• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish SIM card for the Norte/Primitivo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramble-on

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2010; LePuy 2011; VdlP 2013/14; CdN (to Oviedo) & Primitivo 2016
Hola,

I'll be walking the Norte/Primitivo/Finisterre in June/July this year. I'd like to get a SIM card for my Samsung S6 (which is unlocked, or rather will be as soon as I have a nano-SIM card to trigger the unlock code, if that makes any sense!). What I'd like is something that is a) prepaid, b) has a small amount of data, say 1Gb or less, c) is from a company that has good signal coverage on the caminos I'm walking, d) isn't outrageously expensive, e) has a reasonable deal on international calls to Canada, and f) is available from a location in either Irún or San Sebastián (I'd like to be "on-line" from the beginning of my camino).

My question basically is which mobile provider best meets these criteria? I'd appreciate any/all suggestions, 'cause I've no idea what would be best.

Dick

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Go to the fisrt Corte Ingles shop you find and get a Vodafone or Orange card. I had probles with usage despite keeping my phone on Flight mode unless there was wifi so not looking forward to going that route onc again. But someone mentioned ordering their sim card and having it shipped home pre departure. A bit a searching in the archives may find you more info in this. Good luck.

b) has a small amount of data, say 1Gb or less,

Indeed, 1gb is a small amount of data nowadays :) for all my Spanish adventures I have used Vodafone prepaid. You can buy it in Spain, or in advance from some online dealers, just google for it. But keep in mind, that whatever plan you will sign for, it will expire on last day of the month. So if you activate the SIM card in June, on the 1st of July if will not work anymore, regardless how much credit is left. Then you need to find a Vodafone shop again in order to top it up for the current month.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On the Norte last year I used Orange prepaid, purchased from El Cortes Ingles in Madrid, near Sol. Easy to recharge at numerous stores, supermarkets, tobacs etc. But same deal, ie don't buy excess data that will expire after a month. It helps to have a bilingual local explain it, and the texts that keep arriving.

I have always been told by my Spanish friends that Movistar (the next iteration of the old government provider, Telefonica) has the best nationwide coverage, but I have no way to confirm or deny that. I always just buy a SIM card for my ancient Spanish cell phone and have found that 30 euros is more than enough to get me through a 5-6 week camino, but then I use the phone only for calls within Spain.

I have used Yoigo and recently Orange. You can get them anywhere, not just Corte Ingles.

I have mainly gotten mine at the train station (Madrid, Barcelona) or mobile shop at the supermarket or any shopping street. Remember to bring your passport for registration.

The best deal are those 20-25 euro SIM that comes with 2GB data plus 10-15 euro voice credit. If you need more than 2GB (as I have) you can even buy more (like 500MB data using your voice credit if you still have enough left over).

Top up anywhere you see a mobile shop as you walk the Camino. I never really have to since I don't use the voice much, mainly to call a local number to get the key to the albergue (less trodden Camino Levante). Internet access for Whatsapp (text and images), blogging and very importantly find out exactly where you if you are lost or plan to make a detour. You save even more data if you can load Maps.me app that support offline map.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always had good service and value from Yoigo I that's what is called

Zzotte

Orange/Movistar has the best coverage. Turn off data so that you are not using it on the phone plan unless manually turned back on. We use wi-fi mostly but can turn on the phones data if really needed. The settings are different on each phone I think so it just involves getting to know your way around your own phone, more than the airplane mode and 'data-on/off'.

Yes, Orange is available everywhere - I mentioned El Cortes Ingles because they had an English speaking assistant who was very helpful setting it up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But someone mentioned ordering their sim card and having it shipped home pre departure. A bit a searching in the archives may find you more info in this. Good luck.
Try www.simsforspain.com. I purchased an Orange Mundo card from them and had very good coverage all along the Camino Francés. I can't say about coverage on the Norte, but I assume that it would be similar. They also sell cards for Movil and Vodaphone. Allow time to get the card registered before you leave for Spain so it will be working immediately when you hit the ground.

Thank you so much @jmcarp for the info. I was telling a Camino shop owner today selling these would be a great service. Do you know, with your card, what it would take not to have to reorder a new one each time?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think you have to keep it active by making a call now and then. I don't remember if that card had a US or Canadian partner; if not, making a call in North America could be problematic. Call their customer support number (they're located in the Boston area) and ask them.

We were told that sending a text every 2 months will keep our card active (Orange UK) so I think it would work the same for others. Text is better than making a call according to the shop advice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good information here, thank you all. I found from the Orange and Vodafone sites that each of them has at least one store in Irún. I'll be walking across from the Hendaye train station, and they both seem to be more or less on the way to the albergue. Both companies seem to have good prepaid plans with reasonable call rates to Canada. I have to give Orange the advantage, however, as they have made a lot of the information available in English so it's possible to get an understanding of the fine print. They also have a customer service number with agents speaking English, German and French. And, as people have mentioned, topping up will be easy to do at shops on the way.

Good information here, thank you all. I found from the Orange and Vodafone sites that each of them has at least one store in Irún. I'll be walking across from the Hendaye train station, and they both seem to be more or less on the way to the ....

Since you will be walking from the Hendaye gare to Irun do stop at the small bar/resto Chez Alain on the way at 11 ave d'Espagne.
They are most friendly and do a very good daily menu for 13.50 euros. If you wish you can even take a shower for free! The place is a routiers or truck stop but in no way hyper macho. I loved it last autumn. See more here http://restoroutier.free.fr/fiche_64_hendaye.htm

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

Last edited:
And how can we recharge it from home?
I think that you would need to buy a voucher before leaving Spain and then add it if needed when you are at home. We have taken UK vouchers, for Orange, to Spain and added them when needed and that worked OK. If the phone is for home and the SIM card is just for Spain then take the Spanish SIM card out, just putting in back in the phone when you need to send a text to keep it live. Hope that makes sense :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A voucher? So, I get my sim in Spain, use it there, when I buy it I also ask for a voucher. I get back home and once in a blue moon send a text to an unsuspecting person, or to Ivar o_O. When I run out of money with the leftover I had post Camino I apply this "voucher" and keep saying hello to Ivar every 2 months or so?

Since you will be walking from the Hendaye gare to Irun do stop at the small bar/resto Chez Alain on the way at 11 ave d'Espagne. They are most friendly and do a very good daily menu for 13.50 euros. If you wish you can even take a shower for free! The place is a routiers or truck stop but in no way hyper macho. I loved it last autumn. See more here http://restoroutier.free.fr/fiche_64_hendaye.htm

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

I shall keep my eyes open for it. A nice menu du jour after air "fare" (or is that fair? please pardon the pun) will be restorative to body and spirit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back