• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo Camino May 2018--Not really alone

easygoing

Camino Sharon
Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked the Camino Francis 7 times, twice in 2017 and 2018. (2019)
Life is a journey, not a destination. And the best journey ever is walking along the Camino with so many special people. During my 5 Caminos I have walked at times with my granddaughter, a friend, my husband and my daughter. On my last walk my daughter told me “let’s do what you want”, but I had no idea what that meant. After much thought I realized my happiness fluctuated with the reactions of other people.

I leave May 8th from Seattle to walk alone to not only discover what I like and want but to replace the hurts from my lonely abused childhood with new memories. I am afraid, but not of getting lost or harm. As I prepare for my journey I have flashbacks of being friendless and unwanted but in my heart I know that the Camino provides everything you need including friends that understand these feelings.

And this May I'll not really be alone I will be walking with my 15 year old self. It was at that age I lost my identity so I am bringing a picture of teenage Sharon (me) and showing her the best time ever. This time she will meet people with a support of a very loving friend. My life search has been looking for approval yet I have finally learned that if I don't like myself, it doesn't matter how many other people like me. My friends at home have received a card with my teenage picture and I will bring them on the Camino to make as many friends as are willing. Look for me May 13 in Pamplona—I wear a sunflower on my cap and carry one outside my pack. Please follow me on my journey and be my friend.

Attachments

• 15sharon.jpg
    15sharon.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 10
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Life is a journey, not a destination. And the best journey ever is walking along the Camino with so many special people. During my 5 Caminos I have walked at times with my granddaughter, a friend, my husband and my daughter. On my last walk my daughter told me “let’s do what you want”, but I had no idea what that meant. After much thought I realized my happiness fluctuated with the reactions of other people.

I leave May 8th from Seattle to walk alone to not only discover what I like and want but to replace the hurts from my lonely abused childhood with new memories. I am afraid, but not of getting lost or harm. As I prepare for my journey I have flashbacks of being friendless and unwanted but in my heart I know that the Camino provides everything you need including friends that understand these feelings.

And this May I'll not really be alone I will be walking with my 15 year old self. It was at that age I lost my identity so I am bringing a picture of teenage Sharon (me) and showing her the best time ever. This time she will meet people with a support of a very loving friend. My life search has been looking for approval yet I have finally learned that if I don't like myself, it doesn't matter how many other people like me. My friends at home have received a card with my teenage picture and I will bring them on the Camino to make as many friends as are willing. Look for me May 13 in Pamplona—I wear a sunflower on my cap and carry one outside my pack. Please follow me on my journey and be my friend.

Buen Camino 15 year old Sharon. It took courage to post your feelings on the public Camino forum. Great job. But, I know that you have been checking your post many times a day and no one has wished you a buen Camino or said they hope to see you. And now you feel discouraged, hurt and ashamed that encouragement means so much to you. Well Sharon, don't be ashamed. Of course you want to be accepted but you are looking for acceptance in the wrong place. First you must accept yourself. Isn't this the reason you are walking the Camino?
Of course, you worry that you are still too shy, sensitive and clueless abut social skills to replace memories of rejection with new experiences of the acceptance. However, know that this journey will be different because this time you are solo, but not alone. A creative, confident, strong and smart best friend will be walking with you. People are attracted to her and want to know her. 72 year old Sharon is a force to be reckoned with, as so are you. And know 15 year old Sharon, except for a few young children and an occasional Yorkie, you will be the most adorable pilgrim on the 2018 best Camino ever.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks I appreciate the all caps and exclamation points. It made me feel like I have a cheering section.

I will follow your progress if you share it here! Start my own Camino May 18, doing the Portuguese route. We can cheer each other on in spirit after I head out.

I will follow your progress if you share it here! Start my own Camino May 18, doing the Portuguese route. We can cheer each other on in spirit after I head out.
Hi Anna, I am spending some time on the Camino Baztan with my Spanish friend Carmen (from Pamplona) and then will walk to Santiago from Pamplona staring May 14. Maybe we will meet in Santiago.
Yes, I plan to post about my journey. Not sure yet how to do that yet. I usually just answer questions. As for cheering ourselves on in spirit, yes that will be helpful.
BUEN CAMINO!!!!!!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I am leaving from Seattle on 8 May as well. I will watch for you. And will also be starting from Pamplona on 12 May

May you find inner peace and love for yourself on this journey! Bom Caminho! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am leaving from Seattle on 8 May as well. I will watch for you. And will also be starting from Pamplona on 12 May
Hi Nancy. I will watch for you too. I leave on the 0954 flight and change planes in DFW. I leave from Pamplona a day later than you do but we probably will meet up on the way because I have planned a few longer days. Buen Camino

I am on the nonstop to Paris at 1310 and then on to Madrid and take the train to Pamplona the next day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

You will find yourself and LOTD of new friends on your camino. Good luck and enjoy yourself. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back