• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting April 22, 2022, to contemplate carreer change

mamu

Time of past OR future Camino
22. April 22, Camino Francaise, St. Jean
Heyo fellow Pilgrims,

will start my first Camino from St. Jean Pied de Port on 22nd of April 2022. I'm a software engineer from Bavaria (Germany), took three month of unpaid vacation to contemplate the question wether to stay in SW Development or to do something completeley different, e.g. work in an organic supermarket.

Can't wait to start!

Buen Camino!

mamu

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Heyo fellow Pilgrims, will start my first Camino from St. Jean Pied de Port on 22nd of April 2022. I'm a software engineer from Bavaria (Germany), took three month of unpaid vacation to contemplate the question wether to stay in SW Development or to do something completeley different, e.g. work in an organic supermarket. Can't wait to start! Buen Camino! mamu

Wishing you peace and enlightenment as you discern future directions!
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
to contemplate the question wether to stay in SW Development or to do something completeley different,
You are in very good company, @mamu — young people (and not so young people) everywhere are thinking your thoughts!

Yesterday’s New York Times had a bunch of 6 little snippets about people who either lost or quit their jobs during the pandemic and how they changed their lives. Maybe you will write one of those stories someday.

I have tried to put in a link that anyone can see without a subscription, but sometimes I mess that up.

Have a wonderful camino, may it be a chance to reassess, rethink, and just enjoy being alive, while at the same time testing you in so many different ways!

The first time I walked the Camino it was August when every other pilgrim seemed very young with 'problems'. As an old man they often opened up to me; 'should I go to uni, change course , get a job, emigrate, divorce, career change, marriage problems.......Yes, all big and potentially life changing events. Conscious or not they were using the Camino as a retreat, time out of this world, to spend a month contemplating their 'problems'. Was I any help? Well us oldies have problems of our own but the kids didn't give me time to think. Buen Camino mis peregrinos

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well us oldies have problems of our own ...
So true, but also interesting, isn't it? When I was young I always thought it'll get easier when I'm getting 50; now that I'm 50, it seems that it was easier when I was young. Maybe I'm still a snowflake, lol.

How wonderful and brave of you to take the time to contemplate and reassess your professional life and goals. I’m someone who « simmers » meaning most of the time I’m thinking about a major decision I want to make and it sits for awhile and it simmers, like you are doing. As I get older and reflect on those moments in my life I came to the conclusion that I always had the answer and knew what needed to be done. I just had to figure out how to do it and most importantly have the courage to do it.

May each footfall give you the clarity you seek and let your eyes and spirit also enjoy the beauty surrounding you in Spain.

Buen Camino ❤️

Heyo fellow Pilgrims,

will start my first Camino from St. Jean Pied de Port on 22nd of April 2022. I'm a software engineer from Bavaria (Germany), took three month of unpaid vacation to contemplate the question wether to stay in SW Development or to do something completeley different, e.g. work in an organic supermarket.

Can't wait to start!

Buen Camino!

mamu

I have a few things in common with you: I was a sw engineer for 25 years, I was raised by my German father but in the US, I have many relatives in Lower Saxony whom I spend time with, and I have walked the French route among some other routes.

I had four SW jobs but spent most of my 25 years at two companies. The first company treated all of us terribly (about ten years) and the last company (about 13 years) treated us like royalty and challenged us to be the best engineers in the industry. In both cases, I was held there because I to support my family but the days spent at each place were vastly different. The only way I survived the first job was my focus on the intellectual process of SW development allowing me to tune out the complications from all around. Whereas at my last job, I looked forward to getting to the office each day and working on challenging projects with intelligent/motivated colleagues.

So if I discovered the camino during my first job I would have never found that last job, a very rewarding 13 years. If I discovered the camino during my last job I would have continued to work there and managed my time-off to walk a different route each year.

In a few weeks, you will start your incredible journey across Spain and you will be blown away by the experience. Walking to the end at Muxia will be significant and put a lot of of things into relevant context.

Separately, here a few a few tips:
  • use trail runner shoes, one size larger than normal, and not gore-tex. your feet need to stay cool and dry.
  • use wool or synthetic socks that wick away moisture
  • carry less than 8KG, even less is better
  • pay attention to your feet, care for them daily
  • all of the above and more works for me and not necessarily for you. I have friends who wear mountaineering boots, carry a 65 liter backpack, and do just fine

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
the last company (about 13 years) treated us like royalty and challenged us to be the best engineers in the industry.
Yep, I know that feeling, my current company backs my decision. They said, "well, you could quit, but what about coming back or taking an unpaid holiday", great guys! One of the best companies I've ever worked for, love them.

@Crosscheck Rider - thanks for your tips, shoes are my major concern, got two pairs of ON Shoes (Swiss company), very lightweight, one's only mesh, the other GTX, the GTX is swetty, think I'll bring them both, fit is perfect. Will try to counter blisters with frequent sock changes and wearing the mesh ones when it's not raining. Pack weights around 8.5kg without water, so I'm quite confident it'll work.

@peregrina2000 - thank you for sharing this NYT article, very inspiring :)

And to the rest I didn't mention, THANKS for your nice words :)

Yep, I know that feeling, my current company backs my decision. They said, "well, you could quit, but what about coming back or taking an unpaid holiday", great guys! One of the best companies I've ever worked for, love them.

@Crosscheck Rider - thanks for your tips, shoes are my major concern, got two pairs of ON Shoes (Swiss company), very lightweight, one's only mesh, the other GTX, the GTX is swetty, think I'll bring them both, fit is perfect. Will try to counter blisters with frequent sock changes and wearing the mesh ones when it's not raining. Pack weights around 8.5kg without water, so I'm quite confident it'll work.

@peregrina2000 - thank you for sharing this NYT article, very inspiring :)

And to the rest I didn't mention, THANKS for your nice words :)
You are well prepared! Now you just follow the arrows and enjoy the journey ahead

Heyo fellow Pilgrims,

Can't wait to start!

Buen Camino!

mamu
I hope you find your happy place and enjoy that change. I too am about to change life pretty dramatically. Will see where the journey takes me. I hope your path is full of wonder and amazement. (and no coding).. enjoy the path...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.