• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo Australian leaving Le Puy for SJPDP on 18th Aug wants company

mflit

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi. I arrive in Le Puy on 16th from Lyon and would welcome some company. This is my first Camino and I feel a little green. My French is also only at beginner level. Are there any English speakers amongst you that will be in Le Puy around this time?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll let you into a little secret - we were all greenhorns once ;)

Stick your national flag on your pack alongside one of Ivar's shell patches. If people can't understand you (or vice versa) smile sweetly and point to the patches.

Download the Google Translate app for French, Spanish and possibly Galician including the off line dictionaries. You can always type out what you want to say and even have "conversations" - you type in English they type in French or Spanish. You can even speak or take a photo (of a sign maybe) and it translates.

Remember, it's an Adventure - you're supposed to be out of your comfort zone!

Buen Camino!

I'll let you into a little secret - we were all greenhorns once ;)

Stick your national flag on your pack alongside one of Ivar's shell patches. If people can't understand you (or vice versa) smile sweetly and point to the patches.

Download the Google Translate app for French, Spanish and possibly Galician including the off line dictionaries. You can always type out what you want to say and even have "conversations" - you type in English they type in French or Spanish. You can even speak or take a photo (of a sign maybe) and it translates.

Remember, it's an Adventure - you're supposed to be out of your comfort zone!

Buen Camino!

Ditto!

Buen camino you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think you'll be OK! I'm walking the Le Puy route in stages. My spoken French is weak and I struggle to understand on the phone. I got round this by texting. French mobile phone numbers usually start with 06 or 05, so choose those ones to text. If you have the Miam Miam Dodo book, it has a multilingual glossary at the back. Book a couple of days ahead to be sure of accommodation, some places close unexpectedly and the first part of the route, as far as Conques, is popular with French hiking groups so gites fill up.

I didn't encounter a huge number of English speakers on the way but the French hikers were very friendly. Your French will improve MASSIVELY due to the total immersion experience. It's a beautiful route.
If you're going all the way to Santiago, once you reach SJPP you will be surrounded by all nationalities and will have English speakers galore. If you go to the pilgrim Mass in Le Puy you may meet some other English speakers - and you'll get a pilgrim blessing to go on with ;-)

I'm walking again from Aire-sur-l'Adour from 21 September but I think you'll be over the Pyrenees by then. Bon chemin!

Hi. I arrive in Le Puy on 16th from Lyon and would welcome some company. This is my first Camino and I feel a little green. My French is also only at beginner level. Are there any English speakers amongst you that will be in Le Puy around this time?

Enjoy every moment. You’ve been confident to commit to arriving at the start. Truly ., people are beautiful and you will form friendships along the way. I had so many opportunities to better my French. Lovely French people., some of whom spoke pretty good English and wanted to practise. Irish people who were French language teachers., French Canadians who spoke both languages.. at times I travelled with a combination.
If alone I booked accommodation a couple of days ahead using ‘Miam Miam dodo ‘ or if I was with a French speaking group ., then the ones more comfortable would make the call.
The only place I noticed the lack of French was noticeable to me was at the mass in Le Puy.

I think you’ll love it.
Bon chemin
Annie

Some more suggestions for you... the French gites are generally very well equipped, I have got by with a sleeping bag liner only, they will provide blankets. Once you get to SJPP you can buy a very lightweight sleeping bag which you're more likely to need as not every albergue provides blankets. That saves a bit of weight and space in your bag, which you may be grateful for as there are fewer cafe/food options on this route so you will more than likely want to carry some food with you.

You can get dinner, bed, and breakfast in most gites and the food generally will be amazingly good with regional specialties - this is indicated by DP or demi pension. They will also often make a picnic lunch for you to take with you the next day. However this increases costs considerably, I've seen prices of up to 10 euros for packed lunch and demi pension can hit 40 euros. If you have dietary requirements you must ask in advance if they can accommodate them. I'm vegetarian and don't have a lot of money so I looked out for gites where you could have use of a kitchen and tried to carry some simple food with me - baguette and a camembert baked in its box was a highlight dinner for me and a friend one night (and proved useful in attracting new friends!).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I could fly out right now and provide company I would!!!

I left Le Puy almost a year ago, and was nervous too. Within a couple hours of walking I knew I would be alright.

Pack a lunch for the first day, reserve your first night ahead of time, attend the early morning mass in Le Puy (whether you're religious or not; it's a great symbolic first step), and bon chemin!

I think you'll be OK! I'm walking the Le Puy route in stages. My spoken French is weak and I struggle to understand on the phone. I got round this by texting. French mobile phone numbers usually start with 06 or 05, so choose those ones to text. If you have the Miam Miam Dodo book, it has a multilingual glossary at the back. Book a couple of days ahead to be sure of accommodation, some places close unexpectedly and the first part of the route, as far as Conques, is popular with French hiking groups so gites fill up.

I didn't encounter a huge number of English speakers on the way but the French hikers were very friendly. Your French will improve MASSIVELY due to the total immersion experience. It's a beautiful route.
If you're going all the way to Santiago, once you reach SJPP you will be surrounded by all nationalities and will have English speakers galore. If you go to the pilgrim Mass in Le Puy you may meet some other English speakers - and you'll get a pilgrim blessing to go on with ;-)

I'm walking again from Aire-sur-l'Adour from 21 September but I think you'll be over the Pyrenees by then. Bon chemin!

Thanks for your message and advice. I hope to be well and truly into the swing of things by the time I reach Aire-sur-l'Adour which is nearly 600 Km from Le Puy. I plan to be walking shorter distances each day, especially if it stays hot, so our paths may cross.

Some more suggestions for you... the French gites are generally very well equipped, I have got by with a sleeping bag liner only, they will provide blankets. Once you get to SJPP you can buy a very lightweight sleeping bag which you're more likely to need as not every albergue provides blankets. That saves a bit of weight and space in your bag, which you may be grateful for as there are fewer cafe/food options on this route so you will more than likely want to carry some food with you.

You can get dinner, bed, and breakfast in most gites and the food generally will be amazingly good with regional specialties - this is indicated by DP or demi pension. They will also often make a picnic lunch for you to take with you the next day. However this increases costs considerably, I've seen prices of up to 10 euros for packed lunch and demi pension can hit 40 euros. If you have dietary requirements you must ask in advance if they can accommodate them. I'm vegetarian and don't have a lot of money so I looked out for gites where you could have use of a kitchen and tried to carry some simple food with me - baguette and a camembert baked in its box was a highlight dinner for me and a friend one night (and proved useful in attracting new friends!).

Thanks again. I too am vegetarian though I eat fish. I'll try to book a day or so ahead to make sure gites can provide non-meat dinners. I may need to cook occasionally to ensure I get enough green and other vegetables.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I left Le Puy almost a year ago, and was nervous too. Within a couple hours of walking I knew I would be alright.

Pack a lunch for the first day, reserve your first night ahead of time, attend the early morning mass in Le Puy (whether you're religious or not; it's a great symbolic first step), and bon chemin!

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping my nervousness will go once I actually start.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back