• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Lourdes?

ktchnofdngr

Time of past OR future Camino
September '13, June '16, July '21, And July '22
Hey, all. I have been planning my trip to walk the Camino so that I could take a side trip to Lourdes and be there for Dec. 8th, then start walking from SJPDP on the 9th. It just occurred to me, though, that I might be able to start walking from Lourdes. Has anyone done that before, and could you tell me how much it would add to my overall walk on the Camino frances?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lourdes to SJPDP is a walk on the Pyrenees.

ktchnofdngr said:
Hey, all. I have been planning my trip to walk the Camino so that I could take a side trip to Lourdes and be there for Dec. 8th, then start walking from SJPDP on the 9th. It just occurred to me, though, that I might be able to start walking from Lourdes. Has anyone done that before, and could you tell me how much it would add to my overall walk on the Camino frances?

Thanks!

ktchnofdngr,

To begin your research on walking from Lourdes to the Camino Frances and eventually Santiago check out this useful Forum thread which provides further links to Forum members blogs >>
the-piemont-route/topic15874.html#p131107.

Remember whatever route you follow in December you will be in walking during winter and crossing many mountains. It is necessary to BE PREPARED for extreme weather conditions!!

Margaret Meredith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked to Compostela via Lourdes in 2005, stopping off in Lourdes for 2.5 days.

If my knee could let me walk the Camino again, that's where I'd start.

I would definitely suggest NOT following the "official" route from there, especially in December, but to stick to the small départementales roads in the foothills -- if you do this, it's not that difficult (though you'll need your woollies).

I'd suggest the couple following things --

1) Lourdes is a pilgrim's destination in itself, so if you start from there, plan on staying at least two nights both in celebration of completing this first pilgrimage, and in preparation for the further pilgrimage to Compostela.

2) Get your first stamp on your Credencial at the PARISH Church, not the Grotto -- but get your stamp from there AS WELL (it's a particularly elegant one :)), as well as from whichever hostelry you end up in -- unlike the Lourdes or Rome or other pilgrim destinations, the Santiago route is technically from parish to parish, until the cathedral parish of Santiago -- whereas all other Christian pilgrimages are far more clearly focused on the destinations, so that however you get there (walking, cycling, bus, car, aeroplane) is far less important than on the Camino.

erm, I'm not sure if I can remember enough to recommend any eateries frequented by the Lourdais themselves, rather than the religious tourists, but good luck on that score !!!

Otherwise, you should be able to avoid any severely wintry conditions except for the actual crossing into Spain, whether you choose the Somport route or the SJPP one.

Ultreia !!! And may our Lady of Lourdes bless your pilgrimage.

Annie,

From your blog, it took you about a week to walk from Lourdes to Pamplona? I may have to stick with my original plan, if that is the case....i'm kind of locked in on what days I will have off at work...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will have to save that for another time, then, although I may take an extra day in Lourdes, then take a bus/train to pamplona rather than start in sjpdp. Since I am walking in winter, it may be a better idea anyway than trying to cross the Pyrenees in December on foot. I will have to think about it some more. Funny...here I am planning my first Camino, and I'm already looking to the possibility of another one!

hi i started in lourdes and went by train and bus to canfranc on the somport pass. walking from canfranc took 30 days averaging 17 miles a day or so, but apparently its possible to do it in 25 days. if thats any help to you, - hope so.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.