• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Leon 11 May '15

MichelleC

Hello all! I'm beginning my 1st Camino in honor of my 50th birthday. Wanting to walk alone, but definitely want to eat with friends ... staying in albergues and hotels - wherever the winds take me. Would love to hear from you! Buen Camino! Michelle, NC/USA

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome, Michelle! From León you're sure to meet a lot of new friends, but you'll also have the space you need to walk alone. I walked from León to Ponferrada last year in April, and while there were plenty of people on the trail to make things interesting, social, and fun, it also wasn't so crowded that I couldn't get reflection/ alone time when I needed it. Granted, I didn't do the Sarria - Santiago stretch last year, and that's where more of the crowding usually happens. If you have an open and flexible attitude it will be a good Camino no matter what :). Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino! Happy Birthday!

Welcome, Michelle! From León you're sure to meet a lot of new friends, but you'll also have the space you need to walk alone. I walked from León to Ponferrada last year in April, and while there were plenty of people on the trail to make things interesting, social, and fun, it also wasn't so crowded that I couldn't get reflection/ alone time when I needed it. Granted, I didn't do the Sarria - Santiago stretch last year, and that's where more of the crowding usually happens. If you have an open and flexible attitude it will be a good Camino no matter what :). Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino! Happy Birthday!
Thank you Nate! Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello MichelleC, you will probably see me on the road.
I am walking from Astorga 13.05 and may be from Hospital the 12.05. Buen camino!
Randi

Randi, I'm looking to stay in the albergue in Villares de Orbigo on 12/5. Looks like you have hiked the Camino extensively... is it better to stay in Hospital? I do hope I see you on the road. Buen Camino! M

is it better to stay in Hospital?
There are more choices for food, drink, and lodging in Hospital, so it may be a better place for a first camino. Try the sopa de trucha, a regional speciality! Villares de Orbigo has a very nice albergue, but there is one bar/restaurant. The meal choice is cena at the albergue or the bar. Honestly, the albergue has better food!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Randi, I'm looking to stay in the albergue in Villares de Orbigo on 12/5. Looks like you have hiked the Camino extensively... is it better to stay in Hospital? I do hope I see you on the road. Buen Camino! M
Hi Michelle
I stayed at that albergue 3 nights ago and it was awesome. Christina cooks an amazing meal and provides spotless accomodation.
Can I also recommend the last albergue in Rabanal at the monastery. By donation , lovely gardens and close to restaurants.

There are more choices for food, drink, and lodging in Hospital, so it may be a better place for a first camino. Try the sopa de trucha, a regional speciality! Villares de Orbigo has a very nice albergue, but there is one bar/restaurant. The meal choice is cena at the albergue or the bar. Honestly, the albergue has better food!
Thank you Falcon.

Thank you Frasert. I think I'm going to stick with my original choice and try Christina's cooking! Don't know about staying in Rabanal yet... but I appreciate the information. Michelle

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have only walked the noneroadroute once. Then I stayed in Hospital. Nice place to stay.
Grogans post in Live on the camino some days ago warn other pilgrims against the route via the Villares because of mud and roadwork. He says take the
road. I wanted to start in Hospital to visit the beautuful the bridge, but the roadwalking to Astorga is not tempting so I guess I start in Astorga where I have booked a place to sleep the12th. You will probably pass me on your way!

I have only walked the noneroadroute once. Then I stayed in Hospital. Nice place to stay.
Grogans post in Live on the camino some days ago warn other pilgrims against the route via the Villares because of mud and roadwork. He says take the
road. I wanted to start in Hospital to visit the beautuful the bridge, but the roadwalking to Astorga is not tempting so I guess I start in Astorga where I have booked a place to sleep the12th. You will probably pass me on your way!
Randi, thank you for alerting me to Grogans post... greatly appreciated. I shall walk the road, if it is raining... if it looks nice, I'm going to head on and keep walking. I'll be staying in Villadangos or Mazarife on the 12th, so it looks like I'll be a day behind you... I doubt I'll do more than 12mi /day... so no telling if I'll catch up to you. Stay well and buen Camino!

Hello all! I'm beginning my 1st Camino in honor of my 50th birthday. Wanting to walk alone, but definitely want to eat with friends ... staying in albergues and hotels - wherever the winds take me. Would love to hear from you! Buen Camino! Michelle, NC/USA
Hi Michelle,

My wife and I are starting from Leon on 11th May and hope to be in Santiago on June 3rd v(her 60th birthday). Hope to see you on the way. Buen Camino. Martyn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Michelle,

My wife and I are starting from Leon on 11th May and hope to be in Santiago on June 3rd v(her 60th birthday). Hope to see you on the way. Buen Camino. Martyn
Hello Martyn,
Thank you for getting in touch. Will you be staying in a hotel or albergue in Leon on Sunday night, the 10th? Would you like to meet before setting out on our Camino? I'd really like to know some familiar faces on the way :) ... I arrive via train around 2:30...

Hi Michelle, I mis you by a day. I started my camino in SJPDP the 18th of April and I will arrive in Leon at the 9th of May and leave at the 10th. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Randi, thank you for alerting me to Grogans post... greatly appreciated. I shall walk the road, if it is raining... if it looks nice, I'm going to head on and keep walking. I'll be staying in Villadangos or Mazarife on the 12th, so it looks like I'll be a day behind you... I doubt I'll do more than 12mi /day... so no telling if I'll catch up to you. Stay well and buen Camino!
The Villares route is newly graded but no worse then the muddy paths from sarria onwards

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Villares route is newly graded but no worse then the muddy paths from sarria onwards
Thank you very much for the information, Frasert. Your original enthusiasm regarding Christina's cooking in Villares has swayed me in that direction ... I have really good shoes that are broken in and waterproof ;) and I'm used to hiking on muddy paths here in NC.

Hello Martyn,
Thank you for getting in touch. Will you be staying in a hotel or albergue in Leon on Sunday night, the 10th? Would you like to meet before setting out on our Camino? I'd really like to know some familiar faces on the way :) ... I arrive via train around 2:30...
Hi Michelle,

Lovely to hear from you . We arrive in Leon by train at 17.40 (- we are coming from Alicante) and are staying in the Pension Blanca, 2 Villafranca . It is a small hotel close to the train station.

It would be great to meet up for a meal on the sunday night. Keep in touch and we will get together on the 10th...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Michelle,

Lovely to hear from you . We arrive in Leon by train at 17.40 (- we are coming from Alicante) and are staying in the Pension Blanca, 2 Villafranca . It is a small hotel close to the train station.

It would be great to meet up for a meal on the sunday night. Keep in touch and we will get together on the 10th...

Great Martyn, I'll drop by your hotel after 1800... give you some time to check in. I'm staying at the Paris Hotel. The address is 18 Calle Ancha. Safe travels to both of you...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.