• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

splurge

cooper23

Time of past OR future Camino
french way
Our Camino will be on a short shoestring but hope to have a little splurge or two. What did you or would splurge on ? Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had a lovely night of luxury in the hotel in Cacabelos, which had a special pilgrim price when I was walking last year. So lovely to have my own shower and bathroom, a large bed with plenty of room around it, and nobody else to wake me up. Plus they did my laundry and I collected it in the morning. The staff there were very kind as well. A splurge I can recommend.
Margaret

A night in a Paradores hotel, I'd recommend the one in Leon, especially given it's link with the pilgrimage route (it was once the home to the knights of the Order of St James whose mission was to protect pilgrims).

Also, a spa pedicure on return! Perhaps giving your feet a few weeks to settle down first though :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My splurge is a celebratory flute of champagne at O Semaforo , the hotel /bar next to the lighthouse and the now famous Camino marker of kilometer 0 at 'the edge of the world' in Finisterre. After 50 days of walking it is always a delicious treat to sit in comfort (heated in winter) while watching the horizon and the endless pewter sea. I silently toast my journey and ponder eternity.

Margaret Meredith

Santiago is also known for its seafood. Incredible fish and shellfish. Stay away from those places on Rua Vilar Rua Franco or Nova try San Clemente Calle San Clemente, 6; better yet if you know your way around the kitchen go early to the market in Santiago-choose whatever you want for a fourth of the price and prepare it yourself.
PS San Clemente is a real splurge but heavenly.

The joy and sorrow of ending our journey, the beautiful cathedral standing before us, the exhaustion and weariness and the layers of pain mixed with just as many layers of relief, it all welled up in us as we stood there quietly in the midday sun.
We stood and looked at the long flight of stairs leading up to the Cathedral, our last sacred steps of the Camino. Should we start the climb? Are we ready? Can we even make the climb? What are we supposed to do first?
I looked at Elaine, she had an expression on her face that I couldn’t identify. All of her emotions were completely exposed; joy, fear, sadness, relief. She just stood there, looking up at the spires in the bright blue sky.
I looked down at our clothes. They were wet and dirty, our shoes covered in mud. I remembered something Elaine had told me over a month ago. There’s a luxury Parador Hotel somewhere on this huge central square. Looking around for several seconds, I spotted a uniformed man unloading luggage out of the back of a large car on the far side of the plaza. I spoke so softly I’m surprised Elaine even heard me. “Darling, there’s the Parador over there.” She pulled her eyes from the Cathedral and looked over at the historic building. “Would you mind if we checked into a hotel and cleaned up a bit? It’s too late for the noon Pilgrims’ Mass. Why don’t we complete our pilgrimage in the morning after we’re clean and rested?”
My words seemed to bring Elaine back to the present. She looked at me with such love in her eyes. I’d found an angel and somehow she’d decided she was going to spend the rest of her days on Earth with me.
She smiled, saying, “Let’s be pilgrims for one more night.”

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
[quote="fostersail1" She smiled, saying, “Let’s be pilgrims for one more night.”[/quote]

This made me cry. Beautiful story, fostersail1. Well told.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have had a few splurges on the camino, not too different from all the other suggestions. But here's what I've found -- the "planned splurges" are much less fun than the spontaneous splurges. On my first camino, my walking partner and I planned to stay in the paradors of Santo Domingo, Leon and Santiago. Reservations were made in advance. We thought these would be nice restorative enjoyable breaks from what was certain to be a grueling month of walking. It's hard to complain about a night in the parador, but somehow these nights just didn't work their magic. But the spur of the moment splurge I made when I was walking the Camino de Invierno was exactly what the doctor ordered. I came into Monforte de Lemos very hot and very tired and saw a sign for the parador. I climbed up the hill, went inside, and had a heavenly rest.

The other thing is, as fostersail's poignant memoir shows, sometimes splurging just doesn't seem right and you just don't feel like luxury of any kind!

Bottom line -- for me, half the fun of the splurge is going for it at those unexpected moments when it would feel the best. Buen camino, and here's to many enjoyable splurges! Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My offering here is a bit different. It's something I have been able to do throughout all of my travels, not just the Camino.

There's always one moment, the perfect one, when my new travel family (or just one) unites. It's during this time which I "splurge". I never know when this will happen, it just does.

Being an extremely simple person, my spirit elevates more by sharing what I have.

I am incredibly happy to take care of those around me in any way. Most of the time, this comes in the form of a nice dinner for everyone. It is a surprise, and the gratitude is sincere.

This is my "thank you" of sorts for those who walk by my side. Not once have I been denied and always received with elation. Especially on the Camino, it's as if one has made the lotto! It's fun to set this up beforehand with the restaurant. Surprise gifts are good for the soul, right? I ask nothing in return.

I make it a point to pause the dinner and sincerely thank those who contribute to my brilliant life. Sometimes I get really nervous and filled with emotion. No matter.

That's my splurge.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back