• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean to Pamplona at Easter

Steve Hackman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015, 2017)
Muxia & Fisterra (2015)
Via Francigena (2018)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi all,

I will be starting my Camino in SJPdP on April 2nd 2015. I purposely chose April to avoid the summer rush but have been wondering what preparations I should make for traveling those first few days to Pamplona over Good Friday and Easter. Any advice / or recommendations?

Cheers

Steve

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Be prepared for there to be a lot of Spanish pilgrims using their Easter break to walk a section of the Camino. This will include everything from families with younger children and school groups through to solo pilgrims.

You can also expect to see some spectacular events if you are in one of the larger towns. I arrived in Pamplona on Good Friday in 2010, in time to see the spectacle of the procession from the cathedral through the streets.

Be prepared for there to be a lot of Spanish pilgrims using their Easter break to walk a section of the Camino. This will include everything from families with younger children and school groups through to solo pilgrims.

You can also expect to see some spectacular events if you are in one of the larger towns. I arrived in Pamplona on Good Friday in 2010, in time to see the spectacle of the procession from the cathedral through the streets.

Well Doug , you beat me to it almost word for word - I have been in Logróno during Easter and witnessed La Procession which was amazing .....20 floats with bearers wearing hoods. Some had as many as 60 bearers and a third had their own band - then I've been to Santa Domingo where in their prossesion they had a single illuminated depiction of the last super . Each discilpe had his name in a small glass frame ... Judas had been smashed. Finally , Granón where the prossesion was from the Church to the Ermita for a short sevice and back to the Church again singing praises in utter darkness without so much as a torch.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

I will be starting my Camino in SJPdP on April 2nd 2015. I purposely chose April to avoid the summer rush but have been wondering what preparations I should make for traveling those first few days to Pamplona over Good Friday and Easter. Any advice / or recommendations?

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve, my husband and I are starting
our trek April 1, 2015 starting at STPDP to Santiago. We are leaving from Canada on the 29th of March. We were discussing Easter also which seems to be a lovely experience but not sure if any stores are open to purchase food. Does anyone have any info? Thanks

Good Friday is a national holiday meaning no public transportation, the last bus out of Pamplona is around 1800 Thursday and then not much else until Monday except cabs. That Thursday is also a night of merrymaking, the bars will be open so be prepared for boisterous celebrations spilling over into the streets of Pamplona until the early hours very enjoyable if you are taking part, quite aggravating if you are in bed trying to sleep.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have experienced Easter on both my caminos. In 2011 I saw the processions in Navarette and Azofra and this year we walked into Santiago on Easter Saturday!
Yes, the camino was busier for a few days but, overall, I feel fortunate to have met so many Spanish pilgrims and to have witnessed their important holiday.
buen camino

our trek April 1, 2015 starting at STPDP to Santiago. We are leaving from Canada on the 29th of March. We were discussing Easter also which seems to be a lovely experience but not sure if any stores are open to purchase food. Does anyone have any info? Thanks
Wonderful Maya. We will be starting on April 3 from SJPdP...we'll try to catch up with you :) Have a Buen Camino!

I would recommend that you have purchased any groceries you might need (bread, cheese, etc) for use on Holidays not later than noon the day before (stores often don't open again after the siesta in the evening before). Holidays would include Sundays and Easter Friday. Be aware that every autonomous community (Navarra, La Rioja, etc) has its own holidays and several have holidays during holy week following Easter ... and everything (except restaurants/bars) is closed. They take their holidays seriously in Spain. Normally there will be a large grocery store open for a few hours in larger towns such as Pamplona. Sometimes a mom and pop operation with very limited selection will be open.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The drummers in the squares of Burgos were fantastic, echoes, rhythms. syncopation, it raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

Burgos was a great place to be that Easter.

Just take it easy for the first few days (actually, all the days) ... don't look forward to where you will stay or eat, when you will stop, how far you will walk, just step out and walk towards the west - all will be well. Enjoy! Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back