• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Sarria on Saturday 26th April

Hello, this Saturday is the big day! The camino starts in less than a week, and already my legs are shaking from fear! I have not prepared as much as I had hoped to; I have only walked 20km in day (flat) with numerous breaks, and today, walked 15km with only one stop. Day 3 (Palas do Rei to Arzua) demands that the legs and knees are able to cope with 28km! Has anyone out there done the camino relatively unprepared... and survived to tell the tale?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Sarah,

How nice it is to read of your imminent camino! Last October you were considering a pre-planned walk. Is that your current plan?

None of us are ever totally prepared, most do cope, and many learn to love the experience. Each pilgrim creates their own pattern as they move along. Take a deep breath, try to relax and walk at your own pace. ...Whatever may be will be memorable.

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Hi Sarah, I walked that section last September with my wife, she is not a walker, her "training walks" were about two to three km's a few times a week before we left. She walked the first two stages no problem, plenty brakes, after that we broke up the stages and finishes early as it was getting hot in the afternoons, it just means a day or so extra which was great as the walk lasted longer.
You will have no problems, enjoy every step and take plenty coffee breaks.
Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Day 3 (Palas do Rei to Arzua) demands that the legs and knees are able to cope with 28km!
Have a backup plan ready! The day from Portomarin to Palas de Rei starts with a pretty difficult climb up from the Rio Mino. By Day Three I suspect you will be "hurting." There are stopping points, Melide and Boente are good, that can break up the final days. If you change from the standard stopping points, you will improve your chances of finishing successfully. If you really are out of shape, Day Three could be your Waterloo. A friend of a friend joined us on a walk from Ponferrada, and the long day into Arzua was his last day. He had to take the bus into Santiago because he was immobilized by tendonitis. He was not a complainer, so we did not know how bad he was feeling until he was forced out. Unless you really are severely time limited, consider an extra day in your schedule.

Buen camino! :)

Sarah,

Here is an addendum to what I wrote earlier.
If you are NOT locked into a pre-booked itinerary the following places west of Sarria all have one or more albergues where you might choose where to stop each day; Barbadelo, Ferreiros, Portomarin, Gonzar, Palas de Rei, Melide, Arzua, A Rua/O Pino, and Arca. I have always found those run by the Xunta de Galicia to be a good value and very pleasant. For further on-line details scan the Forum's Day by Day stages and albergues
thread
or the Eroski Albergue list.

MM

Thank you all for your messages! I have booked my accommodation in advance (for fear of having to walk "to the next town as there is no room in this one!" To the more seasoned of you, this may seem like cheating, but it's my first camino (hopefully not the last!), so baby steps, baby camino, etc. So I HAVE to be able to walk the 23-28km per day or I will not be reunited with my luggage (yes, another camino cheat). As the camino is only 4 days away, there is no more time to build my muscles or lose the excess body weight (both of which I had intended to do as part of my camino prep!), there is only time for pushing ahead through the fear, and perhaps loading up my iphone with Olympic-effort-inspiring music to help get one foot in front of the other! I have been told it's considered rude to whine on the road (even from sheer pain and exhaustion) so if I do bump into anyone of you, I apologise in advance! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One question though -- I was hoping to carry as little water as possible, to keep my rucksack light. Is it safe to set off with only 500ml of water, as I'm hoping I can buy some along the way? As this is the last 100km, I'm guessing it should be pretty populated in terms of cafes / shops for pilgrims?

Sarah,

This is not Broadway! There are a few shops and some bars but hardly at every turning. Take two half liter bottles and top them up along the way whenever good water is available. When you do stop drink lavishly and at the end of each day also.

MM

Sarah,

This is not Broadway! There are a few shops and some bars but hardly at every turning. Take two half liter bottles and top them up along the way whenever good water is available. When you do stop drink lavishly and at the end of each day also.

MM
Thanks, Margaret! 1liter it is then!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back