.com/pages/O-Refuxio-De-la-Jerezana/727438757316819

Thank you Albert! Beautiful video! What time of year did you walk? Thanks you for the info< i will print it and use it!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The hospitalera at Cesantes Refuxio de la Jerezana said she would consider opening for groups so it might be interesting to call in and see if she opens on a particular day. This albergue also has a private room. I received this information from her when I stayed there at the beginning of September 2015.

Walking and beaches is a combination I would love to try. Have done the CF , most of the CP inland and a bit of the Norte and would love to try the CP coastal route. Can anyone direct me to a good guide for that?

Im flying into Porto sept 16, i would love to walk some coast but I dont have a lot of time, I am supposed to take a bus to Valenca and start my walk to Santiago from there, how can I walk a small portion of coast, my flight is supposed to arrive at 11:45 am on a Sat the 17th, not sure if I would be able to start walking upon my arrival or i would need some rest after the long flight from texas

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Im flying into Porto sept 16, i would love to walk some coast but I dont have a lot of time, I am supposed to take a bus to Valenca and start my walk to Santiago from there, how can I walk a small portion of coast, my flight is supposed to arrive at 11:45 am on a Sat the 17th, not sure if I would be able to start walking upon my arrival or i would need some rest after the long flight from texas
Hi, Cecy,
It sounds to me like walking a "small portion of coast" will be a pretty hard thing for you to do given your walking plans. If you have several extra days, you could go out to the coast from Porto and walk for a couple of days, then go back to Porto and get the bus to Valenca to start your "Camino proper." But if you are committed to walking from Valenca to Santiago, there really aren't good options for going over to the coast from there that I know about.

And as far as walking upon arrival, it just depends on how your body handles jet lag. There are some (jpflavin on the forum is one who jumps to mind) who start walking upon arrival after a transatlantic flight. There are others who need the arrival day and the next day to get over jet lag. I am in the middle, I arrive one day and start walking the next.

Bom Caminho, Laurie

Hi, Cecy,
It sounds to me like walking a "small portion of coast" will be a pretty hard thing for you to do given your walking plans. If you have several extra days, you could go out to the coast from Porto and walk for a couple of days, then go back to Porto and get the bus to Valenca to start your "Camino proper." But if you are committed to walking from Valenca to Santiago, there really aren't good options for going over to the coast from there that I know about.

And as far as walking upon arrival, it just depends on how your body handles jet lag. There are some (jpflavin on the forum is one who jumps to mind) who start walking upon arrival after a transatlantic flight. There are others who need the arrival day and the next day to get over jet lag. I am in the middle, I arrive one day and start walking the next.

Bom Caminho, Laurie

Laurie

Thank you for your input, because of the days I have to walk Im stuck as to where to start my walk. I might just return to Porto after Santiago and enjoy some time at the beach soaking in and reflecting on the walk I just finished before returning to reality of everyday life.

Buen Camino

Thank you to all of the forum members whose input influenced me to walk, for my first Camino, the coastal route of the CP from Porto to Vila do Conde before joining the central route near Arcos. The walk along the Rio Douro to the ocean was safe and very scenic and even more scenic passing beaches and through small fishing villages between Matoshinos and Vila do Conde. Along the ocean the route was very well marked and I walked mostly on wonderful boardwalks thoughtfully constructed over dunes and protected wetland areas. Cafes and busy swimming beaches were plentiful and the cool ocean breeze was something I missed on the rest of my journey to Santiago.

I left Porto on July 9 and arrived 13 days and 250 kilometers later in Santiago on July 21 having had the pleasure to walk with 12 other pilgrims along the way. For me, the coastal walk, a festive night spent at Casa da Fernanda, and the celebration dinner in Santiago with nearly all of my Camino friends were the highlights of the trip.

Were I to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.
Great to hear this as planning same.. could you list the where you stayed and distances you travelled?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great to hear this as planning same.. could you list the where you stayed and distances you travelled?
Most distances between Porto and Santiago are in between 20 kms per stage exept Padrón to Santiago 24 km but you can split this up into two f.ex by staying in Teo a Casalonga. From there it is 10 kms to Santiago

Most distances between Porto and Santiago are in between 20 kms per stage exept Padrón to Santiago 24 km but you can split this up into two f.ex by staying in Teo a Casalonga. From there it is 10 kms to Santiago

Is that over 10 days Albertinho??? Thank you

Porto to Vila do Conde of Vairão. Stage 1
VdC or Vairão to São Pedro de Rates stage 2
Rates to Barcelos stage 3
Barcelos to Casa Fernanda stage 4
Fernanda to Pinte de Lima stage 5
PdL to Rubiães stage 6
Rubiãs t Valença do Minho/Tui stage 7
Valença /Tui to O Porriño stage 8
O Porriño to Redondela/Cessantes stage 9
Redondela/Cessantes to Pontevedra stage 10
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis stage 11
Caldas de Reis to Padrón stage 12
Padrón to Santiago stage 13.

Stage 1 take the metro from Porto center to Matosinhos stop Mercado or Fórum Maia and walk from there yo keep the distance within 20 kms

You can split Padrón to Santiago into 2 days by walking to Teo a Casalonga
Next day the walk of triumph will be a relaxed 10 kms, enjoying entering and arriving in Santiago and have time to attendcthe pilgrimsmass (if it is still at 12h00 ? )

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

If people want to do it in shorter time then in 13 or 14 days, this could be an idea of the distances

Porto to Vila do Conde 30kms
VdC to Barcelos 35 kms
Barcelos to Ponte de Lima 34 km. ( you miss casa da Fernanda )
PdL to Rubiães 20 km
Rubiães to Tui 23 km
Tui to Cessantes 38 km or Redondela 35 km
Redondela to Pontevedra 20 kms
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 20 km
Caldas de Reis to Teo a Casalonga 34 kms
Teo to Santiago 10 km.

Last edited:
If people want to do it in shorter time then in 13 or 14 days, this could be an idea of the distances

Porto to Vila do Conde 30kms
VdC to Barcelos 35 kms
Barcelos to Ponte de Lima 34 km. ( you miss casa da Fernanda )
PdL to Rubiães 20 km
Rubiães to Tui 23 km
Tui to Cessantes 38 km or Redondela 35 km
Redondela to Pontevedra 20 kms
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 20 km
Caldas de Reis to Teo a Casalonga 34 kms
Teo to Santiago 10 km.

Albertinho, 2 minutes agoEditDeleteReportBookmark
Exactly what I needed Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Heading to Porto in few days to walk the coastal way to Santiago do (although I plan to walk as much as possible along the coastline and get inland only if have no other choice). Thanks for the updates
Hello... I plan to do the same in August...

let me know how this works out for you.... if there are enough albergues, distance, kilometres etc.

Thanks and buen camino!

let me know how this works out for you.... if there are enough albergues, distance, kilometres etc.

Thanks and buen camino!
See above !
All places mntioned have albergues ,hostals etc

Bom caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks and buen camino!

I'm hoping to do this too end of April. Enjoy!

You might consider having a look at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/ - it shows the route along the coast from Porto to Santiago as well as (well...almost) all accomodation along that route.

Bom caminho!
Christian

Most read last week in this forum

Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back