• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks and Crocks

sitges54

Time of past OR future Camino
No I am not asking the perceived question, " is acceptable to wear socks with sandals or crocs". Coming from a country with four distinct seasons I find myself (in summer) wearing sockless crocs the majority of the time. Not the traditional crocs, but the 'santa cruz" type which resembles a loafer. With all the talk of socks needed for walking has anyone done this option. I know of those who have done it in sandals, but crocs are just so comfortable. Am I being naïve thinking this can be done? Yes I know they don't offer the support, but I'm not going to be in any hurry. Even taking two pair as they are light, and forgoing socks seems a win win, or am I missing something?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All depends.
When my boot disintegrated I had to wear my crocs for two days before I get a place big enough to buy a replacement footwear.
Realized that Crocs although are pretty comfortable but when walking most of the day with backpack generates some fiction which is mitigated when I wear socks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have also walked in Croc sandals for a few days when I could not stand my boots after two days of walking and did just fine. But, don't expect them to last bery long as they are made of porous material and the thread will quickly disappear. Also, when I walked in them there was no rain, and I know from experience how slippery they can be when it does rain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have also walked in Croc sandals for a few days when I could not stand my boots after two days of walking and did just fine. But, don't expect them to last bery long as they are made of porous material and the thread will quickly disappear. Also, when I walked in them there was no rain, and I know from experience how slippery they can be when it does rain.
So what your saying in effect is Croc's wont eat your feet?;)

No I am not asking the perceived question, " is acceptable to wear socks with sandals or crocs". Coming from a country with four distinct seasons I find myself (in summer) wearing sockless crocs the majority of the time. Not the traditional crocs, but the 'santa cruz" type which resembles a loafer. With all the talk of socks needed for walking has anyone done this option. I know of those who have done it in sandals, but crocs are just so comfortable. Am I being naïve thinking this can be done? Yes I know they don't offer the support, but I'm not going to be in any hurry. Even taking two pair as they are light, and forgoing socks seems a win win, or am I missing something?

Very unlikely you can walk 800/1000 km in crocs.
You can try it and let us know

I have seen some in dire straits after crossing the Pyrenees, who have resorted to crocks´n socks just to bear the burden of blisters suffered !!
No one will judge you and nescessity is the mother of all invention. So crock it out !!
Hope you´ll get by !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No one will judge you and nescessity is the mother of all invention.

Or, more simply put, "Necessity is a Mother-..."

I just got a pair of Crocs to try out. Oddly enough, my "problem-foot" has also proven to be slightly shorter than its companion. Difficulties galore. Working on the solution. Will post when I'm done.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be able to do it. My plantar fasciitis requires that I wear boots with strong support. i made the mistake of wearing hiking shoes instead. Didn't even know that I suffered from this until I'd walked 3 days on the Primitivo. The hard ball walking is very tough on feet.
Some people say they can do it. Many can't. I suggest you practice with a weighted pack on hard surfaces for a few miles first.

I had no blisters. Just the horrible plantar fasciitis and one ankle tendinitis from an old injury. No way I wear sandals. Be sure before you decide.

I suggest you practice with a weighted pack on hard surfaces for a few miles first.

This isn't directly on point, but perhaps it may help.

My wife and I just spent 20 days in central Europe; we walked an average of eight miles per day (the long day was 13 miles). We learned that day after day of cobblestone streets, even with great walking shoes and light daypacks, are hard on knees and ankles. Personally I found myself wishing for my hiking boots.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This isn't directly on point, but perhaps it may help.

My wife and I just spent 20 days in central Europe; we walked an average of eight miles per day (the long day was 13 miles). We learned that day after day of cobblestone streets, even with great walking shoes and light daypacks, are hard on knees and ankles. Personally I found myself wishing for my hiking boots.
I had no knee problems just the plantar fasciitis from hell. You just never know until you do it. Especially as our bodies get older. I too wish that I had worn my real hiking boots on the Primitivo. Everyone I came across in hiking shoes, sneakers, or sandals was in pain. With the notable exception of the 20 something triathletes and soccer players who had legs of steel.

I just got a pair of Crocs to try out. Oddly enough, my "problem-foot" has also proven to be slightly shorter than its companion. Difficulties galore. Working on the solution. Will post when I'm done.

Follow-up: Had to put a bit of small black shock cord on the heel-strap of the right Croc so it would stay up. (Right foot = problem foot.) The cord is attached to the strap on both sides and lies fairly loose across my instep, where my foot quickly grows accustomed to it. The elasticity helps in putting the Croc on and taking it off; otherwise it could be a bit of plain cord.

The Crocs, with socks, are pretty darn comfortable. I wore them on a 3-mile neighborhood walk, to Starbucks and back. Haven't tried them without socks yet.

Last edited:
Crocs are the favourite choice of' end of day' footwear for bush walkers , I look forward to removing my boots and putting them on after carrying 15 odd kilograms all day .
They do wear a lot though and give no ankle support at all , a simple sideslip might turn into something much more serious when wearing them .
For sometime Crocs were suggested as comfortable footwear for elderly and less agile people who had trouble putting shoes on . This is no longer the case as it seems , as Alaskadiver points out , that incidences of Plantar Faciitis increased dramatically when Crocs were worn for extended periods .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Boots for walking, Crocs for indoors and some sightseeing. Triple socks with the boots and double socks ( thin liners plus thin mohair ) with the Crocs. Happy feet.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.