• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Special places on the Vdlp

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am going back over my journal, looking at my pictures, doing all those post-Camino things, and I've been remembering some of the little detours or out of the way places that made this Camino so special for me. I thought I'd start a list and maybe others can add on. I will also start a "special albergues" and maybe a "special places to eat" list as time allows.

Merida -- The modern public library (with lots of internet) is elevated one floor above street level, leaving exposed ruins below. Not a "must see" destination, but I was impressed with the way the past and the present sort of blended together there. There was a school group there while I was looking around and I thought that there were some very nice "teachable moments" that the teachers used.

Alcuescar -- I visited the Santa Lucia del Trampal church, it's an easy and very pretty walk (lots of chestnut trees) from the town hall in Alcuescar. I think it's probably 7 km round trip, but if you walk in from Aljucen, you've had a short 21 km day, and adding 7 km without the pack and after showering was not overkill. Here's how I did it. I arrived at the albergue around 12:30, showered, did some internet, grocery shopping, etc. At about 2:30, I think, I walked out -- exactly one car drove by in the 45 minutes it took. I was all alone in the field covered with beautiful flowers and ate my lunch in the shade. The attendant arrived promptly at 4 (check in the Town Hall for opening times because they change for winter and summer) and opened the church and the visitors center -- there's a nice video in Spanish. The walk back was just as nice as the walk out.

Arco de Caparra -- Everyone will walk under the arch, but unless you time your arrival right, you'll miss out on the opportunity to go to the visitors center and to walk around the rest of the city. For me, the best way to do that was to walk from Carcaboso to Caparra, visit the site, and then take the 4-5 km path back to Oliva de Plasencia to spend the night. Then when I ppassed through the arch the next morning, I didn't have to worry about waiting for things to open,etc.

Zamora -- One of the highlights was my trip to San Pedro de la Nave, a visigothic church about 24 km outside Zamora, and on the Camino Portugues branch of the Vdlp, which passes through Braganca. The hospitalero in Zamora drove me out and we visited the church (stunning) and then I walked back. Going "against the arrows" is always a challenge, but I made it fine. If you like old churches, you will probably love this place.

Granja de Moruela -- The ruins of the monastery are outside town. The road sign says 3.7 km, but that's way off. It took me little more than a half hour to walk there. All in ruins, but the apses are something else. There is a lengthy tour in Spanish available (for free), but I didn't stay through the whole thing.

Santa Croya -- A visit to the Santa Marta church across the river (about 15 minutes from Casa Anitta) is well worth it. That's where the oldest known depiction of Santiago Pererino is, and the capitals inside the church are quite beautiful as well.

Lubian -- There's a 19th (?) century "wolf catcher" about a ten or fifteen minute walk (uphill) out of town. You can actually see the structure from the balcony of the Casa Pachaca. Not a "must see" place exactly, but I thought it was very interesting, even though I couldn't exactly figure out how they enticed the wolf to go inside the small door. I have seen similar structures in Portugal, but the method of catching the wolf was quite different there.

Ourense --- one of those little trains goes from the plaza mayor to the public baths. I really wished I had brought a bathing suit, they are beautiful.

Monasterio de Oseira -- again, it's hard to squeeze in a visit unless you spend the night there. I had planned to stay in Cea, but realized that it would be quite a hassle to add a visit the next day as I was walking to Laxe. So I continued from Cea and spent the night in the monastery. The albergue is quite basic (the building reminds me a lot of the albergue in Roncesvalles , same time period, same type of construction). Blankets are provided, hot showers are available, and the guided tour is very interesting.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry the last message may be too long. To end the list, here's my recommendation on Santiago. Both the scaffolding visit to the Portico de la Gloria and the visit to the Cathedral roof (combined with a visit to the romanesque palace next to the cathedral) were wow-sers. Highly recommended.

So there you have it -- these suggestions obviously reflect my own tastes and will not be everyone's cup of tea, but they really made this trip a special one for me.

Buen camino, Laurie

It seems you really did "stop and smell the flowers".
I am jealous for you having the time and interest to seek out such extras.
Wonderful memories.

David, Victoria, Canada

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hi Laurie
! youre a legend
thanks for all your posted stuff
spose once i got past the should i take a tent or not stage, this is the stuff ive been looking for
! salut
? now - you didnt perhaps keep a log of the best espresso joints on the vdlp

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back