• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spring has sprung?

Opiemoore

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 22
Greetings. I walked the camino in September and October, had great weather, and got to see a bit of fall colors as I got closer to Santiago. The meseta was pretty bare because the harvest had already been take in. I'm thinking about walking the camino again next April/May to get a different take, and have been watching the weather...looks pretty good right now.

What I can't find out and am wondering about is if the trees have leafed out, and wildflowers are blooming... deciding whether to leave in mid-April or a bit later in May.

Thanks for any input, Buen Camino! eric

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I usually walk in the Fall, but in 2017, I walked from Logroño to Sahagun (but not the meseta) and LOVED to see the wind blowing thru the new, GREEN wheat - maybe about a foot high - not sure - absolutely lovely. I was used to seeing golden wheat, or bare fields...
Am looking at my photos of May 21 maybe between Navarrete & Najera and trees have leaves, but small and not very full as in September. The vineyards are green but, again, not lush like they are in Sept/Oct.
Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Talking about Navarra here: trees are all green by mid April, and flowers start appearing already in late February but are at their greatest moment from late March to mid May.

These pics are from about 1-2 weeks ago:

IMG_5903.jpeg

IMG_5905.jpeg

IMG_5886.jpeg

IMG_5929.jpeg

Specifically with red poppies, here in Navarra where I live they have always begun appearing in late April but this year they appeared in late March already!

Rapeseed yellow fields range from late March to mid May. This picture is from about 10 days ago and it still looks exactly like that today.

IMG_5882.jpeg

IMG_5906.jpeg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Greetings. I walked the camino in September and October, had great weather, and got to see a bit of fall colors as I got closer to Santiago. The meseta was pretty bare because the harvest had already been take in. I'm thinking about walking the camino again next April/May to get a different take, and have been watching the weather...looks pretty good right now.

What I can't find out and am wondering about is if the trees have leafed out, and wildflowers are blooming... deciding whether to leave in mid-April or a bit later in May.

Hello! We are currently walking the CF. We started in St. Jean on April 11 and are currently in Navarret. Weather has been beautiful. The fields are very lush from the rains they had around Easter. Some trees are out, some are not. Lots of wildflowers. Lots of poppies too. Each year will be a little different. Some of our mornings have been cool (1-5 degrees) but warm up to 15-25 throughout the day. We had beautiful clear skies and warm sunshine (20 degrees) on the Napoleon route but 3 days before there was snow, sleet, rain and fog. You just never know what you’ll get!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Camino Frances between April 28 - June 5, 2022, and I chose that time of year because of the very reason about which you inquire. It was gorgeous. Everything was in bloom, and I fell in love with the Flanders poppies! One caution, though... the competition for beds was fierce. May is a very busy month! But it was worth it. The scenery was absolutely beautiful! Go! You will not regret it. Buen Camino!

I’m on the CF now in Trabadelo. Wildflowers are blooming and trees are budding! Grapevines have leaves on them!

Talking about Navarra here: trees are all green by mid April, and flowers start appearing already in late February but are at their greatest moment from late March to mid May.

View attachment 168261

View attachment 168262

View attachment 168263

View attachment 168264

Specifically with red poppies, here in Navarra where I live they have always begun appearing in late April but this year they appeared in late March already!

Rapeseed yellow fields range from late March to mid May. This picture is from about 10 days ago and it still looks exactly like that today.

View attachment 168265

View attachment 168266

Hope this helps!
Juanma, much as gracias!

Sus fotografias son mug hermosa. Eric

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

View attachment 168265

Hope this helps!
Ohhhh, @Juanma I especially like this one -- It's the cliffs!!!!

I started in spring on the Frances from SJPdP two times in mid-April and really love that time of year Fresh buds and blossoms the first week on the trees and evolving into fresh bright green leaves as the days go by. Many poppies and wildflowers after a week or two.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.