• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting 1st Camino from SJPdP September 15

msbabb

Mary Sue & Paul
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francais (Fall, 2018)
VdlP (Spring 2023)
My husband and I are retired and beginning our 1st Camino in September, planning to stay in SJPdP for 2 nights to acclimate a little before beginning to walk on September 15. We are in our early 60's and have been doing quite a bit of hiking over the last several months to train. Hoping to make it all the way to Santiago; giving ourselves 6 weeks of walking. This has been something that has called to me for the past couple of years and I finally decided if I didn't choose a starting date it would never happen.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My husband and I are retired and beginning our 1st Camino in September, planning to stay in SJPdP for 2 nights to acclimate a little before beginning to walk on September 15. We are in our early 60's and have been doing quite a bit of hiking over the last several months to train. Hoping to make it all the way to Santiago; giving ourselves 6 weeks of walking. This has been something that has called to me for the past couple of years and I finally decided if I didn't choose a starting date it would never happen.

Hello Friend, congratulations, you are about to embark on a trip of your lifetime. At 73, I walked the Camino Francis solo and it was an amazing, transformative experience. I began my adventure, like you, in SJPP. I also stay two nights to rest and get my bearing before heading out for Orisson on September 19th. I bought a open return flight home so I could wonder and explore along the way. For the most part, I stayed in alburge's but frankly did not care for the cramped quarters although it was a great way to meat fellow pilgrims over a refreshment or meal. I can go on and on. If you have any questions such as weather, packing list, sleeping bag versus liner, water and so forth, please let me know and I will be happy to share my experience with you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Friend, congratulations, you are about to embark on a trip of your lifetime. At 73, I walked the Camino Francis solo and it was an amazing, transformative experience. I began my adventure, like you, in SJPP. I also stay two nights to rest and get my bearing before heading out for Orisson on September 19th. I bought a open return flight home so I could wonder and explore along the way. For the most part, I stayed in alburge's but frankly did not care for the cramped quarters although it was a great way to meat fellow pilgrims over a refreshment or meal. I can go on and on. If you have any questions such as weather, packing list, sleeping bag versus liner, water and so forth, please let me know and I will be happy to share my experience with you.

Hi there “73 “ I am on my way to SJPP 28th Sept and glad to Hear you booked two nights before you set off . I have my 11year old granddaughter with me and will be 73 on the day I set off . Did you stay at Orisson . We thought we would have a couple of short days to start . Looking forward to adventures galore .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Tay & I . . . I made the decision to take it easy for my first few days so I could acclimate myself in SJPP and my first day on the trail. The hike to Orisson, while only about 5 miles, is no pushover so you will appreciate a short day and a nice meal and bunk to rest your tired doggies. If you have not made a reservation yet, do so asap and be prepared to prepay with PayPal. Be patient, they are slow to respond to inquiries. If you have any questions, I am here to share my thoughts and experience with you. Rover

Have a wonderful Camino...book ahead the first few days the traffic will be heavy!!

Hi Marbe2,
Several people have mentioned booking ahead, but we decided against doing that, mainly because we want to let the Camino unfold and trust in God's providence . . . this is truly a pilgrimage for us. In our camping travels we follow the same principle . . . no reservations, seeing how far we will get, and what is available. 99% of the time it has worked out. We are pretty flexible and figure somewhere we will find a bed.

Hi Marbe2,
Several people have mentioned booking ahead, but we decided against doing that, mainly because we want to let the Camino unfold and trust in God's providence . . . this is truly a pilgrimage for us. In our camping travels we follow the same principle . . . no reservations, seeing how far we will get, and what is available. 99% of the time it has worked out. We are pretty flexible and figure somewhere we will find a bed.

I just looked at private accommodations availability for September 15 in Roncesvalles. Right now most private accommodations are full! However, I admire your approach As long as you are flexible you will eventually find a place, somewhere....in some town! Safe and blessed Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Rover for your suggestions . I have contacted Refuge Orisson 2x but no reply after one week. I have been thinking about phoning them . Maybe they speak English or might get a French speaker colleague to talk for me . Alternatively I could get a taxi back to sjpdp for the night . With comment re onward -Just thinking I better book Roncesvalles as well . I’m very flexible but with 11year old better to be a bit more cautious I think .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I'll be a week behind you as I start from SJPP on Sat 22 Sept. I'm 65. I've retired twice!! Firstly from my main career job 6 years ago and more recently from my spare time job two weeks ago. I've been actively planning for the Camino for the last 2 years. The spare time job was good in that (a) it gave me useful 'pocket' money for equipment purchases and (b) it was 7 miles to my place of work which I walked to as often as the weather permitted, hence good preparation for the Camino. This year I've been doing plenty of hilly walks of around 15 to 20 miles in length and so far so good.
Like yourselves I have no fixed date of return. I plan to do the extra miles out to Finisterre so I imagine the whole thing will be about 6 weeks in duration. I also plan to have a number of 'rest' days in either/all of Burgos/Leon/Santiago. I had enough time-related stress in my life. I do not want this sort of stress to spoil the Camino.
I have however booked accommodation for my first few days in Spain just to get off to a good start. I'll be travelling from the UK and as I live within a couple of miles of Portsmouth I'm taking the ferry to Santander. This'll take 25 hours so a great opportunity to unwind and explore the ship. I get into Santander on Weds Sept 19 stay overnight, travel next day to Pamplona, stay overnight, then on Friday Sept 21 move on to SJPP arriving midday, explore the place, visit the Pilgrim's Office and will stay in private accommodation that night. For Day 1 I have prebooked into the albergue at Roncesvalles. Beyond that I have no fixed plans and so it''ll be a case of (as Doris Day famously sang) - "Que Sera, Sera'. Whatever will be, will be." Can't put it any better than that.

I hope you and your husband have a great Camino and that September and October's weather is kind to all of us. There is some chance that I may catch up to you both at some point. You never know!

Loved walking in Sept/October! Happy that you allowed yourselves time to enjoy the Camino without rushing...my suggestion? Avoid the 'stages' listed in guidebooks...set your own course at your own pace and walk with joy ! Buen Camino!

I like the idea to take the stages as fit your need and not be pressured to stop st guide book destination points

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tay & I . . . I am sorry you are having a problem getting through to Orisson. Not surprising, give en my experience. I encourage you to keep trying, they are famous for not being very responsive. I would step-up the emails to see what happens. By the way, I recall, there is also another alburge just before Orisson. I do not recall the name (perhaps another pilgrim can help here) but it should be easy to uncover. That might also be an option before taking on Roncesvalles. Stay the course. Rover

Thanks for your reply Rover.
I have just heard from Orisson and received the invoice so now beginning to feel as if we are really going . Also booked for Albergue Roncesvalles. Never been so organized in my life being a take it how it comes sort of person .
Gracias . Que tengas un gran dia

On my Camino, I started in SJPdP and walked to Roncesvalles...however, the next time I will be booking with Orisson. The reason isn't that Roncesvalles is impossible...I made it the first time. But after my walk I thought about this...it's not every day you can sleep in the Pyrenees. I should have stopped, relaxed all day and taken in that view. Next time I will. Have a beautiful walk. The Camino will provide. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have just heard from Orisson and received the invoice so now beginning to feel as if we are really going . Also booked for Albergue Roncesvalles. Never been so organized in my life being a take it how it comes sort of person .

You won't regret making a reservation for one minute. It's not just a place to rest your head for the night, it's a lovely experience. You'll eat as a group and share names and stories...It's fascinating to hear where all of your fellow pilgrims have travelled from...you meet the world at Orisson. I raise a glass to Jean Jacques and his family !

Last edited:
Tay and I are not starting unti, the 30th September now, just thought we would wait for school hols to start and spend a week in Paris first.

See you out there! My wife and I start from SJPdP on 14 September and are staying in Orrison that night (our only reservation - we're going to let the adventure take us where it will). Then on to Roncesvalles for the 15th and whatever may come next! Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
See you out there! My wife and I start from SJPdP on 14 September and are staying in Orrison that night (our only reservation - we're going to let the adventure take us where it will). Then on to Roncesvalles for the 15th and whatever may come next! Buen Camino!
My husband and I are starting in St Jean on the 15th and planning to walk to Roncesvalles. And from there, letting the Camino unfold. Perhaps our paths will cross. Buen Camino!

There's no substitute for persistence! Glad you were able to secure a bunk in Orisson. It will be a good launching point for day two, Roncesvalles, which will be a long day. Travel safe and savor life and all its pleasures.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Getting excited when I read this comments! My brother is from South Africa and I am in Canada. We'll meet in CDG and sleep over in SJPD on the 18th to start walking on 19th September. We are both over in our mid 60's. A journey to reconnect. And we may meet some of you on our way!

How do I book Roncevalles. On Tuesday eve I clicked and filled out what looks like a preregistration that noted valid only once paid--but did not see a payment link. I did not get a confirmation email for the preregistration so far (Wednesday eve--does one get one at all?), so I don't know if I should log in again and find a payment link somewhere, or wait till I get an email stating the date is free and I can pay? Thankx!

Found it! On the English pre-reservation page, the payment page won't load, but it will on the Spanish page.

How did it go for you two? My husband and I are (older) and planning to walk for the first time Sept 2019. Trying to decide best time to start - not too hot, not too cold ... but know nothing is inevitable! We had started briefly training but need to start in earnest again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How did it go for you two? My husband and I are (older) and planning to walk for the first time Sept 2019. Trying to decide best time to start - not too hot, not too cold ... but know nothing is inevitable! We had started briefly training but need to start in earnest again.
We had an amazing experience. It took us 39 days to walk from St. Jean to Santiago, taking 2 rest days (in Burgos and Leon). We were blessed with beautiful weather; it was a great time to go. We did St. Jean to Roncesvalles in one day . . . took us 11 hours. We are moderate walkers and stopped a lot to take everything in. My advice to anyone after our walk is to allow plenty of time (if you can) and to not be in a hurry. We only booked ahead for hotels in big cities (Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Santiago) and stayed in alburgues the rest of the time; we always had a place to stay. We tried to walk at least 20 km every day, and often were closer to 23 or 24, only a few times did we do more. You might consider breaking up the first day and make reservations in Orisson; I think the experience there is worth if (from what I have been told). I would also make reservations in Roncesvalles, which we didn't. Had to be taxied to the nearest open lodging, then taxied back the next day. We also tried to stay in towns that were not on Brierly's stage stops as much as possible which helped a bit with lodging and the number of people we started each day with. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

We had an amazing experience. It took us 39 days to walk from St. Jean to Santiago, taking 2 rest days (in Burgos and Leon). We were blessed with beautiful weather; it was a great time to go. We did St. Jean to Roncesvalles in one day . . . took us 11 hours. We are moderate walkers and stopped a lot to take everything in. My advice to anyone after our walk is to allow plenty of time (if you can) and to not be in a hurry. We only booked ahead for hotels in big cities (Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Santiago) and stayed in alburgues the rest of the time; we always had a place to stay. We tried to walk at least 20 km every day, and often were closer to 23 or 24, only a few times did we do more. You might consider breaking up the first day and make reservations in Orisson; I think the experience there is worth if (from what I have been told). I would also make reservations in Roncesvalles, which we didn't. Had to be taxied to the nearest open lodging, then taxied back the next day. We also tried to stay in towns that were not on Brierly's stage stops as much as possible which helped a bit with lodging and the number of people we started each day with. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Thank you!
We are planning on "taking our time" -- maybe even nor scheduling our flight home until closer to the time we think we will be coming home. I will make reservations in Orisson for sure!
Wow! Right now 20 km seems like a lot to me ... Were the days really short by the end?

Thank you!
We are planning on "taking our time" -- maybe even nor scheduling our flight home until closer to the time we think we will be coming home. I will make reservations in Orisson for sure!
Wow! Right now 20 km seems like a lot to me ... Were the days really short by the end?
If you can wait to schedule your flight home that would be ideal. We met some people who were walking 10 - 15 km / day. We were very comfortable with 20 km (a little over 12miles). Many were walking more. We just paid attention to how far apart lodgings were and then walked until we knew we didn’t want to walk on to the next stop each day. There were a couple of days longer than planned because of a closed alburgue or the distances between them. It all worked out. We took one day at a time. That way we let the Camino unfold.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you can wait to schedule your flight home that would be ideal. We met some people who were walking 10 - 15 km / day. We were very comfortable with 20 km (a little over 12miles). Many were walking more. We just paid attention to how far apart lodgings were and then walked until we knew we didn’t want to walk on to the next stop each day. There were a couple of days longer than planned because of a closed alburgue or the distances between them. It all worked out. We took one day at a time. That way we let the Camino unfold.
I keep saying (to my husband especially!) that we will just take "one day at a time"and I love the idea "to let it unfold." Again, thank you.

I am 73 and just completed the Camino Francis in 41days. I walked about 20 kms a day or less . I walked every day but spent some hours in the larger cities by walking less that day, even as little as 6 kms. I stayed away from the stage stops ( Brierlys) and found my accommodation through the guide book or even Booking.com. I rang ahead each night and arranged where I would stay in advance as I sent my main backpack ahead with jacko trans. I do recommend you stay st Orrisson and then Roncesvalles and book ahead but along the way consider Private hostels and enjoy the towels and sheets . Don’t try to make your daily walking goal too long . Enjoy the walk , the cafes and friendships you will make . Honestly, the Camino is not a hard walk , it’s not a tramp. I was never exhausted . There are ups and downs in terrain and circumstances but at the end you will wonder at how quickly the time went . Consider bed bugs seriously and encase all your clothes and sleeping bag in outer dry cell bags. Laugh a lot !!

How do I book Roncevalles. On Tuesday eve I clicked and filled out what looks like a preregistration that noted valid only once paid--but did not see a payment link. I did not get a confirmation email for the preregistration so far (Wednesday eve--does one get one at all?), so I don't know if I should log in again and find a payment link somewhere, or wait till I get an email stating the date is free and I can pay? Thankx!
... use pay pal to
Pay but be sure to include the pay pal
Fee E4.50 Approx ...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I keep saying (to my husband especially!) that we will just take "one day at a time"and I love the idea "to let it unfold." Again, thank you.

Knowing your capabilities...how far you can walk each day is key to planning? If you are not sure of your pace and endurance then booking does not make much sense. Nevertheless do book Orisson and Roncevalles!

We started in SJPdP on Oct 1st! Almost all of the private places between there and Pamplona were filled!
I really respect your go with the flow stance. However, for this first section, if you are starting the month of September or early October, you may need to walk on or take a taxi if you do not have reservations. Many people want complete flexibility so they do not book ahead. From my perspective , if I am forced to take a taxi to a town that I really do not want to stay in that night - because there are no vacancies ... when I can plan ahead to be where I want...planning ahead is my preference.

Last edited:
After you get to zubiri you will have a good idea of your capacity for daily walking which will also depend on the hills involved and downward trail if that is an issue . It will also depend on the distances between cafe stops and where the hostels are available . It is not something you will know now. You will feel it and no doubt be excited at your progress .

Plan with flexibility for less rather than more at the start. I suggest you send your bags on at least to start . That way you won’t need to worry about the weight and heat on your back. It was still hot in Oct this year. All transporting of bags can be organized on a day to day basis starting in SJPDP and works like magic . Idea Orisson , Roncevaux, Zubiri, Pamplona, rest and explore Pamplona for part of the day and then walk 5 kms to Czur Menor for the night then walk the next day to Uterga and onward etc as you deceive you walking pace . It is a journey an experience not daily distance goals . My “average” was about 3kms per hour . Don’t forget photographs and comfort stops . Enjoy enjoy enjoy

All bookings of hostels / albergue can be done the night before with a simple phone call / basic Spanish only from google translate is needed. The bags turn up like magic and you can ask for bottom bunks if that is an issue too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Congratulations! You are about to embark on one of life's true adventures. I soloed the Camino Francis two years ago. I started out from SJPP after spending two nights and had an amazing journey over the subsequent six weeks I spend savoring what became a transformative experience for me. This forum offers great advice and insights so take advantage of it and its varying ideas and opinions of those who have gone before you. Happy Trails.

Perhaps we'll meet along The Way. My wife, Suzie, daughter and two friends walked Camino Frances in 2014. A group of 5 can be complicated. This year we declared Our Year of Completion - many things show up in our busy lives. It will be just the two of us - our "60-60-40 Tour" - we both achieved 60 and celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary. We'll be in SJPP the weekend of 14 and 15 September and begin walking Monday, 16 September to Orisson. We'll stay in Roncevalles but will bypass Zubiri as we're taking an extra day to get to Pamplona. Leaving Roncevalles, we'll stop in Lintzoain and then in Akerreta.

We'll bypass Pamplona as we'll be staying there on our first night after arriving from Texas. After that, who knows? Planning a the first few days takes the guess work out of "learning" the Camino. Once you get your rhythm it's easier to let the Camino come to you.

For first-timers, my only advice is that you can only have one "First Camino". There is no need to rush or worry or to over-think the process. There is peace to be found on The Way to Santiago.

Ultreia!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.