• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too soon to second Camino?

Wanderwoman2

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hi all!
I'm wondering if it's too soon to do a second Camino from Le Puy to SJPDP exactly a year after my first. I did the Camino Frances in April-May 2023.

I had some life things to work through and went on the trip expecting that stuff would come up, which it did, and I worked and walked through it until I found my joy. Coming home was a rough transition because the Camino really shook up my old ways of living, but it was good and necessary!

I took a temp job which ends around March 2024 and I started thinking about doing Le Puy route because I loved France, I've been doing Duolingo for 6 months, watching French TV and listening to French music. Plus I could take the time off between jobs, but might not have that flexibility again if I take a full-time position right away.

My concerns are that the last Camino was such a whole spiritual and emotional upheaval, and I don't I need that right now. Ie, I'm not searching for anything now like I was then. Le Puy doesn't seem to have that reputation anyway. Or does it? If you aren't taking it as a specifically spiritual journey, does it become drudgery or do you slip back into that zone of peaceful mindfulness more easily the second time around? Would it be too soon to do a second Camino (exactly a year after the first)? Like would it spoil the experience of the first to do a second so soon after? Or have I not marinated enough in the last one? Should you space these trips out for pivotal moments of life or just go for the joy of it?

You guys always have such good insight and really helped saved my last Camino so I thought I'd ask you all!
Thanks 🥰

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Seems line you’ve grown from and since your first camino. Experiences change us and we learn. We never stop learning. Enjoy your life and the opportunities that come your way. I second what @trecile said. Don’t overthink it…spread your wings. Buen camino! 😊

PS. Our brains are hard wired to marinate a LOT of stuff 👍

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all!
I'm wondering if it's too soon to do a second Camino from Le Puy to SJPDP exactly a year after my first. I did the Camino Frances in April-May 2023.

I had some life things to work through and went on the trip expecting that stuff would come up, which it did, and I worked and walked through it until I found my joy. Coming home was a rough transition because the Camino really shook up my old ways of living, but it was good and necessary!

I took a temp job which ends around March 2024 and I started thinking about doing Le Puy route because I loved France, I've been doing Duolingo for 6 months, watching French TV and listening to French music. Plus I could take the time off between jobs, but might not have that flexibility again if I take a full-time position right away.

My concerns are that the last Camino was such a whole spiritual and emotional upheaval, and I don't I need that right now. Ie, I'm not searching for anything now like I was then. Le Puy doesn't seem to have that reputation anyway. Or does it? If you aren't taking it as a specifically spiritual journey, does it become drudgery or do you slip back into that zone of peaceful mindfulness more easily the second time around? Would it be too soon to do a second Camino (exactly a year after the first)? Like would it spoil the experience of the first to do a second so soon after? Or have I not marinated enough in the last one? Should you space these trips out for pivotal moments of life or just go for the joy of it?

You guys always have such good insight and really helped saved my last Camino so I thought I'd ask you all!
Thanks 🥰

Go!

Expect nothing.

Take loads of pictures.

Buen Camino.

I personally have walked a boatload of caminos, often 1 per year when I was working but lately it's become borderline ridiculous. I walked 5 1/2 last year (2023).

If someone asks me along the way about why I keep coming back (only after asking me about my camino experience), (I never volunteer this information anymore, as its getting sort of embarrassing) I tell them"its about the people".

Frankly tho I think I am just happier there and a better person in general when walking. Nothing wrong with that. (That's kinda spiritual, but not in the traditional sense.)

BUT... each camino is different. So many variables (weather, people met, route taken, time of year) so as @nycwalking describes, try not to have expectations...

I'd try a different route tho. If you walk want to walk from deep France you can head towards Bayonne and then try the Norte. I met a cool English couple who lived in France who did that.

The benefit of doing a different route, for me, is its novel, and I don't fall into the trap of expectations as much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Too soon? Definitely not. My last Camino finished the end of July. I'd join you in a heartbeat!

And by choosing Le Puy to SJPDP I think you will find it an awful lot easier to go with no expectations. I haven't done it yet, but have read a significant amount about it, because it's part of a project that I'm working on.

As you know, France is a very different country, the people - both on and off trail - culture and even accommodation are all very different. (More expensive too, but that is a different story). By April most Gites are open, you might want to double check. Judging from other people's experiences in the past, it appears that most book 1-2 days ahead, although some say that's not necessary until May ( traditionally a busy time, half of France goes on holiday and there are many more walkers). I've read that the section of the route from Le Puy to Conques is also at an altitude that varies between about 900m to about 1300m, crossing the Aubrac Plateau, and many hit Snow even mid April. Wet/ cold weather is, as always, possible - even likely - so early in the year. But all of that is just prep! And spring is such a beautiful time of the year.

It will only be drudgery if you allow it to be. The fact that you have already done so much preparation shouts to me that you really want to go and that you're just looking for a little positive affirmation from us. Well, you came to the right place!
Bon chemin !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not to soon; just GO!!
As mspath always says Carpe Diem; seize the day!

My kids think the phrase below which is under my recent Camino tattoo is naff; but for me it says loads in a nutshell

Don't let your head ,stop your heart from moving.

You can talk yourself out of things with doubt even if your heart wants to go.
Finished my second Camino October 23 flights booked for May this year.
It's in your head already it won't go away well it never has for me.
Accept whatever happens good or bad is part of the journey defo stay positive and you will have a blast!
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
Hi all!

(...)

Thanks 🥰

If you feel the urge to go, then it is probably not too early at all :)

I would not overthink it as rarely two Caminos are comparable even if you would chose the same route. Some people have been disappointed as the second camino did not replicate the first one at all. Both while walking and in the aftermath.

So you never know what exactly you will get ... just take it as it comes :cool: If you want to do it for the joy of it, fine, just do it :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you were not ready to do a second camino you would not be asking the question.

I second Peter’s comment; I’d go in a heartbeat.

The Le Puy is fabulous. I hope to do it again, for the second time, hopefully in Spring this year.

Last edited:
I have gone from walking one Camino a year to going twice a year for the last couple of years! The only route I have repeated was the Frances one time.
Do not be concerned. I have not yet read of anyone regretting going a second time, even if their expectations were not fully met; usually it has been a repeat Camino.
The Le Puy is one of my top favorites; you will no doubt love it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A question for forum members who have done multiple caminos in quick succession. Are you always in training? I finished my first camino last May 2023. I am 72 years old. My desire to walk another camino is constrained by my lack of desire to spend 6-8 weeks training (carrying rucksack while walking 10 mile distances every weekend). Are you walking all the time?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all!

Thanks 🥰
The Camino is calling you. If you have the time and the money, why the hell not! :p

Not to soon; just GO!!
As mspath always says Carpe Diem; seize the day!

My kids think the phrase below which is under my recent Camino tattoo is naff; but for me it says loads in a nutshell

Don't let your head ,stop your heart from moving.

You can talk yourself out of things with doubt even if your heart wants to go.
Finished my second Camino October 23 flights booked for May this year.
It's in your head already it won't go away well it never has for me.
Accept whatever happens good or bad is part of the journey defo stay positive and you will have a blast!
Buen Camino
Woody
I love that, don't let you head stop your heart from moving! Thanks for sharing

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A question for forum members who have done multiple caminos in quick succession. Are you always in training? I finished my first camino last May 2023. I am 72 years old. My desire to walk another camino is constrained by my lack of desire to spend 6-8 weeks training (carrying rucksack while walking 10 mile distances every weekend). Are you walking all the time?
I'm in my 40s and used the bag transport service last time after a week of struggling to carry my pack. Highly recommend it! ...i did no training.

I have been walking Caminos and other long distance routes on and off for about 40 years. Apart from my three years of military service I have never done any systematic training or regular exercise apart from my occasional long distance walks. My experience has been that the first couple of days walking are quite challenging - a general lack of stamina and a tendency for my muscles to tense at every coffee break or pause more than a couple of minutes long. By day 3 or 4 that muscle tension usually eases off and by about day 6 or 7 my stamina is about as good as ever and I can face longer days or steeper terrain without much difficulty. For the past three months I have been taking more systematic exercise and reducing my calorie intake in an attempt to lose some weight and preserve what is left of my knees for a little longer but that is only very tangentially related to my Camino walking.

Hi RESOMERS!
My pack for the next one in May from SJPP to Burgos weighs 3.11 kg without water or food (staying in private rooms) my so called training is walking the dog with my pack on it's not heavy!
I learned my lessons on the last two; i dumped so many essentials that were NOT.
Starting walking on my 70th birthday; so were both almost spring chickens 🤣 (the wrinkly kind)
Buen Camino
Woody
Ps Just read Bradypus's post ;yeah defo shed some weight i have gained 8 or the 9 kilos i lost on my September walk! That's an extra two packs to carry!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you always in training? ...my lack of desire to spend 6-8 weeks training (carrying rucksack while walking 10 mile distances every weekend). Are you walking all the time?
I am 75 years old and yes, I am always in training - for life and health, not only for the Camino. My training consists of walking at least 50 km (30 mi) every week, usually distances of no more than about 18 km (10 mi). So, walking every day for 4-5 miles does it.

I never carry my Camino backpack (except maybe once or twice shortly before my trip, just to check rubbing points, etc.) However, I do carry a decent day pack with groceries, library books, shopping, etc., for my daily activities. I do not use walking sticks at home and I do not load up with anything to simulate the Camino.

I consider this "training" to be the best thing I can do, at my age, to be able to enjoy more years of good health and activity.

Hi all!

Thanks 🥰
If your body and mind are ok, do it.

Hi all!

Thanks 🥰
Too soon? Nahhh! I walked the CF Sep-Oct/2023 and I’m going back to do it again in May-Jul 2024. This time I’m taking some alternate routes and bussing through Sarria-Santiago (didn’t much care for that over crowded section and I don’t care about the Compostela). Then I’m walking from Santiago to Finisterre, which I missed last year. I’m just as excited, and know I will meet wonderful people again, but I will miss running into everyone from my last journey - they all added so much to my wonderful Camino experience. 💜

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Personally I feel it’s more important to walk regularly than longer distances. By this I mean that I walk nearly every day. I treat everything as training- need milk? Walk to the shop (1.2km return). Chemist, 3.5km return. Climb the stairs rather than take the elevator. Sometimes I walk the long way home just for the pleasure of it, and add a km or so.

Occasionally I’ll actually do a training walk- sometimes it’s just around the block (2km), more often an hour- 1.5 hours (5-8km).

When time, inclination and weather combine, I’ll walk 12-15km. Generally 2-3 times a month.

It’s a mindset more than anything.

I wish. Sometimes when I get back I get depressed and lose the inclination to walk. I gain weight. Here's a look at my apple health steps per day for last year. Try to guess when I was on the Camino or not! :). I turn 50 this year.

Note: when I had I dog I walked all the time.

IMG_0371.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
never to soon‼️ and you’re sure to love the Voie du Puy-en-Velay ... it is magnifique ... later this year I will celebrate my 10th anniversary pilgrimage on this path incl. a couple of the variantes ... sixth time for me and it can’t come soon enough ... ultreïa👣👣👣

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I met an ancient 92 year old French man once, just shorts and a vast pack (he had camping gear in there) and deeply sun-burned walnut brown. He could walk with no problem but always needed someone to help him put on or take off his rucksack.
He told me that he had started his first Camino in France, from his front door, 17 years before and had repeated each year - I met him on his 17th Camino .... he will be long dead by now but I bet he got a good bunk and pilgrim meal when he arrived at his heavenly Santiago, and hopefully many cold beers.

We live this life, this blessed life we have .. on their deathbed whoever has said "Oh, I wish I had worked harder" or " I wish I had had less sex" or "I wish I had not enjoyed myself so much" or "I wish I had been less kind" or "I wish I had done only one Camino" ... so .....

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have never walked the CF or any route in Spain. Just the Podiensis. Last time from Le Puy to Roncesvalles (strongly recommend doing the crossing from SJPdP - you will find people returning that night to SJPdP to share a taxi with!), but from everything I have heard the Podiensis is quieter with smaller gites (certainly my preference). I have also heard that most people lose weight on the CF, but gain weight on the Le Puy - it's the food! so amazing. I have some physical healing to do before I head out on my next Camino, but if my knee were great, I would be off again in the spring. As for more expensive, it costs about 35 euro for a four-course dinner, a bed and breakfast, not sure how that compares. Most of your questions about the spiritual journey are subjective. I am not religious, so can't speak from that perspective, but the quiet mindfulness that happens is universal on long hikes in my experience. As I understand it, Le Puy is quieter, more difficult, more beautiful and has better food than CF - how can you go wrong?

I loved the Le Puy and it is one of my very favorites, but is very different from all the routes in Spain. The architecture, food, lodging and the huge majority of walkers are French. I paid €35 for dinner and a bed in a gite, but my total daily cost was at least €50 back in 2018. I'm surprised if those prices have stayed the same.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I loved the Le Puy and it is one of my very favorites, but is very different from all the routes in Spain. The architecture, food, lodging and the huge majority of walkers are French. I paid €35 for dinner and a bed in a gite, but my total daily cost was at least €50 back in 2018. I'm surprised if those prices have stayed the same.
There’s a very short thread on that here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/average-daily-expenses-on-the-le-puy.80325/

Considering that the last post was I think May’23, it’s still probably pretty relevant.
I was surprised to see that it’s still considered to be in the €60 range

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'd say it's not too soon as well. I think the time opportunity you have is compelling. Everyone's different of course. In terms of spacing them out, as it makes sense to you? Each time it takes me a few days to settle into the experience mentally. I came out of the Camino Francés discovering that I enjoy walking and being and thinking in this way and that might do something like it once a year. And that life is short!

I like what Camino Chrissy was saying. It's also a different walk and experience. I walked Le Puy to SJPP last summer. Most people out there are French. There's some amazing hospitality and 3 or 4 course dinners. It's a beautiful route too. There's something so peaceful about it. The camino can be a spiritual as one needs? Le Puy - Conques is a powerful journey and the most travelled and an arc in itself. This first part is arguably a little more rugged that the Camino Francés?

Too soon? Nahhh! I walked the CF Sep-Oct/2023 and I’m going back to do it again in May-Jul 2024. This time I’m taking some alternate routes and bussing through Sarria-Santiago (didn’t much care for that over crowded section and I don’t care about the Compostela). Then I’m walking from Santiago to Finisterre, which I missed last year. I’m just as excited, and know I will meet wonderful people again, but I will miss running into everyone from my last journey - they all added so much to my wonderful Camino experience. 💜
You will meet new companions Kristen and those of us you met on your CF last year will have you in our prayers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back