• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean Pied de Port

Milly dipa

CF 2018,2019. LePuy 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
September “2018”
Hi I walked from Leon to Santiago September 2018 solo and with 6kl in my pack. I had never backpacked or hiked much prior to this and I'm hooked. Im 66 yrs old and can't wait to return and start in St Jean. I am taking my husband along this time. We are coming from Perth in Australia in late April 2019 and St Jean looks like a very pretty place. My question is - how long do you think we need in St Jean to see it, ie is a morning or afternoon enough or should we spend the day there. Thanks and can't wait to get back.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
SJPD is a beautiful place. If you have time spend a day there. We arrived in the morning, had a picnic lunch in a little park near the river, and hiked up to Orrison. I wish we had taken the time to spend a night in the village.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree that a day will give you a great look at the area. It is a nice town to visit. It is not too early to secure lodging reservations as this is a busy tourist and pilgrim village. Of course there are some albergues which do not accept reservations, but if you are wanting the best room options, the sooner the better :)

Well, that depends on your style and preferences. SJPP is a tiny beautiful village; and there is, obviously, the Citadel, the fortress overlooking the city, the stroll along the walls and the river. You can even take a taxi to Saint Jean le Vieux and walk back to SJPP with the pilgrims coming from Le Puy or Lourdes. And there is Pilgrim' Mass at the old Notre Dame church,
Don't forget to taste the well renowned Basque food. So, a day there would be well spent.
Or you can walk the main street, which you can do in five minutes, take some photos, have lunch and start walking to Orisson or Valcarlos.
It is up to you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, in 2016 I flew direct from Melbourne to Paris and then train from Paris to SJPDP arriving late in the afternoon so I spent the next day looking around the town before leaving the next morning for Orisson.
I felt this easied me into it after a day and a half of travel.
SJPDP is a lovely little town and is well worth looking around before setting off.
Buen Camino

I always recommend booking two nights in advance. The first evening, when you arrive, you will be very tired and jet-lagged. Get a good night's sleep in a hotel, then spend the next day playing tourist.

Saint Jean Pied de Port is a wonderful, historic, beautiful and friendly town. They have been equipping and preparing pilgrims to head for Santiago for more than 1100 years.

If you can, try to make the 8 pm Pilgrim Mass in the ancient church at the bottom of Rue de la Citadelle, before the bridge, the night before you leave. Although a Catholic church, all pilgrims are welcome to attend the Mass. I encourage you to attend. It IS special, and it is a nice way to start your pilgrimage to Santiago.

There are several fine hotels in town. My personal preference is for the Hotel Ramuntcho, for its very central location on the corner of Rue de France and Rue de la Citadelle.

You will NOT be disappointed...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Such thoughtful and considerate advice. Much appreciated. Love this forum.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
how long do you think we need in St Jean to see it?

Hi, and as others have noted it depends on the time of day you arrive and how long you have been travelling to arrive in Saint-Jean.

Our interests all differ. My interests are quite detailed but I was done in well under three hours. I arrived shortly after noon early May. I first checked with the Pilgrims Office (run by Dutch volunteerss, if memory serves) and selected my (French) gite-d'etape.

The main axis of interest runs from the Citadel at the north eastern entrance to the village. The main street follows a curve (past the Pilgtims Office) steeply down about 300 metres to the La Nive / Errobia. Then over the footbridge and up 200 m to the southern outskirts of the walled village and so on to the walk in the park to Roncesvalles.

Apart from, for me, interesting buildings lining both sides of this street housing a mixture of gite, shops selling clothing and mementos to pilgrims and tourists (of whom there were many that day), bars and eateries. The different building was the red stone church just before the river.

From a little to the east of you both and then over a ditch I say kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Agree much with the idea to spend a full day being there, getting rested, getting your backpack arranged, strolling the down which is crazy lovely, getting a good nights rest and next day off bright and early. Especially, if you are coming off of a long oversees flight. Also when in Saint Jean don’t miss the experience of staying at Beilari. I think it is the most amazing way to immerse oneself in the atmosphere of the Camino even before one heads towards the Pyrenees. Just across the narrow street from the Pilgrims Office which is not run by Dutch volunteers (that is Roncevalles!), but by charming French Basque people, the Pilgrims Office, that is! And there are some wonderful restaurants, too. Even Michelin starred.

Hi I walked from Leon to Santiago September 2018 solo and with 6kl in my pack. I had never backpacked or hiked much prior to this and I'm hooked. Im 66 yrs old and can't wait to return and start in St Jean. I am taking my husband along this time. We are coming from Perth in Australia in late April 2019 and St Jean looks like a very pretty place. My question is - how long do you think we need in St Jean to see it, ie is a morning or afternoon enough or should we spend the day there. Thanks and can't wait to get back.
[/QUOTE
We, myself 66 and my wife 57, from South AUS also walked from Leon to SdC in June/ July 2018 and plan to return in 2021 to walk the full Frances and hopefully the Porto soon after. Like you, we feel the Camino 'calling'!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi. Michael and Lynne from NSW, also in our 60’s. We plan to leave SJ on 28th April. We may see you along the way.

Hi. Michael and Lynne from NSW, also in our 60’s. We plan to leave SJ on 28th April. We may see you along the way.
Wow Michael and Lynne, impressive list of walks. We hope to do Francigena Lausanne to Rome in 2020. Hope we see you. Look out for us. Emilia and David

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back