• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo Female Traveller?

shortwander

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hello everyone! I am looking to start my trip on the 20th of April (looking at either the France or Portuguese route) solo. I've had a lot of backlash off my family saying it is not safe and I am crazy, that I need to do a planned group walk. It's sent me into a bit of a spiral and I've started looking at crime rates and whether it is safe.

Before this, I was a bit apprehensive but I live alone most the year (partner is military and he is deployed a lot), I am used to being alone and I am aware of the risks.

What would you do? Embrace it and do it anyway OR look at doing a group walk?

Thanks in advance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've done 6 Caminos as a solo traveller and I've seldom been on my own (I do like walking alone). The Camino is not in the wilderness but in modern European countries. Be aware of Alerts and talk to people in your accommodation about any issues you are worried about.
Most of all Enjoy the Wander.

I have done several caminos and the VF solo over the last 10 years. Common sense is key!
And this question regularly comes up about solo females on the forum - and generally the response is supportive.
The Spanish have really taken safety seriously for pilgrims and have a great Alertcops app. The CF is very social and it maybe a good option as you can easily meet others.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've done 6 Caminos as a solo traveller and I've seldom been on my own (I do like walking alone). The Camino is not in the wilderness but in modern European countries. Be aware of Alerts and talk to people in your accommodation about any issues you are worried about.
Most of all Enjoy the Wander.
Thank you, this is really comforting! Is there anything I should be aware of?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All of my trips have been as a solo female traveler, but I have met some very nice ladies of all ages to walk with on various sections. The more you travel, the more comfortable you will be. My husband is very supportive of my Camino walking trips.

@shortwander i have always walked long-distance footpaths on my own. None of my friends enjoy walking as much or as far as me (“2-3 hours max, and a pub at the end, please”)

I have never felt unsafe.

As for crime rates…crime rates in tiny villages in rural Spain or Portugal?? I will be VERY surprised if the crime rates where your family who are putting fears in your head, are not a jolly lot higher.

You can’t live bound up by imaginary fears. Go on Camino, download AlertCops as others have wisely said, embrace the experience, make lots of friends along the way. You won’t be alone unless you want to be.

I would add that on the most popular Camino - Camino Frances - last fall, a lot of my fellow pilgrims were solo female travellers. I walked the Camino Portugues Central route a few weeks ago, and I met other pilgrims every day from day 3 onwards, and by the penultimate day there was a merry band of 10 of us having dinner together in Padron, and then celebratory lunch and dinner in Santiago de Compostela - one couple, the rest of us solo female and male pilgrims from UK, Germany, Austria, SA, Taiwan, and Czechia. That’s typical of how things can work out, at least on the more popular routes.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are reports on some Caminos of female walkers being exposed to flashers and occasionally harrassed. You can read about these in the section of the forum for safety and security. These incidents, while few, can really shake a person up. Of course take that into account and how you think it could impact you. About nine years ago now, a women was killed on the Camino Frances and the man is now imprisoned. There have been no other reports like that.

These are not to scare you, but to make you aware. I would not feel afraid to walk alone and I know all these reports already but if after reading them the French and Portuguese routes are the most heavily traveled so you could likely find someone to walk with for a few days until you regain your desire to walk alone.

Be well and stay safe.

What would you do?
I, and thousands of other women of all ages, walk the camino "solo." On the popular Caminos, in April and May, you will rarely be far from other walkers. If you are feeling uncomfortable, it will be easy to stay within sight of others.

Is there anything I should be aware of?
Exactly the same things you should be aware of if you go for a long walk at home.

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Our dear sister,
In the journey of life, the skeptics and doubters may present themselves as obstacles, but they can also serve as catalysts. I have found that embracing them as catalysts has enriched my life beyond measure. Recent statistics suggest that there is equal, if not slightly higher, representation of women compared to men embarking on the Camino, particularly along the Frances route. I found among them a vast majority are solo pilgrims spanning a wide range of ages, from teenagers to octogenarians. If, as a solo traveler, you desire companionship, you'll find camaraderie readily available. As a woman, you probably already inherently possess an acute awareness of your surroundings. Trust your instincts, knowing that you tread upon a sacred path, surrounded by fellow travelers on their own special journeys. In my encounters on the Camino, I've found both women and men to be among the most compassionate and generous souls on Earth. Should you ever feel apprehensive or uneasy, don't hesitate to seek the company of your fellow pilgrims. Whenever I wished to depart early but hesitated to walk alone in the dark, I simply asked to join others setting out. Without fail, they welcomed my presence. All you require is your intuition and a spirit of adventure. In my personal experience, I've felt safer on the Camino than anywhere else I've ventured in the world. Trust in yourself, and let the path unfold before you with boundless possibilities.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello everyone! I am looking to start my trip on the 20th of April (looking at either the France or Portuguese route) solo. I've had a lot of backlash off my family saying it is not safe and I am crazy, that I need to do a planned group walk. It's sent me into a bit of a spiral and I've started looking at crime rates and whether it is safe.

Before this, I was a bit apprehensive but I live alone most the year (partner is military and he is deployed a lot), I am used to being alone and I am aware of the risks.

Thanks in advance!
it's safe. and yes, i'm a guy, but my friends who are ladies of all ages have walked the Camino solo, some several times, and have never felt threatened or unsafe. in any case, i doubt you have encountered anything concerning regarding crime rates. you may also find some reassurance in the fact that 52% of all the pilgrims that request their Compostela every year are ladies.

Should we ask how old you are, or how much life experience you have? Or whether you have already been a victim? Or how good your instincts are?

Or should we tell you what you've read above?

Neither are necessarily relevant. What *is* relevant is what J Wilhaus has written above, which may be vaguely what your family and friends are worried about. I doubt that any statistics will reassure them, except 1 anecdote which I'll cite below.

If you walk either the Portuguese or the Frances, at this time of year, there will be opportunities to walk with others, if you both agree. You will be only as alone as you choose to be.

And the anecdote? I've walked alone, on a more physically demanding route than what you're contemplating. Many women here have walked alone on different routes; others walk together, or meet up, or walk with a partner.

Less than 0.1% of us have had * any* incident. Ever. I certainly haven't. Neither did the lady from Taiwan that I occasionally met. Or the 2 Portuguese physical therapists. Or the Danish hiker...I think you get the idea.

You *might* want to ask them what they're *really* worried about. This sounds like a cover story to me. What's *really * bothering them?

Perhaps you could show your family some articles showing that Spain has a lower crime rate than the UK?

Spain maintains a low crime rate compared to its European counterparts with 48.8 known criminal acts per thousand inhabitants. In the United Kingdom the crime rate reaches 79.5 per thousand, 74.8 in Belgium, 60.7 in Germany and 53.9 in Denmark.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walk alone almost every year.
I'm 71, soon to be 72 and female.
Like several other pilgrims have said, you will rarely, if ever, be alone if you are walking the CF.
There will be lines of pilgrims in front of you and behind you.
If they're especially worried, you can find a female companion to at least start with on the Facebook group called Camigas. Maybe this would qualm their fears.

As a 70 year old lone female pilgrim (3 Caminos ) I agree with everything that has been said above. #15 post by Brooklinn is so good read it again and again.
The only thing I will add is you will be walking through safe areas and you will be so safe, just don't forget to switch on your awareness when you come into large towns and cities. The most unsafe place you will be is at the airport back in the UK
My family worry about me when I am walking but know better than to try and stop me.
Enjoy your Camino

I feel more "safe" walking on the camino then I do walking in my home town. I'm sorry that your family is not supportive but you are an adult and can make your own decisions.

The Camino Frances felt very safe to me but still one must always stay aware of their surroundings and keep close track of important belongings.

Go! I doubt you will have any regrets and I am willing to bet you will have many lovely memories.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm in a similar situation to you - solo woman starting at SJPDP on 25 April. I've had the usual questions - who are you going with? Is it safe, being made to feel like I have to justify my decision. I've done a lot of research and feel I will be safe. I guess we have to remember that there are also risks at home as well - and just staying at home and not experiencing the world is in itself a great disadvantage. Hope to see you out there. Buen Camino!

Thanks in advance!
The Camino is probably at least as safe if not safer than where you are now.

@shortwander, firstly, welcome to the forum!

I think it’s good that your family and friends are cautious, it shows they care. But they’re needlessly concerned.

Being male, my viewpoint is of course not the same as yours. But nearly half the people I met last year on my two Caminos were single females. Of varying ages,and ethnicities.

As mentioned above, statistically Spain has a significantly lower crime rate than England. And overall the Spaniards are very protective of pilgrims. Including having the apparently excellent alertcops App - a couple of reports on the forum last year attesting to their excellent service.

They have English speaking operators, and for not just crime, accidents/ medical emergencies too I believe.

Spain also has an extremely good health system - sadly, better than the DHS.

Yes, as always when travelling you need to be cautious - never leaving your valuables unattended for example. And pickpockets and other such lowlifes exist in most major cities of the world. Including at home.

Go, enjoy!

You’ll meet wonderful people from all over the world.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All of my trips have been as a solo female traveler, but I have met some very nice ladies of all ages to walk with on various sections. The more you travel, the more comfortable you will be. My husband is very supportive of my Camino walking trips.
My partner is too, he is the one who is pushing me for me to go!

I'm in a similar situation to you - solo woman starting at SJPDP on 25 April. I've had the usual questions - who are you going with? Is it safe, being made to feel like I have to justify my decision. I've done a lot of research and feel I will be safe. I guess we have to remember that there are also risks at home as well - and just staying at home and not experiencing the world is in itself a great disadvantage. Hope to see you out there. Buen Camino!
Ah amazing!! Safe travels and hope to run into you :)

Thank you SO much everyone for your wonderful responses. I've really reflected on the mixed responses I have had and found that it comes from peoples own fears. It is fantastic that they are so concerned about me, but the majority is because they've never done anything with their lives. The people who have reacted and said it's great are people who have either done something similar or would love to do it, but don't have the courage

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are reports on some Caminos of female walkers being exposed to flashers and occasionally harrassed. You can read about these in the section of the forum for safety and security. These incidents, while few, can really shake a person up. Of course take that into account and how you think it could impact you. About nine years ago now, a women was killed on the Camino Frances and the man is now imprisoned. There have been no other reports like that.

These are not to scare you, but to make you aware. I would not feel afraid to walk alone and I know all these reports already but if after reading them the French and Portuguese routes are the most heavily traveled so you could likely find someone to walk with for a few days until you regain your desire to walk alone.

Be well and stay safe.
Thank you, I have read up on these and am aware of what can happen. Although it would be a horrible situation, it doesn't put me, I just pray that this won't happen to me (obviously). I think it's better to know all the facts going in

Thanks in advance!
Am on Camino Frances now. There are very many solo female peregrines. You will meet others and probably find someone to walk with.

Am on Camino Frances now. There are very many solo female peregrines. You will meet others and probably find someone to walk with.
Hi! I walked the Camino Frances for 38 days last September and I was so happy I was solo. I met so many other wonderful friends that were also walking solo. You will do great! I cannot speak to the camino Portuguese as I have not walked it but am thinkinking I would like to try it! PS I am 63 years old!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have walked both the Frances and Portuguese as a solo female. I have never felt unsafe. I do keep a whistle in the hip pocket of my backpack so I can easily access it if needed. I had only one uncomfortable incident on the Frances. I was approaching an albergue that had a lawn in front with a path walking up. It looked like a great place, people were relaxing on the lawn drinking wine. There was a pilgrim sitting in a chair near the door and as I walked up the path, he was staring at me and rubbing himself. I walked in the albergue, looked around and saw a back door to exit from. And the just went over to the next Albergue in town where I was the only oikgeum beside another woman.

You will be fine. Please reassure your family. Maybe agree to text them at the end of each day to let them know what town you are in. I did this with my mom and she followed me in the guide book I left with her. The next year she ended up doing the Camino herself!

Thanks in advance!
I will also be doing my 1st solo camino as a female starting 1st May !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back