• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start walking the Camino on the 3rd of July, 2012

pkisbenyi

Hello There,
I will start walking the Camino on the 3rd of July from St Jean. Is there anyone out there who are planning the same thing.
I am a 56 year old teacher from Mississauga, Onatario. This will be my very first pilgimage. I am very excited about it but I have some concerns as well.
I am looking forward to meeting with other pilgrims on the way.
See you there, Pearl :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Pkisbenyi,

I will also be walking the Camino in July, but I will be starting on July 6th. This will also be my first pilgrimage. Maybe I'll catch up to you!

Either way,
Bueno Camino!

pkisbenyi said:
Hello There,
I will start walking the Camino on the 3rd of July from St Jean. Is there anyone out there who are planning the same thing.
I am a 56 year old teacher from Mississauga, Onatario. This will be my very first pilgimage. I am very excited about it but I have some concerns as well.
I am looking forward to meeting with other pilgrims on the way.
See you there, Pearl :D

Yes, I am also starting on 3rd July. Can't wait - very exciting.I walked the Portugese last summer but this is my first time on the Frances. Also a teacher, from Scotland. See you there

A selection of Camino Jewellery
...and I'm beginning a little later the same week--I start out on the 7th. I'll have to pick up the pace to meet you, but I hope it happens along the way.
-Rebecca

Hi Pearl
I'm a 50 year old teacher from Charlottetown, PEI and I'll be starting on the 4th. Hopefully I'll meet up with you further along the road.
Patrick

We start walking on 6th, staying first night in Orisson so may not catch you! What are you guys doing about accommodation around and in Pamplona- we'll be there during festival of San Fermin? Not long now :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Pearl,
I'm starting from St. Jean on the morning of the 4th of July. I'll probably stopover in Orrison the first night though. That way I'll have time to look around St. Jean before I start walking in the morning (and have a leisurely coffee and break my legs in gently) and it will also allow me to arrive earlier in Roncevalles the following day so that I have time to look around there. I haven't decided for sure, yet. However, spending an extra night in the Pyrenees sounds almost too good to pass up. I'm also a teacher---what's with all the teachers? Summer holidays, eh? Yes, I'm also from Canada---Calgary. Hope to see you on the journey.

it will also allow me to arrive earlier in Roncevalles the following day so that I have time to look around there
Meaning no offense to Roncesvalles, but there is not much to see! Two bars and a church. The mass is an excellent Camino moment, though. There is a bit more to see if you move on 3 km to Burguette; Hemingway's piano, for example. There is no albergue there; just hotels.

suzie morgs said:
We start walking on 6th, staying first night in Orisson so may not catch you! What are you guys doing about accommodation around and in Pamplona- we'll be there during festival of San Fermin? Not long now :D

Hi Suzy -- I'm also hoping to start on July 6, but haven't quite figured out how to get from Pamplano to SJPDP on July 5. You mentioned Pamplona. How are you getting from Pamplano to SJPDP and what day are you going from Pamplona to SJPDP? I think I'm taking a bus from Madrid that arrives in Pamplona at 15:30; the Express Bourricot can pick me up at 14:30 but it's 84Euro if I'm alone.

Any chance you need to share the Express?? It's cheaper if we go in groups.

I'd be intrested in your thoughts.

Libby

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was hoping to get through Pamplona before the San Fermin festival, but since it starts on the 6th, it looks like I'll be arriving just as it's beginning. As an old Hemingway fan, it would be something to see the running of the bulls, but wading through those crowds with my backpack on would probably be a nightmare. Am a little worried about finding a bed in or near Pamplona that night. Has anyone been in Pamplona during the festival? Any advice?

Most of the beds in Pamplona have been reserved at five to ten times the normal rate since last year. The albergues are closed during San Fermin. The Camino crosses the bull running route, so is closed during the time bracket in the morning. The city is mobbed almost 24 hours a day, though the mob is passed out between about 4 a.m. and dawn! You cannot get a spot to "see" the running unless you claim it very early. The best place to see it is on the internet.

http://www.sanfermin.com/index.php/en/sf10/6-julio

My group of four Canadian pilgrims will be walking to Pamplona on July 7. We start out from SJPP on July 4. With the anxiety around San Fermin driving me, I wrote to Maribel at Albergue de Maribel in Cizur Minor, months back. Kindly she replied advising me to try arriving around noonish and yes, every year pilgrims arrive at her door not having found accommodation in Pamplona.

You can look at the mundicamino website and/or UR Camino at the villages before and after Pamplona to be knowledgeable about where they are and the distance from other albergues that you may be staying at the night before. Usually there is an email address for the albergue and you can write to them for advice.

Veteran pilgrims may be able to provide better advise around this problem but this is the best that I could come up and I hope this helps.

Hope to see you on the path

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Falcon is absolutely correct concerning Pamplona during San Fermin - don't even consider stopping during that week beginning 12:00, 6 July, when the opening of the fiesta until midnight 14 July but the parties start well before and continue long afterwards. I was there 30 years ago and enjoyed every minute then, everyone very happy, all very colorful and very spontaneous everyone very loud everyone very very intoxicated. Today I wouldn't dream of participating loaded down with a pack back and boots! Consider stopping at Zubiri a tiny place which has nice hostels or Larrasoanna a more cosmopolitan place - the bar in the square next to the church has wonderful tapas. Walk through Pamplona to Cizur Menor basically a small boring suburb of Pamplona with a small albergue good luck finding a place to lay your head. Having said that you will be missing Pamplona one of the most delightful stops along the CF, beautiful, culture, art, architecture good food and lovely people who do go overboard at party time. Its that Basque blood I believe.

Hi Pearl,

We (two dads, two sons) may be leaving St Jean on July 2nd or 3rd depending on whether we spend the first night there. Also concerned about a good strategy for Pamplona. I''m a former teacher and lived in Canada (SK) for a few years. Back home now in the other CA (California). Just might get to meet up with you.

Paul

Hi Paul... My father and I (also Paul) Will be starting our Camino on the 8th... We are starting from SJPDP and hope to make it to Burgos in the time that we have available..

Hope you have a brilliant Camino.

Best wishes
Em

:D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This seems to be turning into the Canadians and/or teachers thread! Great to see that so many compatriots and colleagues will be out there at the same time. As for Pamplona, I figure I'll to try to get a bed as close to the city as possible (Trinadad de Arre?) and just prepare for an extra long walk the next day (Zariquiegui or Uterga) and avoid the whole thing. But I agree, Scruffy, missing out on that city is a major disappointment. Maybe next time....

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back