• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish beaches

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Hi...asking for a friend!
They are wanting to walk the camino and then spend a week at a beach.
Requirements for the beach are that there is sand (not pebbles), shade (preferably umbrellas and deckchairs), safety (no pickpockets like in Barcelona), warm water (it will be June, but that rules out all the west coast doesn't it?), amenities nearby, accommodation doesn't need to be fancy and would preferably be not too pricey, easily accessed by public transport, and if possible, some cute character. Oh, and they are likely to be heading to Germany to visit friends afterwards and then on to Paris for their return flight to NZ.

I'm not a beach girl and have not done this kind of research, but I'm sure someone here will have some ideas. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Requirements for the beach are that there is sand (not pebbles), shade (preferably umbrellas and deckchairs), safety (no pickpockets like in Barcelona), warm water (it will be June, but that rules out all the west coast doesn't it?), amenities nearby, accommodation doesn't need to be fancy and would preferably be not too pricey, easily accessed by public transport, and if possible, some cute character. Oh, and they are likely to be heading to Germany to visit friends afterwards and then on to Paris for their return flight to NZ.

I'm not a beach girl and have not done this kind of research, but I'm sure someone here will have some ideas. Thank you.
I was in Finisterre in late June/early July, and can vouch that the big beach (not the rocky coves nearer the centre) is sandy (no pebbles at all), and the water was really beautiful. Not too cold, but just the right amount of refreshingness for a hot day. Close to Santiago, to get back for the flight out.
The town is a bit touristy, but lots of character, and well priced and accessible by bus or taxi. There were umbrellas at the far end of the beach with the outdoor cafe.20170619_173134.jpg20170619_184445.jpg20170619_173130.jpg

Last edited:

I have spent time at two different beaches after two of my Camino pilgrimages and thoroughly enjoyed both places - Cadiz and Valencia. My pick would be Cadiz - high speed morning train from Santiago to Madrid, lunch in Madrid and second high speed train to Cadiz in the afternoon, arriving around 4-5 pm. Similar easy trip to Valencia is maybe a bit quicker. Cadiz architecture and history amazing and beautiful, well located old town with smaller beach plus miles of long sandy beach adjacent to newer part of Cadiz. Beach bars with hire of deck chairs and umbrellas. Everything in walking distance.
Valencia city and beaches further apart - I took the bus - perhaps more of a big city feel and more bustle than Cadiz which is ideal for strolling around and relaxing and has more of a holiday vibe.
Each has a huge variety of accommodation at various price points. I was in each in June just before school holidays began and had lots of choice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Our personal favourite is Gijon for it's beautiful sweeping beach and everything it offers but as for water temperature I found all of Spain cold and the Mediterranean was the coldest of all funnily enough.

I was in Finisterre in late June/early July, and can vouch that the big beach (not the rocky coves nearer the centre) is sandy (no pebbles at all), and the water was really beautiful. Not too cold, but just the right amount of refreshingness for a hot day. Close to Santiago, to get back for the flight out.
The town is a bit touristy, but lots of character, and well priced and accessible by bus or taxi. There were umbrellas at the far end of the beach with the outdoor cafe.View attachment 156870View attachment 156871View attachment 156869
Something funny I'd forgotten when we visited Finisterre again in a different season. My husband and grandson had been playing ball on the beach, and were thirsty.
There's a nice restaurant at the town end of the beach that was practically empty, and we thought we'd buy a drink.
We got chased out by the horrified waiter because our grandson came in barefooted, having left his flipflops somewhere on the beach. All felt like naughty children.
Maybe not so hospitable.

Finisterre, San Sebastián, St Luz (France), Biarritz (France) - all lovely beaches and in the northern Spain/southern France region. If they are headed to Germany, I’d avoid heading further south

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A Coruña has some really nice beaches with umbrellas and beach chairs to rent. Plus other things to do, like the Tower of Hercules lighthouse and the long Paseo Maritimo for walking. Also several streets loaded with tapas bars. It would be my choice if they wanted someplace in the north.

Last edited:

We have just finished the Camino del Norte and Camino del Mar - too many wonderful beaches to count and you can access many of them by bus (Arriva and Alsa) and the wonderful little 2 carriage FEVE trains run from Ferrol to San Sebastián! (Slow travel at its best often just a morning and afternoon train) Tell them to have a Google and look at the satellite view for beaches - mainly soft white sand, lots of surf in the north if you want but many quiet coves too, especially further west.

... (no pickpockets like in Barcelona)...

Sorry, that place does not exist! Pickpockets specifically target persons that are too lazy to protect their valuables.

-Paul

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Really recommend Cádiz and the long Sandy beaches along the south coast there. They are beautiful, warm water and low rise, not touristy!

The beaches are fabulous and unending, but It’s a log way from SdC to Cádiz to Germany. I’d rather spend those two travel days AT the beach rather than on a bus or train.

We got chased out by the horrified waiter because our grandson came in barefooted
Oh so Kiwi 🥝 I love it!
A Coruña has some really nice beaches
Along with a recently planted row of Pohutukawa trees along the beach front and the grand old (200 years old) Pohutukawa off Tui Street 🌳

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Rachael
I remember on a misty August morning walking along the coast from Ribadasella and arriving at La Isla about mid-day. The sun had come out by then and it felt so good I decided to stop there. And I thought - this is special, I'd like to come back and spend more time here.
The beach isn't huge but it's in a lovely cove, with the little island of El Penon just off the shore. The cove provides shelter from the full sea, so it was very pleasant for a relaxing swim. The coast there is a mix of rocky outcrops, grassy knolls and small beaches. The shops of the village are little way off the beach, so it feels unspoilt. There were just a few people on the beach when I was there. The sea was warm then, but this link suggests average temp around the middle of June would be lower, at 18C on the north coast - which is probably fine on a hot day?
But as you can see from the beach searcher website, La Isla is only rated 19th out of 97 beaches in Asturias, so you are spoilt for choice

Sorry, that place does not exist! Pickpockets specifically target persons that are too lazy to protect their valuables.

-Paul
Unfortunately there are opportunists everywhere. My husband was a bit too relaxed in Muxia, and a pickpocket eyed him up to take his phone from his backpocket. It was only my catching his eye, and wisking the phone out myself that he didnt succeed.

I’d vote for San Sebastián- the whole northern coast of Spain has many beautiful beaches. I was fond of Castro Urdiales in Cantabria. Consider Camino del Norte if you enjoy the coast- it is breathtaking!

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpeg
    IMG_1335.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6149.jpeg
    IMG_6149.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1867.jpeg
    IMG_1867.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Finisterre, San Sebastián, St Luz (France), Biarritz (France) - all lovely beaches and in the northern Spain/southern France region. If they are headed to Germany, I’d avoid heading further south
Agree with your logic! The reason I chose Cadiz after a cold and sodden Camino in May 2018 (9 cold wet days in a row in Galicia) was the desire for sun and warmth. Mr Google told me Cadiz was the warmest beachside place in Spain in June that year. It was lovely and warm but certainly not hot - mid twenties C.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The town is a bit touristy, but lots of character, and well priced and accessible by bus or taxi. There were umbrellas at the far end of the beach with the outdoor cafe.View attachment 156870View attachment 156871View attachment 156869
This is a spot on recommdation - totally agree Anamiri!

I walked the Camino Del Norte in May/June 2019 and had the best ever swim and then beer at this beach and bar.

Wonderful - thanks for the pics - I am right back there now!

Steve

A Coruña has some really nice beaches with umbrellas and beach chairs to rent. Plus other things to do, like the Tower of Hercules lighthouse and the long Paseo Maritimo for walking. Also several streets loaded with tapas bars. It would be my choice if they wanted someplace in the north.
I second the A Coruña recommendation! It's a very interesting and relatively quiet corner of Spain, not a far drive from Santiago de Compostella, and the breezes can be quite cool even in hot weather. Relatives who live in A Coruña gave me the grand tour of beaches when I first visited and that's where I first encountered the, uh, more fully exposed approach to sunbathing enjoyed by many well-tanned Spaniards. Santa Christina is nice and with a little research you can find a few more secluded beaches that may be even more to your liking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Tell them to try the Portugal Coastal Route, there are beaches all along The Way. they can take their time and build in rest days to enjoy the beaches.

But as you can see from the beach searcher website, La Isla is only rated 19th out of 97 beaches in Asturias, so you are spoilt for choice
True. There are a lot of beaches that are much more beautiful than La Isla :)

But... June in Asturias? Expect cold sea water (probably more like 15 degrees) and be prepared for rainy and chilly weather. It can be sunny and warm of course, but there is no guarantee at all.

True. There are a lot of beaches that are much more beautiful than La Isla :)

But... June in Asturias? Expect cold sea water (probably more like 15 degrees) and be prepared for rainy and chilly weather. It can be sunny and warm of course, but there is no guarantee at all.
I agree about the sea temperature, but I would generally expect good weather in June.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I spent a few days in Tossa de Mar, Spain in the month of October. It is a gorgeous beach town with ramparts and coves to explore. The huge sandy beach was nearly vacant, but in June would be awesome (as this google photo shows). It is a pleasant 1+ hour bus ride from Barcelona.
Screenshot_20231203-101641~2.png

... but I'm sure someone here will have some ideas. Thank you.
I've only driven by them, but I'll third or fourth the recommendations
for the beaches up by A Coruna. But It might not be hot enough for a proper beach swimming holiday. When I was in the area around June 2022 it was lovely cool summer weather. They were having a heat wave inland, but on the coast, it's probably not a day I would've chosen to go swimming. But a wonderful area so close to Santiago.

Here is a blurb from the Gaurdian :

"Rías Altas, Lugo province, Galicia

Those who like proper beaches – the sort of long stretches of golden sand backed by cliffs and fields that you find in Devon, Cornwall and the Gower peninsula – will feel right at home in the Rías Altas. This is the north coast of Galicia, between the town of Ribadeo on the border with Asturias and Cape Ortegal, a distance of about 75 miles. It seems longer, though, because of the estuaries that form a crinkly seaboard along the Bay of Biscay. Shallower than the more fjord-like inlets of the Rías Baixas in the south-west of Galicia, the Rías Altas shelter a string of seaside towns that morph into makeshift resorts in summer.

While having a car or campervan allows the freedom to explore, a lot of the area can be seen by hopping on and off the little trains on the Feve narrow-gauge railway that run along Spain’s north coast. There are about 30 stations on the Rías Altas section and it would take two hours to travel the length of it in one go, but it would be easy to dawdle away a few weeks getting off wherever takes your fancy – the views from the train are often spectacular. A month’s pass costs €88.90 for unlimited travel (bikes can be taken on board for free, too)."

more here:
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...to-do-off-the-beaten-track?CMP=share_btn_link

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back