• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Special Places - Those that are gone.

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most recent: Fall 2023 Aragonés, Frances
The news of Casa de los Dioses closing down and David moving on to his next purpose led me to think of other special camino places that are gone. A favourite place and shop in Santiago that I always loved visiting was the Libreria Vetusta tucked into an arcade on Rua Nova next to the Church of Sta. Maria Salome. A beautiful old bookshop containing new and used books, magazines, photo cards, old maps and documents ~ all sorts of curiosities. I always found something special there to take home and enjoyed saying hello to the woman who worked there.

At the end of my camino in 2014 I went by and the shop was closed on all three of the days I was in Santiago. Again when I was there in the summer of 2015, it was closed. I asked at the shop across the street and was told that the woman who ran it had been sick and it was rarely open. I looked online yesterday and there was a notice on the business listing for Libreria Vetusta noting the shop as "closed permanently". Sometimes online listing info isn't accurate so I'll still walk by when I'm in Santiago in March to take a look.

With time all things change ~ happy for the memories of these special places.

Attachments

• Libreria Vetusta 1.jpg
    Libreria Vetusta 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Libreria Vetusta 2.jpg
    Libreria Vetusta 2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Libreria Vetusta 3.jpg
    Libreria Vetusta 3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Libreia Vetusta 4.jpg
    Libreia Vetusta 4.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 27
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With time all things change

Nicely put amiga. Don Henley wasn't quite right with his song. We can look back, and often with joyful feelings, but the world will have changed and much that was in the world is no longer in the world. People pass; places change.

I also remember that little book-shop with great affection. I found a Spanish edition of 'The House at Pooh Corner', 'El Rincon de Puh', that I convinced myself would help to improve my Spanish. It hasn't, but it sits on my bookshelves and reminds me of Santiago, and of the Libreria and of aspiration and hope.

And I'll add that not all passing is loss and not all change is detrimental but I do thank you for the reminder that made me get up from the computer and search some shelving and find a little card-board bound edition that when I hold it in my hand smells of dust and book-shop and Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nicely put amiga. Don Henley wasn't quite right with his song. We can look back, and often with joyful feelings, but the world will have changed and much that was in the world is no longer in the world. People pass; places change.

I also remember that little book-shop with great affection. I found a Spanish edition of 'The House at Pooh Corner', 'El Rincon de Puh', that I convinced myself would help to improve my Spanish. It hasn't, but it sits on my bookshelves and reminds me of Santiago, and of the Libreria and of aspiration and hope.

And I'll add that not all passing is loss and not all change is detrimental but I do thank you for the reminder that made me get up from the computer and search some shelving and find a little card-board bound edition that when I hold it in my hand smells of dust and book-shop and Santiago.

Ahhh thank you for your lovely response Tincatinker. Your words "..not all passing is loss and not all change is detrimental" ring very true in my life right now. Wonderful to hear of someone else who found treasure in that little shop ~ not only in a book but also in an experience and memory.

As John Lennon said in his song:
There are places I remember
All my life though some Have Changed
Some forever not for better
Some Have Gone and some remain
All These Places Have Their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all.

Over dinner in an Albergue I was talking to an Italian girl aged 20 called Julia. I said that John Lennon's wife was called Julia. She said "Who's he?"
How wonderful it must be, to be totally innocent of one of the legends of 20th century pop music and to be able to explore it all from new.

For those that haven't heard the tune before you can hear it here.

I was thrilled to see Hostal Suso open as a cafe again. I felt bereft when it closed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Such a lovely response Tincatinker and, oh how wonderful to have found a Spanish edition of the House at Pooh Corner....envious but in a nice way....Camino Hugs.

Oh, I am so happy to hear Suso has opened again @camino07 . Hope that at least some members of the family are involved.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was on my way elsewhere and didn't go in but had a look and it could be same family. not sure.

Wonderful news from Santiago! A dear friend is there now and he reports that the Libreria Vetusta has re-opened after being shuttered for 3 years. A very special place to visit if you find yourself on Rua Nova. And of course...the other subject of my original post - David - is back at Casa de los Dioses. So ~ a full circle post. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.