• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo Female Porto Coastal

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Hi, I’ve searched but perhaps not enough to find peace of mind for what looks like an upcoming Camino in September 2022. I’ve ordered the guidebook and blocked vacation dates from work so plans are brewing.

Since I wasn’t able to finish del Norte I’d figure I’d walk along the coastal in Portugal from Porto as far as I possibly can before turning inland.
I’m walking alone and even though I’ve walked all my Camino’s solo I’m a little hesitant with this one due to recent reports of assault on the Portuguese Way.

What I’m searching for is…
Is it safe for solo woman?
Is there a huge language barrier for English speakers?
Is there a lot of road walking?
Is there another Camino path to compare it to?
Are the stages long?
Plenty of municipal alburgues?
Plenty of cafés, bars along the way?
Weather in September, windy?

I want to take my time and possibly not walk long days, I’d like to explore towns more than I have in the past, any suggestions welcomed.

This is most likely my last pilgrimage. It will complete the cycle of every three years and all in my 50th decade. Not planned that way just seems to be when the calling is the loudest. ☺️

Thank you in advance for your guidance and God Bless.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I’ve searched but perhaps not enough to find peace of mind for what looks like an upcoming Camino in September 2022. I’ve ordered the guidebook and blocked vacation dates from work so plans are brewing.

Since I wasn’t able to finish del Norte I’d figure I’d walk along the coastal in Portugal from Porto as far as I possibly can before turning inland.
I’m walking alone and even though I’ve walked all my Camino’s solo I’m a little hesitant with this one due to recent reports of assault on the Portuguese Way.

Are the stages long?
Plenty of municipal albergues?

I want to take my time and possibly not walk long days, I’d like to explore towns more than I have in the past, any suggestions welcomed.

This is most likely my last pilgrimage. It will complete the cycle of every three years and all in my 50th decade. Not planned that way just seems to be when the calling is the loudest. ☺️

My experience in 2018, walking Lisbon to Porto, and then the Senda Litoral as far as I could, and then on to Santiago:

1. Not being a solo woman, i cannot really comment, but I did not see/hear of any issues regarding safety for women... That said, there have been a couple of mentions on this forum of a flasher along the Camino Potuguse, but I cannot recall where...
  2. No - sometimes helps to be able to say "I cannot speak Portuguese, may be speak English" in Portuguese (google translation can help you there). I as told that most modern Portuguese people are taught English as a second language
  3. There is considerable road waking - "a lot" is highly subjective... I found it uncomfortable as there were many towns where the camino wound its way through industrial estates, and have to walk beside a road, with a narrow shoulder and with large trucks using the road. I survived, and I wouldn't let it stop me doing it again if I had the opportunity.
  4. Having walked only the Camino Frances, I cannot really compare, but I found them very different in terms of the landscape and the social setting.
  5. As long as you make them... That said, Brierly did highlight one or two sections where there were few services in fairly long stretches, and suggest some planning was warranted. I didn't find them particularly demanding.
  6. Fewer than to be found on CF, and with the help of Brierly and booking.com, I never failed to find suitable accommodation.
  7. Sufficient. But always carry a water bottle, and plan your day's walk.
  8. Now and then, but I didn't find it uncomfortable.
Camino Portuguese was different to Camino Frances but nonetheless enjoyable.

Last edited:

I walked the Portugues (Lisbon to SdC including the coastal route from Porto) as a solo female in your age bracket.
I had not even the slightest hint of any safety issues. In fact I found people (locals & visitors/walkers alike) tend to look out for your wellbeing.
There was only one incident I felt a tad uncomfortable with my situation; I was walking along a dirt road through a pine plantation (don't ask me where 🤷‍♀️). A car approached from behind & slowed down. I got well off the road so as not to be 'reachable'. Turns out the two male occupants reduced their speed so they didn't cover me in dust & dirt when they passed! Big smiles & cheery waves from both of them & a relieved, thankful smile & wave from me.
All you can do is take the standard precautions, hope for the best but not allow fear to stop you. Sounds like you have many trouble-free kilometres under your belt (as indeed do I) so no reason to expect this to be any different.
I'll leave others to answer the specifics of your list of queries but remember the vast majority of us solo female walkers encounter no problems.
Best wishes!
👣 🌏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did The CP from Lisbon solo in 3 parts, with the coastal part I did in January. I felt generally safe. A few Portuguese phrases were sufficient to get by, as many spoke some English. Even in January when some businesses close I always had somewhere to stay and enough bars (though sometimes you do have to go off route to find them), but September is just out of mad summer season so most places will be open.

Good Morning
I too, cannot speak to safety for a women. However, I did not see any problems. We were four granddads walking and when on the CF, a couple of times we were approached to be safe havens when a creep was around. that did not happen on the CP. We found everyone extremely friendly in Portugal, even to the extend we were invited to a bar, fed, watered:) and then had a local pay our tab.

Language was never a problem

We walked the first day on the coast, which was beautiful and I recommend it. We then crossed over to the central route. The next two days were very difficult as the walking was mainly on cobbled roads. My calves suffered for it. There were roads, but all I remember is the quiet stretches. It is a popular route for cyclists and you will encounter them a lot.

We did not find the stages too long.

We did not stay in albergues. We found we enjoyed the Casa's. It was different than most of the accommodations we stayed at on the CF. A little more expensive, but very friendly. And there were plenty of hotels. Even the Parador was more reasonably priced as compared to Leon and Santiago.

We were never without food. Only one day was the cafe we were headed toward closed for the season. that is the day we were picked up by a local and fed. Otherwise, we were never without food and coffee. One thing to be careful of is the portions. We found that many nights we could order one meal for two of us.

We lucked out on the weather front. We too walked in Sept and Oct. Only got rain, and a light rain at that, two or three days. Never had to walk wet. and we were never cold.

Buen Camino I think you are going to love the walk

Bob

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Camino Portuguese as a solo woman, age 63 in 2019 in May. I had minimal hiking experience, though I walked a lot for training before I left. I do not speak Portuguese except for a few common polite phrases, and found that the people I met were helpful, friendly, and many spoke English.

Being a single senior I was alert while walking (as I mostly walked alone) and planned my stops and did not walk in the dark. I did not have any untoward encounters with either locals or anyone else on the route. My most comfortable pace was 10-12 miles a day so I planned my stages for that length and took a few rest days to really enjoy the town I was in. I mostly stayed in hotels or pensions as I snore and did not have a travel CPAP at that time. Many of the hotels had a large bathtub that was heaven to soak in after a days walk.

I walked from Porto along the Coastal route then moved inland up the central route. There is a moderate amount of road walking but it is broken up with dirt trails or on the costal trail there is a bit of walking on wooden boardwalk. I really recommend the boat ride up the estuary to Padron, and an extra day in Padron was wonderful.
Blessings to you on your journey...

Are the stages long?
Plenty of municipal albergues?

I'm also going solo in September!!! I've also bought the guidebooks and done some research online. I'm a 34 yr old woman and going to do this trip for my 35th birthday. I hope to cross paths. That'll be fun. :)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...
Day 3 was another wonderful day spent along the coast. I planned a short day so I could meander and explore Vila do Conde which did not disappoint! The day included walking on boardwalks and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back