• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

So sad

• Thread starter Former member 42123
  • Start date
F

Former member 42123

I said I would not post again,but my obsession with the Camino means the forum as well.I find that first opportunity I get each day I look up latest news from the forum.I am so sad to read all the current "bad news stories" and fear what they may do to my beloved Camino.I still believe the Camino is safe ,even if it requires a degree of caution by female pilgrims not spoken about before.I plead with all you ladies who are having fears or doubts about going on Camino not to loose the courage it took to make that first decision to go.The Camino restored my faith,my beliefs,my spirituality which had lain dormant,and even if you have none of the above,I believe it will bring you memories to last a lifetime,and may change your life forever.May your God go with you to protect you as you walk,and look out for each other.Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome back, Philip, and Bom Caminho! Jill

Hi Philip, Yes i agree with you, if we listened to all the negativities we wouldn't go anywhere. So come on ladies lets get out there and enjoy ourselves. Buen Camino to all, Judy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well said Philip. Thank you for posting about your experience.

Hi guys, I am 56yrs and I am doing the last 146km in Portugal starting in Oia in August. I will be flying on my own, and walking on my own. I have read the scary stories and unfortunately there are creepy people all over the world. I will definitely have my guard up but won't be obsessed looking over my shoulder all the time.. I plan to enjoy the Camino. All is booked so no changing mind now. I have heard the Portuguese way has less pilgrims but I am sure I wont be alone.. Anyone walking after 27th august is more than welcome to walk with me...

Hi guys, I am 56yrs and I am doing the last 146km in Portugal starting in Oia in August. I will be flying on my own, and walking on my own. I have read the scary stories and unfortunately there are creepy people all over the world. I will definitely have my guard up but won't be obsessed looking over my shoulder all the time.. I plan to enjoy the Camino. All is booked so no changing mind now. I have heard the Portuguese way has less pilgrims but I am sure I wont be alone.. Anyone walking after 27th august is more than welcome to walk with me...
I take my hat off to you, Buen Camino!

I said I would not post again,but my obsession with the Camino means the forum as well.I find that first opportunity I get each day I look up latest news from the forum.I am so sad to read all the current "bad news stories" and fear what they may do to my beloved Camino.I still believe the Camino is safe ,even if it requires a degree of caution by female pilgrims not spoken about before.I plead with all you ladies who are having fears or doubts about going on Camino not to loose the courage it took to make that first decision to go.The Camino restored my faith,my beliefs,my spirituality which had lain dormant,and even if you have none of the above,I believe it will bring you memories to last a lifetime,and may change your life forever.May your God go with you to protect you as you walk,and look out for each other.Buen Camino.

I'm there in October and looking forward!

I think that one issue is that people feel the need to "defend" the Camino. It is what it is. Who comes will come.

Buen Camino!

We'll be starting, in Lisbon Sept 17th/15.............you'll be 'way ahead, but leave us a "hi" somewhere and we'll look for it :) fondly sandi & Ann

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have no hesitation in walking the Camino alone-it changed my entire life. I don't even live in the same country as I did when I first walked it in 2012. Take the usual precautions you do in life. Standard practice. I will be walking the Sanabres alone this November and have nothing but positive thoughts and feelings. It is indeed a privilege.

Hi All, I am starting my Camino VDLP from Seville on the 3 September. I have heard there is a bit of trouble on the first stage between Seville and Guillena. I am hoping to meet fellow pilgrims and walk with someone on that day. But, if not, then I will be most vigilant and depend on my defense skills, But most of all, I hope that the "problem" no longer exists! I am not going to let this prevent me from enjoying my second Camino experience!
Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jenny,

I walked the VDLP from Seville to Zamora last month and there was no trouble between Seville and Guillena, there were about 25 pilgrims on that stage that day and I didn't hear any reports of any trouble.

Paul.

Hello all, I have just booked flights last week on the suggestion of my 25 year old son, to do the Comino starting in 2-3 weeks. I was made redundant from my position at the university I work at 2 weeks ago and although this is on my sons bucket list - not mine - he thinks this pilgrimage is just what I need. I am 47, single and female and will be doing the journey 'da sola'. Any advice, tips or words of encouragement would be warmly welcomed :) Marisa

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fellow pilgrims, let us dwell of the beauty, the good, and the faith of the Way, and not give any power to the relatively nonexistent experiences that create fear and doubt. I have, and will again walk with you on the path of the camino in peace and harmony. Buen Camino to all who travel this summer.
Janet

The unknown..
Makes a monster from a shadow
A wolf from a barking dog

I hesitate to approach the unknown
With the length and breadth of the experience..in front of me..too many variables to count

Add the stories which undoubtedly have been part and parcel of the Camino since year one,and you have the imperceptible "movement" one feels before trouble in a group of people.

Time,distance and experience bring light into the dark corners of the mind.
Waiting to rear ...and roar loudly in the unseeable fog.

I have not walked to Santiago yet
But i have walked many roads
And fear of the unknown was always there
All a person can do is decide to go forth,to trust in providence to provide
Some call it Faith
Some call it courage
Some...sadly, will not take the first step
The darkness is too vast,too full of unknown..
The Camino...is.
As someone said
Gird your loins,to the sticking place!
Dont walk in fear
Walk in Faith

Hi guys, I am 56yrs and I am doing the last 146km in Portugal starting in Oia in August. I will be flying on my own, and walking on my own. I have read the scary stories and unfortunately there are creepy people all over the world. I will definitely have my guard up but won't be obsessed looking over my shoulder all the time.. I plan to enjoy the Camino. All is booked so no changing mind now. I have heard the Portuguese way has less pilgrims but I am sure I won't be alone.. Anyone walking after 27th august is more than welcome to walk with me...

Amen! I hiked my first at 56 and my second at 61. First Camino was Solo and it was the very best. We can have one emotion at a time; choose Fear or choose Love. I choose love and I carry sticks.

The unknown..
Makes a monster from a shadow
A wolf from a barking dog

I hesitate to approach the unknown
With the length and breadth of the experience..in front of me..too many variables to count

Add the stories which undoubtedly have been part and parcel of the Camino since year one,and you have the imperceptible "movement" one feels before trouble in a group of people.

Time,distance and experience bring light into the dark corners of the mind.
Waiting to rear ...and roar loudly in the unseeable fog.

I have not walked to Santiago yet
But i have walked many roads
And fear of the unknown was always there
All a person can do is decide to go forth,to trust in providence to provide
Some call it Faith
Some call it courage
Some...sadly, will not take the first step
The darkness is too vast,too full of unknown..
The Camino...is.
As someone said
Gird your loins,to the sticking place!
Dont walk in fear
Walk in Faith

William Garza I love what you wrote. Beautiful

Hello all, I have just booked flights last week on the suggestion of my 25 year old son, to do the Comino starting in 2-3 weeks. I was made redundant from my position at the university I work at 2 weeks ago and although this is on my sons bucket list - not mine - he thinks this pilgrimage is just what I need. I am 47, single and female and will be doing the journey 'da sola'. Any advice, tips or words of encouragement would be warmly welcomed :) Marisa

It's exactly the right thing for you. When you begin you may hear a conversation in your head. Mine is always between my Ego and Spirit. My brother who works a 12 step program tells me I'm lucky there are only 2! Some call this conversation "The Committee." hehe At any rate, as you walk you will work things out. Some things you didn't know needed working on and others you may be aware of. For me, walking Solo was imperative. Being alone with one's self without distractions of the human kind is a wonderful thing. There will be people enough and you will find new friends along the way.

Many Pilgrims take along "stones" and pray as they go holding a stone. When they are DONE they lay the stone down. I carried 5 stones. I laid them all down with the exception of the last one. It took me a second Camino to work that issue out. Some Pilgrims are not walking for Spiritual reasons, but end up finding their arrival in Santiago a Spiritual experience nevertheless.

For me, the Camino was life-changing. Ego still knocks at the door, but I tell her where to sit at my Table. Spirit sits at the head.
I'm excited for you and the opportunity the Universe has placed in front of you. Buen Camino Tubby!

I'm hopping over Guillena and starting at Castiblanco de Arroyos. Just trying to beat the odds. Debra, try to walk with at least 2 other people. Just a thought,since 2 pilgrims walking together were robbed. I'm guessing it's a little late to take a self defense course but do it if you can. I traveled to a bigger city where I took a Fight the Fear class and found it helpful and gave me ideas to defend myself that I hadn't considered. I'm planning to take an advanced class before I leave in 3 months. Not letting these few negative incidents keep me from the camino but at least will feel more confident with these measures.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's exactly the right thing for you. When you begin you may hear a conversation in your head. Mine is always between my Ego and Spirit. My brother who works a 12 step program tells me I'm lucky there are only 2! Some call this conversation "The Committee." hehe At any rate, as you walk you will work things out. Some things you didn't know needed working on and others you may be aware of. For me, walking Solo was imperative. Being alone with one's self without distractions of the human kind is a wonderful thing. There will be people enough and you will find new friends along the way.

Many Pilgrims take along "stones" and pray as they go holding a stone. When they are DONE they lay the stone down. I carried 5 stones. I laid them all down with the exception of the last one. It took me a second Camino to work that issue out. Some Pilgrims are not walking for Spiritual reasons, but end up finding their arrival in Santiago a Spiritual experience nevertheless.

For me, the Camino was life-changing. Ego still knocks at the door, but I tell her where to sit at my Table. Spirit sits at the head.
I'm excited for you and the opportunity the Universe has placed in front of you. Buen Camino Tubby!

Gracias rubyslippers xx

I'm hopping over Guillena and starting at Castiblanco de Arroyos. Just trying to beat the odds. Debra, try to walk with at least 2 other people. Just a thought,since 2 pilgrims walking together were robbed. I'm guessing it's a little late to take a self defense course but do it if you can. I traveled to a bigger city where I took a Fight the Fear class and found it helpful and gave me ideas to defend myself that I hadn't considered. I'm planning to take an advanced class before I leave in 3 months. Not letting these few negative incidents keep me from the camino but at least will feel more confident with these measures.

For women, like yourself, who are traveling on the Camino or for those who are planning to do so in the next 5 years, there is a networking group for women who want to buddy up with other women for companionship and safety. Join us at the FB page "Buddy System for Women on the Camino" and start planning your trip. Buen Camino!

I travel often and just returned from a long stay in Vancouvery, BC. I found as I hiked on trails and walks all around the city and parks that the Camino is still and always "with me". I felt I needed to post that here. Tubby, it will be with you for the rest of your life and every time your feet hit the pavement or the path you will remember the inner voice and you will converse with your best Self as you go. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will try to walk with someone if i can. I will be buying a whistle and i figure I have my walking poles so that might put them off... I am walking Portuguese way and a lady on f/b has been putting up pics for me and from what i see there are a lot of pilgrims.

Hi Jenny,

I walked the VDLP from Seville to Zamora last month and there was no trouble between Seville and Guillena, there were about 25 pilgrims on that stage that day and I didn't hear any reports of any trouble.

Paul.
Thank you, Paul. Good to know.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back