• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo Camino Frances 2018

CirrusTheCloud

Time of past OR future Camino
Upcoming, March 31-May 6 2018
I'm Cirrus, I'll be doing the Camino Frances alone March 31 - May 6 2018. Will be starting in either Saint Jean or Roncesvalles. I'm from Bellingham, Washington USA and this will be my first camino. Honestly I'm kind of terrified as I've never been abroad and my Spanish isn't what it should be, but I didn't know when else I'd have the opportunity to walk so I'm just going for it. Any advice for a young first timer?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Cirrus,

First of all congratulations, you're already braver than you think. To undertake a journey like this as your first trip abroad is something I don't think I'd have had the guts to do.

Second, the good news is that the Camino is a fantastic place to lose your fears. You'll learn just how little you need to get by each day and that includes Spanish! While it's nice and courteous to speak the language all you really need is to pick up a few key transactional phrases.

I was too stupid to be afraid for my first camino and pretty much blundered into it with no training, relatively little preparation and still lived to tell the tale. So in conclusion I would say your chances of not having a brilliant, uplifting experience are probably less than 5%.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Hi cirrus,

I am just up the road from you in Blaine, my solo begins apr 22, I am tercited just like you. My new word for a combination of terrified and exited. There is a semi annual Camino meeting tomorrow with the pilgrim society, it’s a great way to meet fellow pilgrims, they have speakers and lots of information to share. If you want more info send me a message It will be here before we know it. Oh boy!!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi cirrus,

I am just up the road from you in Blaine, my solo begins apr 22, I am tercited just like you. My new word for a combination of terrified and exited. There is a semi annual Camino meeting tomorrow with the pilgrim society, it’s a great way to meet fellow pilgrims, they have speakers and lots of information to share. If you want more info send me a message It will be here before we know it. Oh boy!!!!
I am starting my first ever solo camino on april 22 also! See you on the way! :)

You'll be fine. I met two 16-year olds from California last year who were walking the Camino. If you can, start in St Jean pied de port - the walk over the Pyrenees will stay with you forever, although you'll have to wait until 1 April to take the route Napoleon.

I'm Cirrus, I'll be doing the Camino Frances alone March 31 - May 6 2018. Will be starting in either Saint Jean or Roncesvalles. I'm from Bellingham, Washington USA and this will be my first camino. Honestly I'm kind of terrified as I've never been abroad and my Spanish isn't what it should be, but I didn't know when else I'd have the opportunity to walk so I'm just going for it. Any advice for a young first timer?
Cirrus, I'm your Okanagan neighbor. I walked solo in 2013 and 2016. You will meet and make so many friends and if you need help w Spanish, they can help you. All you really need to know are: bano, agua, dos, cafe con leche, por favor and gracias.
The Camino is a community and although you can select to be solitary by day, every bar, albergue and cafe stop will be brimming w new friends and acquaintances.
No need to be terrified.
Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Cirrus, that makes 2 of us. It's my first time and I will start from sjpp on March 31. We will probably meet. Buen Camino.

From Florida Will be in SJPDP 31 March start first camino 1 April. Buen Camino there are a few others who will also start in SJPDP around the same time a day ahead or behind. Don’t worry about overseas travel the natives are friendly :p and I am sure our camino friends are also

I am also doing it solo but starting a bit later - 20th April. From what I have heard, there will be plenty of company along the way. I do hope you have a wonderful experience. I am very excited at the prospect myself. You will very likely hear from others here who are travelling at the same time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.