• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in April

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
Is anyone starting from Le Puy in the first week of April? I’m starting on April 7 and was just wondering if there would be many pilgrims on the route at that time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No, you will not find me on the Le Puy in April, but I walked it last June as far as Auvillar and loved, loved it! Be prepared for incredible scenery, architecture, and cuisine so wonderful you will barely lose a pound!

And be prepared for cold and rain, especially on the Aubrac plateau (which you will cross in a day - it's not the Burke & Wills expedition!)
I echo Camino Chris - you'll love it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m starting on April 7
Holy Week starts the following Sunday, April 14 (Easter comes late in 2019). You'll pick up more pilgrim companions then. Also, many gites will open from Easter onward. Be careful to call ahead your first week, as many gites will still be closed.

Lots of good advice in previous posts.

I have walked across the Aubrac Plateau twice. The second time it was late April and I just missed snow. It fell the very night I descended from the plateau to Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac. The day before had been clear but extremely windy. So I would be cautionary about traversing the plateau in snowy conditions. The waymarks are occasionally cairns and are sometimes not very close to one another. So walk safely. Hopefully the weather you encounter will not be a factor.

If I were walking the plateau again at the time you are, I would email La Malle Postale and ask whether their transport services are operating in April. If these services are available, I would rest easy knowing that I could just skip a stage or two if I was worried about snow. I would also carry one of the strap-on devices (Stabilicers or Yaktrax) to help with footing if I were to decide to walk in snow.

Bon chemin + good weather: I wish you both.

Tom

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back