• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Michael's Way, Cornwall, UK

Kenneth Judd

Time of past OR future Camino
None in the past - only the Camino Ingles planned
Hello, everyone. I will be back in the UK late Fall and I've read about the St Michael's Way in Cornwall. It's a short 21 km walk but it sounds beautiful. I walked the Ingles as a pilgrimage in memory of my late wife last October. I've read the St Michael's Way was where English pilgrims on their way to SdC walked to avoid the treacherous voyage around Lands End.

I'm a member of St Michael's Church here in Colorado and I have a St Michael's patch on my backpack so walking this short Camino appeals on several levels!

I'm wondering if anyone has personal knowledge of this?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked it, or a bit of it, some years ago. The whole of Cornwall is beautiful and it is a beautiful walk (if the weather is good). Paths and footpaths are well marked all over the UK, but if you can get hold of an Ordnance Survey map of the area, it will be a lot more fun. There are some days when St Michael´s mount is closed, so try to check that out first.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked it and wrote about it a few years back (if you’d like to read that, here it is, https://www.perceptivetravel.com/issues/0120/cornwall.html).

It is a powerful 21 kilometers of prehistory, history, folklore, nature, and wonderful villages and vistas. I highly recommend it. It is indeed the route pilgrims took to boat from Saint Michael’s Mount to Mont Saint Michel and onward for many to Compostela.

Hi Kenneth, I walked it a few weeks ago and wrote about my experience of it - see link below. It's a beautiful walk with lots to recommend it. There's a wonderful moment when you get to the top of the first hill and can see both coasts at once. The Friends of St Michael's Way website is very good; they have a series of stamps along the way and the website tells you how to find them.
I followed the route with a GPX file so I didn't need a guidebook. You might consider taking out a month's subscription to the Ordnance Survey app on your phone - it's excellent (detailed maps of the UK with footpaths marked and you can work out where you are, by GPS!). Buen camino, and do ask if you have any questions!
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...camino-ingles-in-cornwall.81404/#post-1152480

I walked it and wrote about it a few years back (if you’d like to read that, here it is, https://www.perceptivetravel.com/issues/0120/cornwall.html).

It is a powerful 21 kilometers of prehistory, history, folklore, nature, and wonderful villages and vistas. I highly recommend it. It is indeed the route pilgrims took to boat from Saint Michael’s Mount to Mont Saint Michel and onward for many to Compostela.
Beebe, thank you! Your descriptions of the places and your feelings about them are beautifully crafted. This is a walk I want to do!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Kenneth, I walked it a few weeks ago and wrote about my experience of it - see link below. It's a beautiful walk with lots to recommend it. There's a wonderful moment when you get to the top of the first hill and can see both coasts at once. The Friends of St Michael's Way website is very good; they have a series of stamps along the way and the website tells you how to find them.
I followed the route with a GPX file so I didn't need a guidebook. You might consider taking out a month's subscription to the Ordnance Survey app on your phone - it's excellent (detailed maps of the UK with footpaths marked and you can work out where you are, by GPS!). Buen camino, and do ask if you have any questions!
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...camino-ingles-in-cornwall.81404/#post-1152480
Mazzarina, thank you! You pr8ovided the kind of information I hoped to get about this Camino. I'll be in the UK and Ireland for about six weeks this Fall and Winter and I hope to walk St Michael's Way and perhaps others. I very much appreciate your kind help.

Beebe, thank you! Your descriptions of the places and your feelings about them are beautifully crafted. This is a walk I want to do!
Thank you, Kenneth! I’d love to hear about your experience on it. It is a powerful little trail!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.