• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stages to skip

Brodie

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Frances
If you had to, which stages between Moissac and SaintJean PdP would you miss out? Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have only cycled the route, but I think my answer would have been the same if I had walked it.

Two things to consider:
- Arriving in Saint-Jean is loads of fun. Walking (or cycling) through the pilgrims' gate -- much preferable to arriving by bus or train, I would say.
- How do you intend to "skip" the stage? By taking a train? If so, note that Moissac will be your last option to get a train until Pau/Orthez. There are no train stations in the entire stretch between them.

Combining the two points: if you absolutely had to, I would choose stages between Moissac and Arthez-de-Béarn to skip. Depending on how long a stretch you need to skip, Lectoure, La Romieu and Condom are nice and have (bus) connections back to Moissac. Then you could take a train ahead to Pau or Orthez and join the route again at Arthez.
From there you can still do the pretty Basque lands and walk into Saint-Jean.

Not coincidentally, I personally felt the stretch between Condom and Arthez was the least interesting part of the route.
Still worthwhile and still nice, don't get me wrong! Walk it if you can.
But if you are forced to skip something, that's the part I would choose.

HHmm, as much as I enjoy all of the Le Puy route - depending on how much you need to skip, I think I'd agree with @Murk that Condom to Arthez is a reasonable candidate.

I would not miss Lectoure (and not just because I live here) - it's a lovely town.

Buses

There is a bus a few times a day between Condom and Nogaro (bus 952) - if that's sufficient 'skipping' - it's about 50kms. And from Nogaro there is a bus to Aire sur L'Adour (bus 934) - a further 27 kms. But if the bus time don't line up, you'd probably waste a day travelling.

Passenger transport

La Malle Postale is a great service, but they only run between Le Puy en Velay and Lectoure. You may be able to arrange passenger transport say from Lectoure back to Moissac and take the train option as mentioned by @Murk Here is the link. They are usually prompt in responding.

Transport Claudine provides services from Lectoure to SJPP, Here is a link to their website. It says they provide a shuttle back from SJPP or Roncesvalles, but perhaps you may be able to arrange passenger transport between Point A and Point B with the baggage delivery van. Again, worth an email?

I have a feeling there may be another provider now. I've seen the vans in town here, but I don't recall the name of the company. Maybe someone who has used it will see the thread? Or ...

And, perhaps, @BlackRocker57 will chime in here. She is very knowledgeable on all things relating to the Le Puy Route. And she was on the Le Puy Way again, just a few months ago, so her information is recent.

Hope it all works out. It's a beautiful path.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you Murk and Pelerina for your excellent advice. I am on the walk now and just do not have enough days left in my schedule to get to St Jean PdP on time. That is really helpful. I was thinking I would go to Lectoure and Condom. I’ll assess how many days I need to cut out and most likely get the bus at Condom. Thanks very much.

Thank you Murk and Pelerina for your excellent advice. I am on the walk now and just do not have enough days left in my schedule to get to St Jean PdP on time. That is really helpful. I was thinking I would go to Lectoure and Condom. I’ll assess how many days I need to cut out and most likely get the bus at Condom. Thanks very much.
Great, Brodie. Where are you now? If you plan to stay in Lectoure - I'd be delighted to meet for a coffee, apero etc. We are leaving for 'a long walk' on 1 October, but pretty much around until then. Bon chemin.

Here is the link for the buses where you can put in your journey and times etc and see what comes up

And this is where you will find the timetables. The region you want is Gers. Line 952 between Condom and Nogaro. And 934 from Nogaro to Aire sur l'Adour.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
HHmm, as much as I enjoy all of the Le Puy route - depending on how much you need to skip, I think I'd agree with @Murk that Condom to Arthez is a reasonable candidate.

I would not miss Lectoure (and not just because I live here) - it's a lovely town.

Buses

There is a bus a few times a day between Condom and Nogaro (bus 952) - if that's sufficient 'skipping' - it's about 50kms. And from Nogaro there is a bus to Aire sur L'Adour (bus 934) - a further 27 kms. But if the bus time don't line up, you'd probably waste a day travelling.

Passenger transport

La Malle Postale is a great service, but they only run between Le Puy en Velay and Lectoure. You may be able to arrange passenger transport say from Lectoure back to Moissac and take the train option as mentioned by @Murk Here is the link. They are usually prompt in responding.

Transport Claudine provides services from Lectoure to SJPP, Here is a link to their website. It says they provide a shuttle back from SJPP or Roncesvalles, but perhaps you may be able to arrange passenger transport between Point A and Point B with the baggage delivery van. Again, worth an email?

I have a feeling there may be another provider now. I've seen the vans in town here, but I don't recall the name of the company. Maybe someone who has used it will see the thread? Or ...

And, perhaps, @BlackRocker57 will chime in here. She is very knowledgeable on all things relating to the Le Puy Route. And she was on the Le Puy Way again, just a few months ago, so her information is recent.

Hope it all works out. It's a beautiful path.
🤣 Here I am chiming in 😅 hopefully not too late in the peace ... all of this is true and correct👌 The new baggage transfer service that operates between Moissac and StJPP is «les Valises de Saint-Jacques» ... as with the other two established services, they are excellent‼️ and very responsive to client requests ...
------
So, if you do decide to skip a few stages on the back end [say, from Condom to Arthez-de-Béarn] then I would contact both «les Valises de Saint-Jacques» and «Transports Claudine» by email OR WhatsApp and see if / how they can help you. Local bus services, as suggested by @Pelerina also work very well and are inexpensive €2 for a ride of any distance! Bon courage💪🏽

with the «Lio» app it is easy to get from Condom to Nogaro and then to Aire-sur-l’Adour for the princely sum of €4 ...

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back