• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela after starting from Ponferrada?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
I've just read this article from the El Bierzo Digital website and I am a little puzzled. I use the translation tool in Google Chrome to read articles in Spanish so I may have missed some nuance. I'd be grateful if a native speaker or someone fluent in the language could comment.

In translation the article begins "The mayor of Ponferrada, Marco Morala, has taken advantage of the celebration of the day of Santiago Apóstol to publicize the intention of the government team to allow the Compostela to be obtained by those pilgrims who start the French Way from Ponferrada." It then goes on to say that the Ponferrada authorities are in conversation with the Archdiocese of Santiago who have the final say on the subject. As I understand the issue it has always been possible to receive a Compostela after walking from Ponferrada and according to the pilgrim office statistics over 2,500 people have done so already in this year alone. So the campaign appears to be asking for something that already exists. Have I misinterpreted the article? Are they asking for some additional special status for Ponferrada?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Bradypus!
I just listened to it twice and the sentence starting; advancing the obtaining the Compostela to Ponferrada! and what follows suggest to me more of a retarding of the distance required to qualify for a Compostela to Ponferrada instead of Sarria increasing the distance required!
Woody

It is always useful to look at more than one news source.

Apparently, Marco Morala is the new mayor of Ponferrada, he took office on 17 June 2023. He has plans to 'dynamize' the Camino de Santiago and the castle site to the greater benefit of Ponferrada. Some of the news articles describe his plan as wishing to make Ponferrada a salida del Camino de Santiago.

In the absence of being able to actually read the plan or hear how he presented it (to the press, I guess) it is difficult to say what this means. Maybe just a new label as "Official Starting Point of the Camino de Santiago" ... but that is really just idle speculation on my part. :cool:

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The modalities of awarding Compostelas and the distance between a town and Santiago de Compostela is not the issue here. Here are three news articles out of several others - the first one has an actual quote from the mayor about his Camino de Santiago plans: "hemos hablado de la posibilidad de adelantar la obtención de la Compostela con salida desde Ponferrada, con lo cual sería un impulso importantísimo para el Camino en El Bierzo".

Last edited:
The modalities of awarding Compostelas and the distance between a town and Santiago de Compostela is not the issue here.

In the article from La Nueva Cronica you posted above the mayor does seem to be suggesting that Ponferrada should be the minimum distance point for receiving a Compostela: "El alcalde de Ponferrada, Marco Morala, pretende que Ponferrada sea punto de salida del Camino de Santiago para conseguir los kilómetros necesarios para conseguir la Compostela."

"The mayor of Ponferrada, Marco Morala, intends that Ponferrada be the starting point of the Camino de Santiago to get the necessary kilometers to get the Compostela." (Google Translate)

Last edited:
I've just read this article from the El Bierzo Digital website and I am a little puzzled. I use the translation tool in Google Chrome to read articles in Spanish so I may have missed some nuance. I'd be grateful if a native speaker or someone fluent in the language could comment.

In translation the article begins "The mayor of Ponferrada, Marco Morala, has taken advantage of the celebration of the day of Santiago Apóstol to publicize the intention of the government team to allow the Compostela to be obtained by those pilgrims who start the French Way from Ponferrada." It then goes on to say that the Ponferrada authorities are in conversation with the Archdiocese of Santiago who have the final say on the subject. As I understand the issue it has always been possible to receive a Compostela after walking from Ponferrada and according to the pilgrim office statistics over 2,500 people have done so already in this year alone. So the campaign appears to be asking for something that already exists. Have I misinterpreted the article? Are they asking for some additional special status for Ponferrada?

Talking with Spanish pilgrims on the Via de La Plata many of them said they were there to avoid the “crowds” on the Frances and other caminos. Quiet a few of them discussed the idea of only granting the Compostela to those that walk a minimum of 200 kilometres or cycle 400. It was in the context of the tourist versus pilgrim debate. When talking about this I got the impression they saw it as something being considered by “the powers that be” and that it was an idea already being floated by many not just their individual opinion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Is it possible that the use of the English definite article "the" is a wrong translation? Perhaps the intent is to promote Ponferrada as "a" good starting point.
Perhaps. But I am finding it hard to understand why that would require the formal approval in writing from the church authorities in Santiago. That sounds like some more definite change is in mind.

Last edited:
I have read the article, in Spanish, and don’t understand it at all. To receive a Compostela at present, when walking, is doing the last 100 km on foot and obtaining 2 stamps per day. A Pilgrim can begin the Camino Frances anywhere that meets the above requirement ie Sarria. Perhaps he is wanting to highlight Ponferrada as a starting point? Why would this require any additional approval?
Ponferrada is currently the starting point for the Invierno to the left, and continuing on the Frances to the right towards O Cebreiro. It seems the mayor wants to highlight Ponferrada. There was no special mention of distance in this article.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the article from La Nueva Cronica you posted above the mayor does seem to be suggesting that Ponferrada should be the minimum distance point for receiving a Compostela
The new mayor of Ponferrada, Marco Morala, posted a link to this very article on his Facebook page with the comment: "Ponferrada busca ser punto de salida para conseguir la Compostela".

Twelve people put a "like" icon under his post. None of them asked a question.

How many of them, including the mayor, have walked to Santiago themselves I wonder ... :cool:

Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 12.38.34.png
As I understand it, in this article @Kathar1na linked to, it says they want to make Ponferrada a starting point to get the kilometers necessary to obtain a Compostela. That would be just over 200 km.
This would leave the Camino Inglés out of business (unless, maybe, you walk 100+ km in your home country before).
And I wonder: Would it mean
a) less people will walk a camino, because many may not be willing – or able – to walk the longer distance for their Compostela, or
b) the last 200 km will get as crowded as only the section Sarria-SdC has been to date ?

And I wonder
I wonder the same ... 😊. Thanks for your comment.

When you think through the various possible outcomes, including worst case and best case scenarios, for changing the 100 km limit to a higher limit, you end up with either a longer section of the Camino Francés that is as crowded as the Sarria to Santiago section currently is or with a lower annual number of peregrin@s walking and arriving at the Pilgrims Office and asking for a Compostela ...

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah, we are getting somewhere. This is a long-standing project. On his FB page, the mayor provides a link to the PonferradaAbierta website. And what do we find there? A blog entry dated 10 May 2019 about The Compostela:

Quote [translated from Spanish]: We will work with the aim for the Junta de Castilla y León to establish the necessary agreements with the Xunta de Galicia, the Archdiocese of Santiago and the institutions involved in modifying the criteria for obtaining the Compostela.

They've apparently been working on it since 2019. Was 2019 the year when the 300 km idea was floated for the first time by a Camino association? I can't remember ...

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back