• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo older woman?

Peggy and David

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis Fall 2018
I am a woman in my mid 70s and my husband and I were planning our first Camino (Francais) this fall. He has suffered an injury and cannot now do this. My question is any thoughts on doing a shorter, partial walk solo?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you have the slightest concern about your personal safety, then I would suggest you stick with the Camino Francais, as it's the most populated, and there will almost always be other pilgrims in front of you, and behind you.
So sorry to hear your husband can't join you.
I'm in the middle of planning the camino Portuguese for next April/May [when I'll be 80].
Good luck, Peggy! And buen camino!

any thoughts on doing a shorter, partial walk solo?
Yes! Absolutely! Do it while you can. There are many, many (if not most, in fact) pilgrims who start off walking solo. You will soon make friends with others who are walking at your pace and share your interests. And there are many shorter segments, say from Leon to Santiago, or from Le Puy to Conques.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm guessing, by your use of "fall" that you'll be crossing the Atlantic to get to Spain?
How much time will you have for walking? You could do one of the shorter Caminos (Portuguese, Ingles) or just a section of the Frances. But I wouldn't worry about being alone - there are times when I've walked solo when I'd have loved to have had some solitude! I usually say that I need to say a prayer at whatever church we're at and tell people I'll catch them up. The higher authorities have never rebuked me on this.

Hope your husband gets well some - take lots of photos to make him jealous!

I concur with the above suggestion to stick to the Camino Frances. Further, for a 10-12 day Camino, consider starting at Leon. It has good bus and rail connections to Madrid. PLUS, you can always find a "Camino Family." If that is too ambitious, consider Astorga, a beautiful small city with good bus connections.

Basically, when starting out from your lodging each morning, find some "kids your own age," greet them. Once your gut (woman's intuition) tells you they are sane and decent folks, headed in the same direction as you, politely ask if you can 'tag along' with them. Voila! You will have a safe and enjoyable walk. You will make new friends, and you will enjoy your walk.

BTW, mid-70s is not "old." Having recently hit 65, I am of the opinion that 80 is the new 60, 70 the new 50, and 60 the new 40. So, in that context, I regard myself as just entering middle-age. My body parts do not all agree, but on balance, we (our parts) are vertical, flexible, and able to walk. Bring it on.

One recommendation I do make is to have a general physical before you leave. Tell your doctor what you plan to do. The most strenuous activity you will undertake is climbing a steep hill on an uneven, natural surface, trail. You WILL find your new maximum heart rate. Just make sure there are no lurking and unknown cardiac issues that will cause problems.

Once this is done, enjoy the Camino. Welcome to our magnificent obsession.

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked both the Camino Francés (2 years ago) and Camino Portugués (last september/october) and I am over 70. The CP also has a lot of people and would be fine for an older solo woman. I thought the CP was easier, but either way you would not be alone and I hope you go. I speak Spanish but not Portuguese and it wasn't a problem on the CP.

I'd like to join in these comments. I walked this April the Camino Francis, alone, and I'm 71. I loved it. Just as stated above, there are times to be alone and times to be with others. I never felt threatened. Totally agree with comments about a physical. My husband's cardiologist couldn't understand why anyone "our age" would walk 500 miles, so she gave me the total once over and of course, I max'd all the tests. Be mindful of the rocky downhills is all I have to share (grrrr my knees really gave me fits) Enjoy your camino wherever you start. I'm happy for you!!!!

I am a woman in my mid 70s and my husband and I were planning our first Camino (Francais) this fall. He has suffered an injury and cannot now do this. My question is any thoughts on doing a shorter, partial walk solo?
Walk solo, you will never regret it. I did and made amazing friends.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the Francis last fall alone @ 72 with a torn meniscus supported by a brace and using hiking poles. I used transport for my pack to insure no further injury to my knee. I had a wonderful time, made great friendships, walked both with others and alone, had my quiet peaceful moments alone, having group meals together and adapted to sleeping in a bunk room. I wouldn’t trade my solo journey for anything.

Last edited:
@Peggy and David , kia ora (I wish you both well)

Not proper for me to advise about walking alone.

As to age: I am currently 76 and you can see my credentials below.

If you do decide to have a go I strongly suggest:
1) do the physical suggested several times above

2) get lightweight gear, for example
........40 litre pack @ 600 grams
........5 degree sleeping bag @ 400 grams
........(these two items weighing just over 2 lb together)
........Minimise (keep it simple) everything else
........for example two changes plus what you wear
........Wear your (best) walking stuff if going to church
........which is what religious sisters I know tell me they do
........Good running shoes (not boots) and flip flops for evening
........Many wear a light inner sock and thicker outer sock
........(and I also wear pressure hose)
........(also see @davebugg on feet and footwear)
........Phone (I have a tablet) with a European data plan
........Use Whatsapp (or similar) for phone calls, texts and sending photos
........Keep it simple (know where everything is)

Spain is civilised: on the Camino Frances there are larger towns and cities every few days where you can get a need you may not have brought with you.

3) training (with all your gear) that works towards, say:
........15 km (10 miles) before stopping for breakfast
........400 m of elevation gain before stopping for breakfast
........include some steep decents in your training

The purpose is to train mind and body to cope with the variety of conditions as well as becoming appropriately fit.

If these suggestions seem extreme they are what you will encounter several times during four or more weeks and you will be able to fly through them. Maybe breakfast will be a bit earlier in reality. But do read what @peregrina2000 has to say about early starts.

4) trial equipment and new processes at home, where you can make corections before you leave.

As for guides and manuals. Do read well. Brierley may appeal to you for eample. I found the Michelin guide 160 Camino de Santiago was my go to during the day. It is quite light and on facing pages are:
a) elevation profile with town and villages and a selection of albergue details
b) michelin topographical map with the trail clearly marked

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back