• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting The Camino Frances April 2, 2022

Troublisimo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I am really stoked about starting the Camino April 2nd at St Jean. I have my first night on the Camino booked at Auberge Borda. I am looking forward to meeting my fellow Pelegrinos on the Way. Buen Camino. Brian PS. My trail name on the Pacific Crest Trail was Trouble. It has morphed into Spanglish Troublisimo meaning "A lot of Trouble."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Congratulations!! Will Auberge Borda bring you back to the Valcarlos route if the Napoleon is still closed?

I am really stoked about starting the Camino April 2nd at St Jean. I have my first night on the Camino booked at Auberge Borda. I am looking forward to meeting my fellow Pelegrinos on the Way. Buen Camino. Brian PS. My trail name on the Pacific Crest Trail was Trouble. It has morphed into Spanglish Troublisimo meaning "A lot of Trouble."
Hi - good luck and see you on the trail - I am starting in Pamplona on April 7 or 8

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Congratulations!! Will Auberge Borda bring you back to the Valcarlos route if the Napoleon is still closed?
If the Route Napoléon is closed I will have to change my plans and not go up there. I was out on a 10 km training walk in -12C, with blowing snow, this morning testing out some of my kit. Everything was super. I was wearing a Patagonia Calcite Gortex jacket. When they say 100% wind proof they aren't kidding. I stayed dry and warm. Walking the Camino in April means my total pack weight (6 kilos [13.25 lbs]) will be heavier with clothing appropriate for most conditions. I am hoping that I will be prepared for most any weather the Camino throws at me. There is an expression in the long distance hiking community, "The is no such thing as as bad weather, just poor equipment choice." I have been closely watching the weather in SJPP and Roncesvalles (I love the weather channel app) the past two months. Although there is some rain now it has been quite warm and relatively dry. I spoke with Laurent a couple weeks ago up at Auberge Borda and he said that it was 15C up there with no snow on the grounds. Even Roncesvalles is getting days of15C weather. Although lots of things can change my hope is that there isn't a lot of snow on the ground in April.

My wife and I are on nearly the same schedule, just a couple of days behind you. We'll be starting from SJPP on the 4th, staying in Auberge Borda that night, and then on to Roncesvalles the next day. Hope to see you somewhere along the way...buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hope the weather for the month of April okay just as my previous camino in April, 2017.
I had a fairly good weather with a few occasions of freezing and heavy rain on the very last day in Santiago.

I am really stoked about starting the Camino April 2nd at St Jean.

I am starting in Pamplona on April 7 or 8

We'll be starting from SJPP on the 4th

My camino start from SJPP on April 6th
If anyone wants to be added to the list of forum members starting on the Camino on any date in April, please go to this thread and add a post with your starting date and location. We are not adding people to the list (in post #1 of that thread) unless they request it on that thread. :)

Now starting April 7 just walking from Pamplona to Cizur Menor, after arriving in Pamplona that morning from Madrid (and Canada). April 8 first real day walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If the Route Napoléon is closed I will have to change my plans and not go up there. I was out on a 10 km training walk in -12C, with blowing snow, this morning testing out some of my kit. Everything was super. I was wearing a Patagonia Calcite Gortex jacket. When they say 100% wind proof they aren't kidding. I stayed dry and warm. Walking the Camino in April means my total pack weight (6 kilos [13.25 lbs]) will be heavier with clothing appropriate for most conditions. I am hoping that I will be prepared for most any weather the Camino throws at me. There is an expression in the long distance hiking community, "The is no such thing as as bad weather, just poor equipment choice." I have been closely watching the weather in SJPP and Roncesvalles (I love the weather channel app) the past two months. Although there is some rain now it has been quite warm and relatively dry. I spoke with Laurent a couple weeks ago up at Auberge Borda and he said that it was 15C up there with no snow on the grounds. Even Roncesvalles is getting days of15C weather. Although lots of things can change my hope is that there isn't a lot of snow on the ground in April.
Even with climate change, I wouldn’t bet on no snow! Several years ago in the Swiss Alps… They virtually had no snow at 3000meters in April. Then in May, they got 5 feet of snow in two days! One never knows.

I do hope the high route is open to you!

Last edited:
I arrive in SJPP on March 31st for my first camino: I notice there’s been full sun for weeks and then on the April 1st heavy snow fall on the napoleon route 😂. I may stay a second night in SJPP to see if the Saturday has better walking conditions. I hope to stay at aubergue borda! Buen camino ♥️

I arrive in SJPP on March 31st for my first camino: I notice there’s been full sun for weeks and then on the April 1st heavy snow fall on the napoleon route 😂. I may stay a second night in SJPP to see if the Saturday has better walking conditions. I hope to stay at aubergue borda! Buen camino ♥️
Good luck. I will pray for Sun as well!!!! I start on Sunday

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back