• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in May on VDLP

elke888

Time of past OR future Camino
starting 13 May 24
Hi All,
I'm committed to start the VDLP on12th or 13th of May.I will be arriving in Seville on the 10th and taking a couple of days of rest and sight seeing, which I will sorely need after flying direct from New Zealand. I'm a bit worried that I left my starting date a bit late in the year because of the possible heat and that there might not be other pilgrims on the track. Also I heard it talked about that the auberges might close during summer break in Spain. Any insides are appreciated, I'm in my 60s and female traveling on my own.
Cheers Elke

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't have experience walking the VdlP starting in the last half of May, but it can't be much hotter than the late September and early October last year. You should be OK as long as you take plenty of water each day (I carried 2 1/2 liters on really hot days) and are willing to get early starts with a good headlamp. In the heat we faced, we would depart at 5:00 or 5:30 AM and walk 2 to 2 1/2 hours in the dark and try to arrive at our destination by early afternoon to beat the hottest part of the day. It was wonderful walking those cool pre-dawn hours.

Hi All,
I'm committed to start the VDLP on12th or 13th of May.I will be arriving in Seville on the 10th and taking a couple of days of rest and sight seeing, which I will sorely need after flying direct from New Zealand. I'm a bit worried that I left my starting date a bit late in the year because of the possible heat and that there might not be other pilgrims on the track. Also I heard it talked about that the auberges might close during summer break in Spain. Any insides are appreciated, I'm in my 60s and female traveling on my own.
Cheers Elke
I walked the VdlP last year starting in Seville on April 24th and it was already very hot ( and I’m from Australia so used to the heat ).

My tips would be to be prepared for pre dawn starts and to finish walking by early afternoon.
Take lots of water and I used a sun umbrella which helped.

Unfortunately I sustained an injury and stopped in Zamora and am now planning to return, possibly in June, although I’m a little concerned about hot weather then.

There were a few other pilgrims each day but certainly not many.

Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't worry about the departure date. Whether you encounter perfect weather or not, it'll be pure chance. Look, this Kiwi pilgrim started his journey in late September last year. He had to face numerous scorching days early, and later heavy rainfall during a period when Spain was enduring its most severe drought. But he persevered. A stark reminder of the impact of climate change on our environment.

Last edited:
I started late March last year and it was getting warm by late April. 28C by late afternoon.
Just be sensible. I'm sure you'll be fine.

It's possible to walk shorter days in many cases. Though walking the VdlP is a bit like a chess game, as you need to think a few moves / days ahead to plan your distances and likely stopping places.

I walked days that varied from 10 kms to 27 kms. The 27 kms (from Villafranca de los Barros to Torremejia) was hard to make any shorter, but it's not a hard day. Lovely walking track and dead flat! Just start very early to avoid the heat.

Take care to monitor your hydration levels. If you are not sure how to check just google it. Dehydration urine colour! Not drinking enough water is an easy trap to fall into. Leads to sore feet, joints etc.

Start well hydrated...before you start walking.

You will need a carry a fair bit of water. It is rare to be able to refill during the day unless you are passing through the larger villages/towns. Most days I carried 2 litres. on warm or longer days more. You'll soon get used to your water consumption. Mine is fairly constant at 10 kms / litre. But I need a bit more water above 30C.

Pre dawn starts are your friend! Most of the time you are on excellent tracks, and with a good headlamp, walking in the dark is easy. My routine start time became 30 mins before dawn. Hearing the animals and birds waking up and watching the dawn was truly amazing. I never appreciated why people started early. The main benefit of course, is that it's Cool! The hottest part of the day seemed to be 3-5 pm. So I aimed to finish by 2 pm. In time for a menu del dia!

It's worth reading about dawn v sun rise. Most weather apps will tell you the time of sun rise.
But dawn, is well before that, before the sun even appears.
You'll be able to walk with a head torch from about 60 minutes before sunrise for example. Or earlier if you like.
Starting an hour before sunrise, means you are only using your head torch for about 30 minutes.
I hope that makes sense.

Here's an example. Merida in May.

Sunrise is at 7:27 am. But you might start well before that. As the sun comes up, the temperature starts to rise modestly till about 11 am, then it seems, more quickly to the peak part of the day.

Nautical Twilight as at 6:23 am. You can just make out the horizon.

Civil Twilight is at 6:58 am. It's plenty of light for walking without a head torch.

In this scenario, I would probably start walking at 6:15 am.
I might need my head torch for 30 minutes.
Of course you could start earlier, but then you are in the dark longer and missing the scenery.

But of course if the local bar opens for breakfast at 6:30 am, that throws out the whole thing!!
Your call. :)

The hottest part of the day is a bit counter intuitive.
In that link, you will see a reference to 'Solar Noon'. This is when the sun is at it's highest.
In this case it's 2:22 pm.
I seem to recall the hottest part of the day is a bit later than that (2 hours or so).
Maybe a Meteorologist will come along and explain why that is........

Lastly.......

I know that there is often debate about electrolytes and similar. But I think it's important to maintain salt levels in hot weather. Salty foods etc should suffice. But on the VdlP I actually took electrolyte tablets. (Salt Sticks). Hardly a scientific study, but I didn't suffer from energy loss and tired muscles as much as I used to.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi All,
Cheers Elke
Hi Elke,

Half May is not summer and in fact in the past, May was the busiest month on the Plata so you won't be alone.

Everyone is different but I have walked from Sevilla mid June and even leaving in July and although very warm to hot I personally was fine. I did carry 3 liters of water and drank at least another liter after arriving. Obviously starting early is recommended.

Enjoy! I just might walk the Plata again.

Every year will be different weatherwise. I walked the VDLP in 2018 and didn't start until May 29th. It turned out to be an unusually cool year and I spent more time being too cold rather than too hot which is atypical. There were also still plenty of other people on the route for sharing the experience with. Basically, just pay attention to the weather forecast and plan your day accordingly. After Salamanca (early-mid June if you start mid-May) you should be far enough north that scorching heat is not likely to be an issue. Buen Camino.

Looks like you’ve received a lot of good info already so what I have to say is brief. I’m almost 60 and female. I’m restarting my walk on the VdlP later this month. Last year I walked the first 175 miles. I found some of the stages to be long. Rather than risk getting bogged down in the middle of nowhere, I took a cab. There’s no rule saying you have to walk every inch (until you get closer to Santiago). I know what it’s like to get stuck in the middle of nowhere during a Spanish heatwave and it’s no bueno. My plan on this next trip is to avoid the heat and catch a cab on the one or two stages that are particularly long. Best of luck to you! Buen Camino! -Robin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All,
Cheers Elke
Hi Elke

The Via is a difficult Camino with some long stages with no services and starting in May from Seville you're likely to experience days with temperatures above 40C.

I notice that you don't mention previous Camino (or multi-day hiking) experience. It really isn't possible to give you meaning advice without knowing a little about your experience level.

Gerald

Hi Gerald,
sorry for not being precise I'm from NZ and have done plenty of multi day hikes , in NZ you carry all your gear and have to be prepared for all weather but not 40 degrees . Also I have done some High altitude hiking in the Himalayas , so I got some experience.
Cheers Elke

Hi Gerald,
sorry for not being precise I'm from NZ and have done plenty of multi day hikes , in NZ you carry all your gear and have to be prepared for all weather but not 40 degrees . Also I have done some High altitude hiking in the Himalayas , so I got some experience.
Cheers Elke
Mid-May it 'shouldn't' be above 30 deg but nowadays we can't really tell! You'll be fine if you follow the advice given above, ie take plenty of water (3L on the longest stretches) , start very early if it's going to be hot...
I started from Sevilla on 1st June (in 2015) and it was already 36 deg. but then I think it was a very hot year. (The locals were complaining, as they always do ;-).
An umbrella was a life saver - there were lots of stretches without any shade -, also buy from a farmacia some hydrating powder to add to the water (I forget what it's called). Tastes foul but does help.
Then 2 or 3 etapas from Salamanca, it was cold and raining! (12 deg!!!). That was fine for us coming from the UK but the Sevillanos weren't impressed lol.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Gerald,
Cheers Elke
The Mean daily maximum °C in Seville in May is 27.8, in June it's 32.4. So, second half of May it isn't unusual to have temperature in the mid 30s. You'll be walking in Extremadura in June, long stages, little shade and temperature in the mid 30s not unusual up to Salamanca.

I wouldn't start from Seville in May. For me personally I know I wouldn't enjoy it. So I would encourage you to consider your options and think about walking one of the Caminos in the north of Spain. A lot of people drop out of the Via before Merida because it's a lot harder than they were expecting. And that's an option too, from Merida there are trains to Madrid and from there it's easy to get to points on the Camino Frances.

Anyway, whatever you chose, Buen Camino!

Hi Robo,
thank you so much for taking the time giving me a lot of insides. I watched your VDLP walk and enjoyed hearing your thoughts on the different caminos. I myself are taking out 3.5 months to do my" walking meditation". Yes I'm quitting my job,exciting and scary at the same time. I will have time to see some different caminos as well I hope.
What you were saying about pre dawn starts were my thoughts also, I am bringing a Vietnamese little coffee maker so I can enjoy a cuppa and be more self reliant. I'm looking forward to hearing the dawn cor ruse and seeing the sun rise. I'm all for electrolytes but will take them when I finish in avo,in the morning I try a pinch of Himalayan salt to start me off. I think your post gave me the reassurance that my ideas are in line with a person who has been there .
Again thank you very much for careering,
Elke

Hi Elke

The Via is a difficult Camino with some long stages with no services and starting in May from Seville you're likely to experience days with temperatures above 40C.

I notice that you don't mention previous Camino (or multi-day hiking) experience. It really isn't possible to give you meaning advice without knowing a little about your experience level.

Gerald

Weather can be unpredictable. I brought a thermal baselayer for the Mozarabe in January to keep warm against the snow and wind. Daytime temperatures reached 22 degrees. For me that's hot! I was getting through 2 litres if water in 20km.

It's fine saying VDLP has temps in the 20s in May but if you're bad with heat and temps hit late 30s with no reprieve from the sun it can be dangerous.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Elke

Gerald
I am starting on the VDLP on April 12th. From what I see online temperatures should be in the mid 20's but of course temps are rising each year.
I am an experienced older walker and have completed the other big caminos straight in recent years except for the Del Norte which I did half and half. I am planning to do the same with the VDLP and hope to walk from Seville to Salamanca in April.
I now use private accommodation which makes this camino difficult to plan. I am used to 30+km distances but on this camino there are quite a few bunched together.
In particular I am looking at the stretch between Carnaveral to Carcaboso and I wondering what the shortest distance would be, going through Grimaldo and San Gil, avoiding Riolobos and Galisteo. Somebody may have walked that route and be able to comment.
The guidebook by my fellow Irishman, Gerald Kelly is a great help. Thanks.

In particular I am looking at the stretch between Carnaveral to Carcaboso and I wondering what the shortest distance would be, going through Grimaldo and San Gil, avoiding Riolobos and Galisteo. Somebody may have walked that route and be able to comment.
Hi Rosway! Thanks for the plug.

Last time I walked I did Cañaveral to Galisteo (27km), then to Oliva de Plasencia (29km), then to Aldeanueva following the greenway part of the way (about 25km). Longish stages but it was February and it was cold and dry so excellent for walking.

If you want shorter stages: Cañaveral to Grimaldo (10km), nice short day after 33km the day before, then Galisteo (19km) or Carcaboso (29km) in one or two days, and from Carcaboso to Hostal Asturias or Hotel Jarilla (28km), and from there to Aldeanueva or Baños.

I wouldn't avoid Galisteo, it's a nice town with a massive town wall.

There's a diagram here that might be useful for planning: https://www.viadelaplataguide.net/p...-de-la-plata-where-theres-more-than-one-route

Hi Rosway! Thanks for the plug.

Last time I walked I did Cañaveral to Galisteo (27km), then to Oliva de Plasencia (29km), then to Aldeanueva following the greenway part of the way (about 25km). Longish stages but it was February and it was cold and dry so excellent for walking.

If you want shorter stages: Cañaveral to Grimaldo (10km), nice short day after 33km the day before, then Galisteo (19km) or Carcaboso (29km) in one or two days, and from Carcaboso to Hostal Asturias or Hotel Jarilla (28km), and from there to Aldeanueva or Baños.

I wouldn't avoid Galisteo, it's a nice town with a massive town wall.

There's a diagram here that might be useful for planning: https://www.viadelaplataguide.net/p...-de-la-plata-where-theres-more-than-one-route
Thanks Gerald. The map is really helpful. I will have to put in a few really long days but it should be ok if the weather is reasonable. At least there are no steep climbs like the Del Norte and Primitivo.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi All,
Cheers Elke
I am also from NZ, hoping to walk the VDLP next year. Was thinking of walking in May,will be interesting to see how you get on with the heat etc. Noticed that Easter is much look later next year on April 20th. Do I start before Easter and hope to find accommodation over that period or wait until May ? Will have to look at air fares around that date. Enjoy your Camino. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back