• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from SJPDP on 7 April 2022

Streetfood

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Finisterre) 2017. Via dl Plata 2018. Portuguese 2019.
Departing Perth, Australia on 5 April. Arrive in Paris at 07:30 on the 6th then a 12:10 flight to Biarritz. Being pick-up by Express Bourricot at 14:00 & transported directly to St Jean (extra space available if anyone is interested). Overnight at Beilari Hostel to start on the Camino Frances on the 7th. Easy first day as only going as far as Orisson (Auberge Borda) & hoping that the conditions allow us to complete the Napoleon route on the 8th. From there we'll go with the flow but hoping to reach Santiago around 11 May.
After a break of 3 years I'm 'busting' to go!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Departing Perth, Australia on 5 April. Arrive in Paris at 07:30 on the 6th then a 12:10 flight to Biarritz. Being pick-up by Express Bourricot at 14:00 & transported directly to St Jean (extra space available if anyone is interested). Overnight at Beilari Hostel to start on the Camino Frances on the 7th. Easy first day as only going as far as Orisson (Auberge Borda) & hoping that the conditions allow us to complete the Napoleon route on the 8th. From there we'll go with the flow but hoping to reach Santiago around 11 May.
Great plan, plenty of time too. Your first two days might go tits up because of the weather but you’ll still manage it via the lower route, good luck..

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I must admit the thought of arriving in Paris and flying to Biarritz never occurred to me. My first Camino was 2014 and I travelled by various trains Paris to SJDP.
Late March this year I’m contemplating on a reduced Camino 21 day trek and I’ll investigate your advise in reaching SJDP from Biarritz.

Not sure how many hours your flight is, but you may want to factor in a day for jet lag.
Personally, I don't like flying into Paris and then going on by train.
I've done both and flying to Madrid, then taking a bus or plane to Pamplona, where I can rest a day or two works better for me. Then I bus or taxi to SJPP to begin walking. This way, I've SEEN Pamplona and when hundreds of pilgrims are jostling for beds, I can walk straight through to the other side and be ahead of the herd in the morning.

Great plan, plenty of time too. Your first two days might go tits up because of the weather but you’ll still manage it via the lower route, good luck..
Hola Mario Juan,
Going via Valcarlos is Plan B!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I must admit the thought of arriving in Paris and flying to Biarritz never occurred to me. My first Camino was 2014 and I travelled by various trains Paris to SJDP.
Late March this year I’m contemplating on a reduced Camino 21 day trek and I’ll investigate your advise in reaching SJDP from Biarritz.
Hi Greg,
I used this method on my first Camino in 2017. Back then I had to do a bus transfer from CDG to Orly for the flight to Biarritz. This was convenient & economical but somewhat stressful as the traffic can be horrendous so you need to factor this in when catching the connection. This time it will be easier as the Biarritz flight departs from CDG. Also in 2017 I used the cheaper option of a bus from Biarritz Airport to the Gare Bayonne then bus to SJPDP (the train was not running). I enjoyed this method (Biarritz > SJPDP) but it is a bit time-consuming waiting for connections. Express Bourricot is more expensive but will probably save 3-4 hours.

Not sure how many hours your flight is, but you may want to factor in a day for jet lag.
Personally, I don't like flying into Paris and then going on by train.
I've done both and flying to Madrid, then taking a bus or plane to Pamplona, where I can rest a day or two works better for me. Then I bus or taxi to SJPP to begin walking. This way, I've SEEN Pamplona and when hundreds of pilgrims are jostling for beds, I can walk straight through to the other side and be ahead of the herd in the morning.
Hi Anniesantiago,
I haven't done it that way but I can see the merits. I travel well on planes so jet lag has never been a major issue. Also my first 2 days are pretty easy. I've spent time in Pamplona so I may not overnight there this time but if I do I'm hoping (fingers crossed!) that the early April start will reduce competition for beds. I'm waiting to see if that hypothesis holds true.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.